Options

Infrared with Canon 300d

PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
edited December 13, 2004 in Holy Macro
f5.6 - 20 seconds - 400iso - 18-55mm Kit lens - R72 Hoya IR Filter - MF
12569713-O.jpg
The photo itself is sucky. I just ran outside and took a shot to see if it would work. The arc is from some kind of light refraction.

I'll be testing and posting with the 50mm 1.8 (which is supposedly more IR sensitive) once I get a step-up ring.

Another crappy photo below :) Better ones to come later I promise :).

12569946-O.jpg

Post-processing done using Brad's action.
Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2004
    dan over at maxmax is converting a rebel as we speak.

hang in there and you can be in infrared nirvana soon!
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2004
    Sweet! thumb.gifthumb
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• Options
    edited December 13, 2004
    andy wrote:
    dan over at maxmax is converting a rebel as we speak.

hang in there and you can be in infrared nirvana soon!
    Looks like someone has already documented the entire process...
    http://ghonis2.ho8.com/rebelmodnew.html

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 13, 2004
    how hard was it to get the right exposure? I haven't tried it all, but I know my buddy with his D70 has no metering with IR. Is the Canon a bit smarter by any chance?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited December 13, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    how hard was it to get the right exposure? I haven't tried it all, but I know my buddy with his D70 has no metering with IR. Is the Canon a bit smarter by any chance?
    It's completely hit and miss. Looking through that filter is like hanging out inside a really, really dark closet with a blindfold on. I doubt *any* camera can meter through this thing. Luckily I'm a patient guy.

I had to set the focus manually (stop laughing....i really did focus) then carefully thread the filter on. Then I set it to AV 5.6 (in the case of the 18-55mm kit lens) and started with 15 second exposures and worked my way up. I got the best results around 20 seconds on an overcast day.

I still have to get the step-up ring and test with the 50mm which is supposedly better with IR.

• Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:

Thats weird...

My meter on my D100 works fine with the infrared filter in place.
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:
    Thats weird...

My meter on my D100 works fine with the infrared filter in place.
    I first tried a shot in AV mode. After a quick beep (focus) it promptly saved a completely black photo. :D I'll try again under various conditions. This is one time I'm glad I'm not experimenting with film.