Why do I have to use www

GwendysGwendys Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited October 27, 2006 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Hello, My fiancee and I have a PRO Smugmug account. We are using our domain name, www.davehobday.com. We have done the CNAME thing. Our domain is at godaddy. The problem I am having is that you must put in www when typing in the domain name to be directed to our smugmug account, if you don't and just type in davehobday.com you end up at a parked page at godaddy. I really don't like this since many people today do not type in the www to get to websites. Is there a way make it so that typing either www.davehobday.com or davehobday.com will direct you to our smugmug account?

When doing the CNAME stuff at godaddy I tried leaving the www points to @ but when I do that you can't get to the smugmug account by typing in either www.davehobday.com or davehobday.com. They both then take you to a parked page with godaddy.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide! I will need instructions since my fiancee will not give out his user name and password to anyone since we have so many other domain names and other hosting hosted there etc. Sincerely, Gwen

www.dg-photos.smugmug.com
www.davehobday.com

I just wanted to note that we have changed our domain name to www.amberbrookephoto.com

Comments

• devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 25, 2006
    Hi Gwendys,

Welcome to dgrin wave.gif

To get davehobday.com to work, you need to setup an A record to ip address 63.81.134.23

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • GwendysGwendys Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited October 25, 2006
    Thank you David! I will try it!!!! Sincerely, Gwen

"To get davehobday.com to work, you need to setup an A record to ip address 63.81.134.23"
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2006
    Gwendys wrote:
    Thank you David! I will try it!!!! Sincerely, Gwen

Yes but remember, don't change the CNAME record.

wave.gif welcome to Dgrin!
    edited October 25, 2006
    Hi Andy and David, I copied and pasted the ip address you posted into my address bar and hit enter and it does not take me to www.dg-photos.smugmug.com but to www.smugmug.com will this change when I put it in as AHost? Thanks again, Gwen

www.davehobday.com

Andy wrote:
    Yes but remember, don't change the CNAME record.

wave.gif welcome to Dgrin!
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 25, 2006
    Gwendys wrote:
    Hi Andy and David, I copied and pasted the ip address you posted into my address bar and hit enter and it does not take me to www.dg-photos.smugmug.com but to www.smugmug.com will this change when I put it in as AHost? Thanks again, Gwen

www.davehobday.com
    yes it will :D

well the ip address won't directly, but it will resolve correctly to davehobday.com
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
    edited October 25, 2006
    Thanks again David, One other thing. Will the AHOST cause the same problems with the shopping cart and memorizing galleries etc. for visitors to our site that fowarding the domain name would have?

www.davehobday.com

devbobo wrote:
    yes it will :D

well the ip address won't directly, but it will resolve correctly to davehobday.com
    edited October 25, 2006
    Gwendys wrote:
    Thanks again David, One other thing. Will the AHOST cause the same problems with the shopping cart and memorizing galleries etc. for visitors to our site that fowarding the domain name would have?

www.davehobday.com
    No you should be fine :D
    But remember, do NOT delete your CNAME record. The reason we insist on CNAME, is that our IP address can change. If that happens, you'd have to change your A-record designation. But CNAME will always always work :D
    Cheers
    edited October 25, 2006
    Thanks Andy and David, I have made the changes at godaddy to both AHost and CName and it appears to be working fine! Thank you so much. I wish I had posted here yesterday when I was trying to figure this out for hours! I did try a search several different times but either couldn't find it or didn't understand what I was seeing when I did find it! Again, Thank you both so much!!!! Sincerely, Gwen wings.gifbowdown.gif
    Andy wrote:
    No you should be fine :D
    But remember, do NOT delete your CNAME record. The reason we insist on CNAME, is that our IP address can change. If that happens, you'd have to change your A-record designation. But CNAME will always always work :D
    Cheers
  • James SJames S Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2006
    devbobo wrote:
    Hi Gwendys,

Welcome to dgrin wave.gif

To get davehobday.com to work, you need to setup an A record to ip address 63.81.134.23

Cheers,

David

hmmmm.....done this but it didn't work.
    edited October 27, 2006
    rex wrote:
    hmmmm.....done this but it didn't work.
    working fine for me, IE, Safari, FF

What did you do to set this up? Who is your domain host? We can help if you wish, just write our Support Heroes, help@smugmug.com if you'd like us to look into your domain host for you thumb.gif
    edited October 27, 2006
    Well I use godaddy. Went in and set up an A Name for IP Address 63.81.134.23

When I type just amstudiosonline.com is goes to a search page and not my website.
    edited October 27, 2006
    rex wrote:
    Well I use godaddy. Went in and set up an A Name for IP Address 63.81.134.23

When I type just amstudiosonline.com is goes to a search page and not my website.
    I even just checked on IE6 - all is good :)

Simple ping test validates:

andy-williams-computer-2:~ Andy$ ping amstudiosonline.com
    PING amstudiosonline.com (63.81.134.23): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 63.81.134.23: icmp_seq=0 ttl=244 time=89.719 ms

What browser are you using?
    edited October 27, 2006
    Andy wrote:

What browser are you using?

When I type just "amstudiosonline.com" in Firefox 1.5 and in IE 7 I get some search webpage and not my webpage.
    edited October 27, 2006
    rex wrote:
    When I type just "amstudiosonline.com" in Firefox 5.0 and in IE 7 I get some search webpage and not my webpage.
    gotta be a browser setting, rex. Your a-record is setup just fine...

What's Firefox 5.0?
    edited October 27, 2006
    Sorry 1.5 I changed it.

I will check my browser settings
    edited October 27, 2006
    yep checked it on the wife's computer. Works fine. I will have to see if I have something set wrong or if it is just a flaw in the new IE 7

Thanks for your help Andy