Options

Help with note card project

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited October 25, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business
I have a friend, Rose, who does some painting. Currently she has been painting note cards, which are very popular. However it’s pretty time consuming, and difficult to recoup a fair return for the effort. The solution we thought of is to offer sets of note cards with one original, and the remainder of the set printed. Or maybe individual printed cards.

We are looking for a good source of note cards, made from art paper, matt, linen etc. Next question, does anyone have any thoughts with regard to offset printing, versus say a photographic process, or an pigmented inkjet?

I have printed a few test cards on my printer and the results are very good. I just need to find higher end cards, and also the cost of printing at home would, I believe, be excessive.

Any thoughts, info, comments, etc. would be appreciated.

Sam

Comments

• Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2006
    Specialized area
    This question is a real tough one. You can get some good choices of card stock and envelopes from Red River Papers for example, to print at home.

There are some specialty paper manufacturers for high-end home printers. Try doing a google search. Try searching for Giclee prints (really high end). For top of the line papers try Hahnemühle.

I don't know how much your friend sells her cards for so it's difficult to make a recommendation.

There are Giclee printers available to do the printing for you if her sales warrant the cost.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2006
    Dee wrote:
    This question is a real tough one. You can get some good choices of card stock and envelopes from Red River Papers for example, to print at home.

There are some specialty paper manufacturers for high-end home printers. Try doing a google search. Try searching for Giclee prints (really high end). For top of the line papers try Hahnemühle.

I don't know how much your friend sells her cards for so it's difficult to make a recommendation.

There are Giclee printers available to do the printing for you if her sales warrant the cost.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

THanks Dee,

I orderd a sample set of cards from Red River. I'll let you know how they look.

Sam
  • Options
    cornerketchcornerketch Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited October 25, 2006
    I was suprised that your request did not generate more response.. headscratch.gif

But please post your results and an example of the art work if you can.

I have been requested by a family member to do something similar.
    Hank Stoklosa
    CornerKetch Studios
    Special Olympics Delaware
    www.sode.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2006
    I was suprised that your request did not generate more response.. headscratch.gif

But please post your results and an example of the art work if you can.

I have been requested by a family member to do something similar.

I will let everyone know the results, but it will take a few weeks. :D

Sam
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2006
    Good, Sam...
    Sam wrote:
    THanks Dee,

I orderd a sample set of cards from Red River. I'll let you know how they look.

Sam

Glad I was able to help. I was very pleased with my Red River Card samples... the high gloss simply amazed me! It looked like my photo had been offset printed. I did not think the high gloss would be my favorite at all!

On my list of things to do is to print off a portrait and a landscape on each sample to see how the finishes affect the photos. Usually I prefer matte for my inkjet projects, so you can see why I was kind of stunned at the result on the high gloss paper.

If the inkjet printer you use can use different inks (some of the epsons can) you can look into using different inks too to make the images look better.

Once you get on a good combination your friend should be in business.

Most people will probably be more than pleased with a low end inkjet print on the Red River cards -- the result was excellent. Fine art purchasers will probably prefer Giclee prints on watercolor paper...