Options

1st portrait shoot...Pricing...

brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
edited October 20, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business
I will be doing my 1st paid portrait shoot this coming weekend. It will be shot outdoors in a wooded area near my home. (actually in a private hunting/fishing club to which I belong as a member.)
The couple (sister of my daughter's wonderful boyfriend, Ryan, and her fiancee) has asked me to do their engagement pics after seeing what I did for Ryan (Sr. portraits). I shot his free of charge as a gift and due to the fact that he has to pay for most everything his self (no help from home).
Anyway that's how I was asked to do this.
Now I shoot sports mostly and dance pics. Non-posed pics 99% of the time...
I've read a few threads here and checked out a few sites...

In my area MOST photogs charge minimal sitting fees and what I consider HUGE sums of cash for the actual prints. These photogs do fabulous work and have a huge reputation in the area. They also sell image sets for thousands to the local grads. Esp. the females...

Now starting out in this type of photography I feel confident I can take pics the people will be more than happy with. But I really do not expect a lot of prints to be sold.
A number of the SM'ers seem to up the sitting fee ($100 on the low end to $500 or more on the upper end) but then charge less for the prints...
I think this is the way I wish to go... Using the same fee structure I do for events. $100 per hour and then post the pics for sale to the couple...

Any thoughts either way?

My basic pic pricing is on this page...
http://www.brandolinoimaging.com/gallery/1106521
Low end pricing .. maybe, maybe not... but I sell a few pics.. enough to keep me shooting...

Most of my money comes from shooting events candids for a local company that caters to high school yearbooks...

Thanks for any input...

Comments

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2006
    In the 'for what it's worth column', I am planning to structure my pricing in a very similar manner (I'm just starting, have an appointment with the CPA tomorrow!).

I have a serious problem with photogs who charge huge $$ for print packages.

On the one hand, the photog is selling his skills short, hoping that the images will retain retail value into the future. But, I'm not sure this is valid. These sorts of shots are not art. Their shelf-life will be relatively limited. How many people will buy Sr. portraits, engagement portraits, or wedding picts 3 or 4 years into the future? Or even 6 months?

So, my pricing structure is aimed at selling the skill/talent/service as a one-off and high enough to cover my costs and make a profit. Then price the prints to encourage volume sales. I figure, lower price, more sales. As long as the print price is above my cost, life is good.
  • Options
    HallidayHalliday Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2006
    I'm in the "Pay more for the sitting fee and lower print prices" camp. Get more $$ upfront and if the prints get ordered, then great :)
    www.lanceshuey.com

I won't sell out even if the whole world think's I'm crazy.