Options

Flash meter question$

MontecMontec Registered Users Posts: 823 Major grins
edited October 23, 2006 in Accessories
I have been looking for a flash or light meter for a reasonable price...like $50 or so...

Anyone know of any inexpensive models? They all seem to be $200+

Thanks
Cheers,
Monte

Comments

• Options
    AntoineDAntoineD Registered Users Posts: 393 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2006
    Montec wrote:
    I have been looking for a flash or light meter for a reasonable price...like $50 or so...

Anyone know of any inexpensive models? They all seem to be $200+

Thanks

Well, fresh & news are mainly around $200 or so :D

But, try ebay.

What are you looking for ? A flashmeter exactly ? Not just a light meter. Well, you can try searching for cheap occasions but,when you buy a flashmeter, you rarely sell it quickly, so… well, try ebay.

Or buy a sekonic, something like the L308S which I own. Maybe something like $160 or so at B&H. If you can't afford it, tell it your family when Xmas comes :D
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2006
    here is a LINK to anice little Sekonic on ebay

There are several on ebay as I did a search for "light flash meters"....

if 120 is actually too much...I have a great working flash incident meter made by shepherd...a FM1000 that I would part with for $85.00 this will include shipping by USPS priority mail..have not taken the time to put it on the Flea Market yet.

Good luck.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2006
    I bought this Interfit Flash Meter from adorama for $54 new. I still want a Sekonic, but this one keeps me from guessing and relying on the LCD and or Histogram.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,895 moderator
    edited October 23, 2006
    The caution I have for folks entering the low end of flash photography is that there is often too much variablity for much reliable use.

For instance, a low-end meter, rated for +- 1/3 stop means that, in a two light setup, one light could be 1/3 stop low and the other 1/3 stop high, amounting to a 2/3 stop variance. If you are shooting a portrait expecting 1:3 lighting (the key light should be twice the fill), you may really be getting closer to 1:2 (balanced) or 1:4 lighting instead. Add in the variability from inexpensive flashes (If they don't emit consistant light at the same setting, or if they flash before full recycle) and you really don't have control over the lighting.

I am only saying that inexpensive flash meters can get you close, but don't expect them to replace verification of accurate exposure or to help at all with flash variability.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited October 23, 2006
    Good point Ziggy,

Pros pay for good tools for good reasons, not just to throw money away, or because they have money to burn. Good tools work, reliablely, and do not break.

I can't list all the cheap tools I have purchased in my life that I ultimately just replaced with what I really wanted in the first place.ne_nau.gif

I suggest renting good tools before buying cheap tools. You will know what a good tools is capable of, and what to expect with its use. You then may find the cheaper tool no longer appealing at all.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin