Options

link format for a gallery with a default/starting style?

jwilkinsonjwilkinson Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
edited October 25, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Is there a link/Url format I can use to send someone to one of my galleries, but for it to start off in a default style?

I have one or two I'd like them to see in journal style, but I don't want to set that as default for all my galleries, nor do I want to lock them into it.

... nor do I really want to have to give them too many directions if I could give them a url with a style argument instead.

If not, please add this to feature requests, along with votes for:
- being able to set a default/starting style for an individual gallery
- being able to have more choice in journal style for size of photos used, number of photos per page, etc.

thanks,
jeff

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2006
    jwilkinson wrote:
    Is there a link/Url format I can use to send someone to one of my galleries, but for it to start off in a default style?

I have one or two I'd like them to see in journal style, but I don't want to set that as default for all my galleries, nor do I want to lock them into it.

... nor do I really want to have to give them too many directions if I could give them a url with a style argument instead.

If not, please add this to feature requests, along with votes for:
    - being able to set a default/starting style for an individual gallery
    - being able to have more choice in journal style for size of photos used, number of photos per page, etc.

thanks,
    jeff

Faq
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=26043

#87 Does this help? ear.gif

And you may be interested in this "journal hack"
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=27067&highlight=journal+hack
  • Options
    jwilkinsonjwilkinson Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited October 25, 2006
    Great, thanks!

The link url would definitely help for emailing a gallery link to someone, though it doesn't solve the problem of wanting a particular gallery to have a default starting style in general. That would still be a great feature to add, so people hitting that gallery from my SM site get that style.

FWIW, while the image size hack for journal styles would help me on my one SM account, it wouldn't help the standard one. I'd still vote for that to be a per-gallery or at least per-account option.

And I'd still vote for the other options mentioned to be added, per-gallery.

Anyway, please consider those feature requests, though I know they've been mentioned by others before...

Thanks for the info links. I'd searched before posting but hadn't found those answers.

thanks,
    jeff
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2006
    Me too...
    jwilkinson wrote:
    Great, thanks!

The link url would definitely help for emailing a gallery link to someone, though it doesn't solve the problem of wanting a particular gallery to have a default starting style in general. That would still be a great feature to add, so people hitting that gallery from my SM site get that style.

FWIW, while the image size hack for journal styles would help me on my one SM account, it wouldn't help the standard one. I'd still vote for that to be a per-gallery or at least per-account option.

And I'd still vote for the other options mentioned to be added, per-gallery.

Anyway, please consider those feature requests, though I know they've been mentioned by others before...

Thanks for the info links. I'd searched before posting but hadn't found those answers.

thanks,
    jeff

I, too, have voted multiple times in the feature request thread for an "initial or default style" in the gallery customization. This would be a very handy feature.

I find it strange that, unless I lock my gallery to only one style, a user will see my gallery in the style they last used elsewhere on Smugmug. That might make some sense if it's a difference between smugmug small and smugmug, but not if it's a difference between journal and smugmug or others. I'd like to control the initial viewing experience (but still allowing them to change it) rather than have a choice they made elsewhere on Smugmug impact the viewing style of my galleries. I think this is one place where Smugmug has the "algorithm" a little off.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question