Options

What res do you upload in?

chet79chet79 Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
edited October 19, 2006 in SmugMug Support
heya,

I just got myself a Canon 30D, and it produces 8MP pics. Currently I'm uploading 5MP pics from my Canon Ixus, and these take quite some time to upload in full res. I'm wondering what size I should upload my pics in?

Suggestions please.

Comments

• Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2006
    chet79 wrote:
    heya,

I just got myself a Canon 30D, and it produces 8MP pics. Currently I'm uploading 5MP pics from my Canon Ixus, and these take quite some time to upload in full res. I'm wondering what size I should upload my pics in?

Suggestions please.
    Hi Chet,

I shoot with a 30d too, and i upload in whatever resolution i get my pictures out of the camera. The less resizing, the less distortion.
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2006
    yeah it's probably for the best, and like you say, there's less distortion.
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2006
    chet79 wrote:
    yeah it's probably for the best, and like you say, there's less distortion.
    If you think it takes too long to upload, you can always start an upload just before you go to bed, or leave for work?
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2006
    that's what I do :)
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2006
    was just thinking - if I crop a pic, is it worth me resizing the pic back to it's original dimensions?
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2006
    chet79 wrote:
    was just thinking - if I crop a pic, is it worth me resizing the pic back to it's original dimensions?
    :nah why would you want to do that?
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2006
    not sure :S

so that all my photos are the same size? Guess it doesn't matter if people will be viewing them in S or M format?
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2006
    chet79 wrote:
    not sure :S

so that all my photos are the same size? Guess it doesn't matter if people will be viewing them in S or M format?

I struggle w/ this too...I'm not quite sure what the best approach is.

it bugs me that the 20D's images are 32 x 48 inches at 72dpi. My inclination is to resize to 5x7.5 at 300 dpi (approx. same pixel dimensions), but is there any merit to this? moreover, am I compromising quality by resizing? I rarely upload an image that hasn't been USM'ed or levels adjusted, so I'm almost always re-saving the image anyhow.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2006
    urbanaries wrote:
    I struggle w/ this too...I'm not quite sure what the best approach is.

it bugs me that the 20D's images are 32 x 48 inches at 72dpi. My inclination is to resize to 5x7.5 at 300 dpi (approx. same pixel dimensions), but is there any merit to this? moreover, am I compromising quality by resizing? I rarely upload an image that hasn't been USM'ed or levels adjusted, so I'm almost always re-saving the image anyhow.
    There has been alot of talk about dpi's on this forum ( you can search for it ), but the dpi setting is irrelevant for uploading and printing through smugmug. As long as the images meet the minimum pixel requirements, it does not matter what dpi they are set to. thumb.gif
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2006
    ivar wrote:
    There has been alot of talk about dpi's on this forum ( you can search for it ), but the dpi setting is irrelevant for uploading and printing through smugmug. As long as the images meet the minimum pixel requirements, it does not matter what dpi they are set to. thumb.gif

thanks for the info, ivar! as my visual comm life began in print design, I have 300 dpi beaten into my brain...
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2006
    I always upload in the highest resolution I can. If that photo is cropped from its original size, so be it. I also export at a quality of 12. I understand that it doesn't make a difference in printing, but it makes me feel better! :D

The only time I could see doing something at a lower quality (I hear 10 is still just fine) is when my file is just too large.

I'm still trying to understand why you would upload something smaller. The ONLY things I can come up with are upload speed (I use SE, get everything qued up and leave) and wanting to sell a digital download at smaller than 1MP. Other than that, I am not sure I understand the reasoning....

My 1cent worth! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2006
    I'm still trying to understand why you would upload something smaller. The ONLY things I can come up with are upload speed (I use SE, get everything qued up and leave) and wanting to sell a digital download at smaller than 1MP. Other than that, I am not sure I understand the reasoning....
    can I just ask what SE is?
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 19, 2006
    chet79 wrote:
    can I just ask what SE is?

Star*Explorer
    written by Nik
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2006
    I just upload batch RAW converted post processed JPG images out of the camera...either 8MP or 10MP. They are usually around 6-10MB each. I'll do a replace on them if they are bought and need touch up. I can upload 10 gigs of photos in around 14 hours. Thats 200KB/sec (1.6Mbps)....
  • Options
    floreschrisfloreschris Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2006
    1200 x 800. looks big enough on screen for me. although i might start doing prints soon..
    chrisfotos.smugmug.com