Options

American LeMans at Laguna Seca

zedzed Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
edited October 29, 2006 in Sports
Some from the weekend in Monterey. Great weather and a great weekend.

105197021-L.jpg

105196812-L.jpg

105197918-L.jpg

105198411-L.jpg

105195113-L.jpg

105197243-L.jpg

105198070-L.jpg

105195595-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    DweezilDweezil Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 25, 2006
    #8 is fantastic! I also like #3. They're all really nice though...I know takes awhile to get the panning thing down pat. thumb.gif
  • Options
    STLMach1STLMach1 Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2006
    Wow! Fantastic shots!

I'd love to know how you were able to take the dust/dark shots with a subject moving that fast and still achieve that level of clarity.

Great work!

Michael
  • Options
    DweezilDweezil Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 25, 2006
    STLMach1 wrote:

I'd love to know how you were able to take the dust/dark shots with a subject moving that fast and still achieve that level of clarity.

X's eleventy billion. :D
  • Options
    dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2006
    sensational:ivar
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2006
    Thanks for the comments everyone.
    Michael, what I did for evening and night shots was to shoot in manual mode, I set the aperature wide open and a shutter speed at a number where I knew that I would get consistent results (as far as panning goes). I don't have a lot of time shooting races at night so I did a fair amount of chimping and adjusting settings. If my exposure didn't look right then I would adjust the ISO accordingly. Most of the dark shots were ISO 400-800.

Here is another one. This guy had some electrical issues, as the only time his headlights would come on is when we was on the brakes...a little strange looking and I can't imagine how he could see where he was going.

Jeff105465716-L.jpg
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited October 26, 2006
    Sweet! I was riding down 68 and wondered what was happening at
    Laguna Seca this past weekend.

Some nice shots for sure!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    mazranzmazranz Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited October 26, 2006
    loved your shots!

BTW, what lens were you using??
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2006
    mazranz wrote:
    loved your shots!

BTW, what lens were you using??

Thanks.
    I was using a 20D with the 70-200 f2.8 and 300 f2.8. Sometimes I would have the 1.4x or 2.0x extender on the 300.

Here are a couple from Sunday, at the Speed GT race. I love the Skyline, partly because it is rather rare in the US. Unfortunatly, it didn't fare too well here and I don't think it even finished the race. These were shot with the 300 and the 1.4x.

105465801-L.jpg

105465888-L.jpg
    Jeff
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2006
    Cool!

Love the pictures man!!

Do you have any tips for taking night racing? I've been getting pics like this:

79254232-M.jpg

50mm is too close as I am about 6 ft from the cars!!

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2006
    mazranz wrote:
    Cool!

Love the pictures man!!

Do you have any tips for taking night racing? I've been getting pics like this:

50mm is too close as I am about 6 ft from the cars!!

Thanks!

Looks like you were using a flash. I would turn it way down if you are going to use it at all. No matter what, the flash (even at low power) is usually enough light to freeze the motion that you would normally want in the wheels to show motion. I don't care for the flash that much, although there are some cool shots you can get with them. I like doing what you can with natural light. Your 50 f1.8 should be enough to get some good shots. Shoot manual at f1.8 and a medium to slow shutter, something you can normally get good panning results with. ISO around 800 but you really need to experiment because the ambient light will be different for different events, locations etc. Sometimes you can use the head lights of the car behind the subject car to light your subject. The main thing if you are not sure is to shoot, chimp, adjust, repeat. Then post up so we can see!

Jeff
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2006
    zed wrote:
    ...The main thing if you are not sure is to shoot, chimp, adjust, repeat. Then post up so we can see!

Thanks Jeff! I'll give that a try :)

maz
  • Options
    webcasewebcase Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited October 29, 2006
    thumb.gif Lovely shots Jeff . #3 is my favorite .It's a cool photographers shot