Options

Anybody else remember the guy who had the tons of photos?

marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
edited October 27, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I was just thinking, whatever happened to the guy with over a terabyte of photos?

Comments

• Options
    tweakertweaker Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited October 26, 2006
    I think you are referring to this post. It looks like he never opened account.
    -Paul
  • Options
    JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2006
    :oogle Would love to see this guy's gallery when it happens. It would probably take months to look through. But reading that thread made me happy to join here. *cheer4smugmug*
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
  • Options
    mcgilmcgil Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2006
    JenW wrote:
    :oogle Would love to see this guy's gallery when it happens. It would probably take months to look through. But reading that thread made me happy to join here. *cheer4smugmug*

I think that he might still be uploading :) as it could take him months to upload ... really ...

It tooks me a couple of weeks "nearly full time" to upload my 20GB (50000 photos / several hundred galleries), and I had a "fast" connection.

I've just done a test with 100MB of test photos (6.2MB each, 8MP sample photos from powershot.com) and that upload took me 4 minutes (using SendToSmugmug) => that's around 400 KB/sec

But that's just 4 minutes of data transfer time. The real user time is closer to 7 or 8 minutes with the lag in SendToSmugmug (and I have a fast laptop 2GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM) and I'm not counting the time spend in organizing the photos.

So multiply my 4 minutes of data transfer by 25000 to get to 2.5TB and you get a nice round 100 000 minutes == 1666 hours = 69 days.

Now even if we assume that bl8ter is particularly lucky and uploads at 5 times my speed, that's still around 2 weeks of upload time.

But then he/she says :
    bl8ter wrote:
    Given that I travel atlot, when I am at home I spend my time with my family. So computers and photography come after. Which doesn't leave much time.

On average I am only home only 4 days a month

... I guess we'll see :)