Options

Wormsloe Historic Site - Savannah, Ga

savannahgasavannahga Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
edited December 11, 2004 in Landscapes
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]
Wormsloe Plantation was established in 1737 by Noble Jones, one of the first British colonists in the area, who arrived with James Edward Oglethorpe in 1733. The site is situated on a forested peninsula surrounded by coastal marshes and includes a plantation house built by Jones' grandson in 1828, a detached library, the tabby ruins of a colonial fortified house, a mile-long drive bordered by large live oaks, and Confederate earthworks.

Wormsloe was Noble Jones' country estate where he tested his horticultural interests. Jones protected the cypress and oak forests of his property and never cultivated the land. In addition to raising his family at Wormsloe, Jones also commanded here a company of Marines charged with Georgia's coastal defense. The surviving ruins of the original house are one of the only remaining examples of a fortified house, a common domestic design throughout early coastal Georgia.
[/font]

original.jpg

original.jpg

Comments

• Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2004
    Both of these images have an interesting look or texture to them, can we have the camera, setting and post info?
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2004
    Very nice, I love spanish moss hanging off the trees. thumb.gif Might consider losing the welcome sign in the 2nd?

Keep posting, let's see more from Savannah!deal.gif
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:
    Both of these images have an interesting look or texture to them, can we have the camera, setting and post info?
    Make-Nikon, Model-NIKON D70, Flash Used-No, Focal Length-22 mm, Exposure Time-1/100 sec, Aperture-f/5, In the Auto Mode since i'm still learning this camera.
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2004
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Very nice, I love spanish moss hanging off the trees. thumb.gif Might consider losing the welcome sign in the 2nd?

Keep posting, let's see more from Savannah!deal.gif
    Haha, I already cropped that right side once, there was a car bumper over there. I could not zoom past the sign, being that I could'nt get past the gate.
    (Had to pay to get in) Next time i'll go in. Besides, cropping it more would have thrown off the center.