Options

Another Newb question lol

Tim KirkwoodTim Kirkwood Registered Users Posts: 900 Major grins
edited December 11, 2004 in Finishing School
Whats the best way to "whiten" teeth, without it looking like you did, of course?

Tim
www.KirkwoodPhotography.com

Speak with sweet words, for you never know when you may have to eat them....

Comments

• Options
    ubergeekubergeek Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited December 10, 2004
    Whitening teeth
    Crest Whitestrips?

Jeremy Rosenberger

Zeiss Ikon, Nokton 40mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.2, Nokton 50mm f/1.5, Canon Serenar 85mm f/2
    Canon Digital Rebel XT, Tokina 12-24mm f/4, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.4

http://ubergeek.smugmug.com/

• Options
    edited December 11, 2004
    ubergeek wrote:
    Crest Whitestrips?

ummm......thanks.....ummm......I think....

Kinda looking for some instant results...lol

Healing brush???
    Not sure.

• Options
    ubergeekubergeek Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited December 11, 2004
    Whitening
    OK, with some seriousness this time...

First, select just the teeth. (Use the lasso tool, or the magic wand, or whatever works for you.) Then, try some of the color manipulation tools (color balance, brightness, etc.)--one of them will probably produce the results you're looking for. The nifty thing here is that the tool will apply only to the current selection (the teeth in need of whitening), so the color balance of the overall picture will be uaffected. Make sense? Good luck!

Cheers,
    Jeremy

Jeremy Rosenberger

Zeiss Ikon, Nokton 40mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.2, Nokton 50mm f/1.5, Canon Serenar 85mm f/2
    Canon Digital Rebel XT, Tokina 12-24mm f/4, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.4

http://ubergeek.smugmug.com/

• Options
    edited December 11, 2004
    ubergeek wrote:
    OK, with some seriousness this time...

First, select just the teeth. (Use the lasso tool, or the magic wand, or whatever works for you.) Then, try some of the color manipulation tools (color balance, brightness, etc.)--one of them will probably produce the results you're looking for. The nifty thing here is that the tool will apply only to the current selection (the teeth in need of whitening), so the color balance of the overall picture will be uaffected. Make sense? Good luck!

Cheers,
    Jeremy

thanks Jeremy I will try it out!

Tim

• Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2004
    You can also select the teeth and monkey with the brightness/contrast. You can even just paint some 30% opacity white on them with a brush.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2004
    whitening teeth in photoshop
    link 1

link 2
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2004
    Quick and easy way
    Whats the best way to "whiten" teeth, without it looking like you did, of course?

Select the teeth? Way too much trouble.

Grab a brush the size of a tooth, make sure you grab a "fuzzy" brush, go to the dodge tool, set it for 50% if you're timid, or leave it at 100% and just "brush the teeth"!

If the brush is small enough it won't affect the gums or lips and if the teeth are not evenly colored you can go over one tooth to bring it to the same whitness of the other teeth.

Don't over whiten.... it should look naturally white, not "retouched."

Use the bracket tools to make your brush larger or smaller if you have to. The idea is to hit the tooth once.

Writing this sounds like more work than selecting, but with selecting you have to be careful to have enough of a blur radius not to affect the gums and lips.

Neat thing about photoshop is there is usually not just "only one" way to do it.

You could also select the teeth and use a big brush to give one swipe of the dodge tool if you didn't want to deal with levels or curves or brightness...

There, a compromise method!
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2004
    Sounds to me like a job for the Cletus Method. The beauty of it is that you're working with a layer, so if you over do it, you can switch to the black brush and undo some of your work.

Also, because it's not a selection, you don't have to worry about a changed area looking radically different from its surrounds.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2004
    Here is my first attempts at teeth whitening. I also removed the bow from my brothers hair lol I should have caught it before the shot was taken. It was on the tree and the tree was rotating so I didnt notice it:D

DSC00924psteethSidebyside.jpg

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2004
    Hers look good. His seem to stand out a little. Maybe it's just me? ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au