Ottawa

dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
edited October 14, 2006 in Journeys
Here are the photos from my recent trip to Ottawa, Ontario, the capital of Canada.

101240125-L-1.jpg
The Parliament Building (the Centre Block building and the Peace Tower) and the Eternal Flame. The Peace Tower contains the Memorial Chamber, which contains the Books of Remembrance. The books list the names of every Canadian who died in the service of his or her country. There are seven volumes containing over 118,000 names. My grandfather's cousin's name, Pvt. Hikotaro Koyanagi, appears on page 270 of the WW1 book.

101345456-L-4.jpg
View of Parliament Hill and the Ottawa River from Alexandria Bridge. This scene looks like something from a fairy tale.

Parliament consists of two chambers: the House of Commons and the Senate. The Commons was in session so we couldn't go in. This is the Senate chamber
101905528-L.jpg

Across Wellington St. from Parliament is the National War Memorial
101931996-L.jpg

and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier
101932001-L.jpg

If you go to Ottawa there are two museums you can't miss. One is the Canadian Museum of Civilization. Sorry, I don't have any good pictures of the museum. It is located across the Ottawa River in Hull, Quebec. The museum staff and all the exhibits are fully bilingual in English and French. This museum is absolutely fantastic.

The other is the Canadian War Museum, which I thought was even better than the Civilization museum. It's housed in a massive new building shaped like a concrete bunker. All signs at the museum are stenciled in yellow paint. The interior decor is bare concrete, gun metal gray, drab olive, desert khaki, and British Imperial red. The museum shows the history of war in Canada from before the Seven Years War (1754-1763) to the present day war in Afghanistan. Many of the exhibits and galleries are very moving and I was moved to tears more than once. This is the only good photo I have from the war museum, but honestly, this isn't the best part of the museum:
102318062-L.jpg

There's also the National Gallery. I really enjoyed the Canadian and European galleries, but for some reason the Photography Gallery was closed. That was really disappointing. The Abstract Expressionist gallery and the Contemporary galleries left me scratching my head.
101595145-L.jpg

102317559-L.jpg

I only got to spend three days in Ottawa so there was a lot I didn't get to see, but I really enjoyed my visit. Ottawa is definitely a museum and gallery town, which is great because I'm a museum and gallery type of guy.

By the way, if you're ever in Ottawa stop by Nate's Deli on Rideau St. and order the smoked meat sandwitch on rye with Swiss, and a side of cole slaw and dill pickle. It's to die for.

Comments

• gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2006
    Looks like you had a great time and got some very nice shots. The shot of Parliament Hill and the Ottawa River from Alexandria Bridge is spectacular.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • ESigginsESiggins Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2006
    These are awesome! The one of the guy looking at the painting is perfect.clap.gif
    Shoot, or shoot not. There is no try.
    http://esiggins.smugmug.com
  • JamieCJamieC Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2006
    dkoyanagi wrote:
    Here are the photos from my recent trip to Ottawa, Ontario, the capital of Canada.

Hey... my home town!

snip...

On the Canadian War museum, you wrote:
    dkoyanagi wrote:
    Many of the exhibits and galleries are very moving and I was moved to tears more than once.

You know, had I not actually experienced this myself, I would say your statement was a cliché, but indeed, there are exhibits in that museum that should move anyone to tears. Fantastic.
    dkoyanagi wrote:
    By the way, if you're ever in Ottawa stop by Nate's Deli on Rideau St. and order the smoked meat sandwitch on rye with Swiss, and a side of cole slaw and dill pickle. It's to die for.

Not to criticize, but to inform... If you ever come back, go to Dunns Deli on Elgin Street (http://www.dunnsfamous.com/), 5 minutes walking distance from the war memorial. I think their smoked meat is even better! Authentic Montréal style.

And thanks for some fantastic pictures of my home town!

Jamie
  • dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2006
    gluwater wrote:
    Looks like you had a great time and got some very nice shots. The shot of Parliament Hill and the Ottawa River from Alexandria Bridge is spectacular.
    Thanks Nick!
    edited October 14, 2006
    ESiggins wrote:
    These are awesome! The one of the guy looking at the painting is perfect.clap.gif
    Thanks ESiggins!
    edited October 14, 2006
    JamieC wrote:
    Hey... my home town!
    You know, had I not actually experienced this myself, I would say your statement was a cliché, but indeed, there are exhibits in that museum that should move anyone to tears. Fantastic.
    I wasn't bawling but I did have to take a moment and compose myself a few times, especially in the WW1 gallery.
    JamieC wrote:
    Not to criticize, but to inform... If you ever come back, go to Dunns Deli on Elgin Street (http://www.dunnsfamous.com/), 5 minutes walking distance from the war memorial. I think their smoked meat is even better! Authentic Montréal style.
    Jamie
    I'll definitely have to come back. Thanks for the info Jamie!
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2006
    Splendid, Don. Thanks for the tour.

The first shot, of Parliament from the bridge, is a view I have not seen before and it is magnificent!!!clap.gifclap.gif

I enjoyed the others as well, especially the last of the 4 colorful abstracts - wish I had a display place like that!!!

Thanks Again

ann
    edited October 14, 2006
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Splendid, Don. Thanks for the tour.

The first shot, of Parliament from the bridge, is a view I have not seen before and it is magnificent!!!clap.gifclap.gif

I enjoyed the others as well, especially the last of the 4 colorful abstracts - wish I had a display place like that!!!

Thanks Again

ann

Thanks Ann!
  • JamieCJamieC Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2006
    dkoyanagi wrote:
    I wasn't bawling but I did have to take a moment and compose myself a few times, especially in the WW1 gallery.
    For me it was the WWII holocaust room.
    dkoyanagi wrote:
    I'll definitely have to come back. Thanks for the info Jamie!

If you do, PM me, and we may be able to go out shooting. Looks like I could learn some things from you.

Jamie
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited October 14, 2006
    Good stuff. The 2nd shot and the two gallery shots really work well. That 2nd shot is just stunning.
  • Mickey57Mickey57 Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited October 14, 2006
    Hi Dan:
    Thank you for the beautiful pictures of Ottawa. It is funny how it is so easy to miss the beauty in your own back yard till someone shows you.
    I travel to Ottawa from Perth every week. Next time I will slow down throw out the tunnel vision and enjoy it like you certainly did.
    I really like your B&W photos. They are great.

Thanks for sharing
    Dan
    Dan
    Mickey57
    edited October 14, 2006
    truth wrote:
    Good stuff. The 2nd shot and the two gallery shots really work well. That 2nd shot is just stunning.

Thanks Truth! The 2nd photo is my favorite as well.
    edited October 14, 2006
    Mickey57 wrote:
    Hi Dan:
    Thank you for the beautiful pictures of Ottawa. It is funny how it is so easy to miss the beauty in your own back yard till someone shows you.
    I travel to Ottawa from Perth every week. Next time I will slow down throw out the tunnel vision and enjoy it like you certainly did.
    I really like your B&W photos. They are great.

Thanks for sharing
    Dan
    Thanks Dan. Ottawa is certainly a beautiful city. I know what you mean by tunnel vision. I have the same problem with my home town.