Options

I think I need a lens

2»

Comments

• Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited December 10, 2004
    shay wrote:
    I hope you don't mind me asking a couple of questions... I bought a canon 20d to take pictures of motorbike racing... I have been using an Olympus C-300 and this was the best result I could get

I want a zoom lens that can get good quality pictures of the riders. I don't want to spend a lot of money to start with and I also take scenery shots...

I don't know what type of lens I need to take reasonable quality pictures of these types. Thanks for your help.

Shay.
    Shay,
    If your example was shot at full tele, then you might need more reach than the 70-200mm provides. I guess it depends on how close to the action you can normally get. You'll probably want a lens with lots of reach for your motorcycle pics (something with at least 200mm's of tele). Most of these lenses have a pretty narrow FOV for scenery shots. You may find that 2 lenses are needed to get the "reasonable" quality (and "reasonable" focal lengths) you desire. A wide angle, or wide angle zoom (with the wide end somewhere in the 16-20mm range) for the scenery and a telephoto, or tele-zoom, for the motorcycle shots.

There are many really fine lenses out there. It would help us with our recommendations if we knew what sort of $ you're looking to spend.

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2004
    Shay,
    If your example was shot at full tele, then you might need more reach than the 70-200mm provides. I guess it depends on how close to the action you can normally get. You'll probably want a lens with lots of reach for your motorcycle pics (something with at least 200mm's of tele). Most of these lenses have a pretty narrow FOV for scenery shots. You may find that 2 lenses are needed to get the "reasonable" quality (and "reasonable" focal lengths) you desire. A wide angle, or wide angle zoom (with the wide end somewhere in the 16-20mm range) for the scenery and a telephoto, or tele-zoom, for the motorcycle shots.

There are many really fine lenses out there. It would help us with our recommendations if we knew what sort of $ you're looking to spend.

Steve
    Thanks for the reply Steve,

I was using an Olympus 3 megapixel point and shoot camera for those photos. The pictures of bikes were taken by anticipating where the bike would be and hoping it would be in focus. The 20d with its 5fpm should solve that problem. I would be taking shots from around the track and I have around $800 to spend. I don't want to be too ambitious but it I hope to capture the rider and bike at full lean as they go around a corner in enough detail to show which rider it is. The photo I posted isn''t clear enough to make out the race number on the bike. I emphasised the word reasonable quality because I am a little intimidated by the standard of photography here :D.

The 20d came with the 18 to 55 kit lens and I would like a large zoom lens to go with this. I will also be taking the camera and lens with me on my motorbike so a reasonabel size and weight are considerations.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Shay.
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited December 10, 2004
    shay wrote:
    Thanks for the reply Steve,

I was using an Olympus 3 megapixel point and shoot camera for those photos. The pictures of bikes were taken by anticipating where the bike would be and hoping it would be in focus. The 20d with its 5fpm should solve that problem. I would be taking shots from around the track and I have around $800 to spend. I don't want to be too ambitious but it I hope to capture the rider and bike at full lean as they go around a corner in enough detail to show which rider it is. The photo I posted isn''t clear enough to make out the race number on the bike. I emphasised the word reasonable quality because I am a little intimidated by the standard of photography here :D.

The 20d came with the 18 to 55 kit lens and I would like a large zoom lens to go with this. I will also be taking the camera and lens with me on my motorbike so a reasonabel size and weight are considerations.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Shay.
    Shay,
    There are some pretty decent choices out there, for that price. Here are a few for you to checkout, with their approximate prices.

Canon:
    70-200mm F4.0L $580
    200mm F2.8 $675

Sigma:
    70-200mm F2.8 $675
    100-300mm F4.0 $840

These are some of the most highly rated lenses,in this focal length/price range. You can get more telephoto reach with some less expensive lenses, but the image quality might not be as good, or as consistent. If you are looking to spend a little additional money (about $250 extra), you'd be in range of the Canon 70-200 F2.8L. Another very fine lens.

My philosophy is to get the best lenses I can afford, while covering the focal lengths I need covered. Afterall, we've got a very nice camera that will give us really good results. My feeling is that the role we play, in this, is to attach to the 20D, the best glass we can thumb.gif

I don't mean to sound like a lens snob, or an elitist, I mean I don't even have one single "L" lens. But, time and time again, I have seen that the quality of the glass used, equates to the image quality of the photo.

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2004
    which lens
    shay wrote:
    I would be taking shots from around the track and I have around $800 to spend. I don't want to be too ambitious but it I hope to capture the rider and bike at full lean as they go around a corner in enough detail to show which rider it is. The photo I posted isn''t clear enough to make out the race number on the bike. I emphasised the word reasonable quality because I am a little intimidated by the standard of photography here :D.

At a track like that you will not be able to get very close, and motocycles are small. You'll want at least 200mm. The Canon 70-200 is a great lens, in either 2.8 or 4 versions. But you will be using it at 200mm all the time. You might consider the 200mm/2.8L prime lens instead of the zoom. I would also consider a 1.4X teleconverter. My last recommendation would be the 100-400 zoom (which is more than you wanted to spend).

These photos I took at Texas Motor Speedway with the 70-200/2.8L. Some with the TC, some without. On a Canon 20D body.

http://mercphoto.smugmug.com/gallery/268563/2
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2004
    decision made
    I bought the Sigma 70 - 200 2.8

thanks for your help and advice, time to take loads of photosmwink.gif
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Lynn, did you end up buying something? I would be surprised if you hadn't pulled the trigger yet, but I thought I'd throw in another vote for the Canon 50mm f/1.8. Best (small) money spent I've spend on glass.
    Hi Eric.. I bought a Canon 50mm f/1.4 I think I love it but have'nt been able to really use it much (virus in the house) but already I want another one... a zoom.. but it's just complete and total greed.. and I must be disaplined..right?thumb.gif
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 11, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Fixed it for ya, doc. :lol
    umph.gif

and good for you Lynn! I have no idea when I'd use 1.4, but I'm sure you do - and will show us some nice examples thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    ubergeekubergeek Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited December 11, 2004
    f/1.4
    You use f/1.4 for the same things you'd use f/1.8, but when you want more. :D

Jeremy Rosenberger

Zeiss Ikon, Nokton 40mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.2, Nokton 50mm f/1.5, Canon Serenar 85mm f/2
    Canon Digital Rebel XT, Tokina 12-24mm f/4, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.4

http://ubergeek.smugmug.com/