Options

monitor

lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
edited October 27, 2006 in Digital Darkroom
Hi all.. this is going to sound like computers 101 but I've never done it. I'm going to be on the road with my laptop for the next 5 months... :barb
I'm wondering if I should geta small crt monitor for photoshop work as the screen on laptop is typical (sucky).. can this be done? has anyone done this? drawbacks? pros?
Grateful for any input as I'm starting to have withdrawel from decent screen already and have'nt left yet..:cry

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited October 25, 2006
    Hi Lynnie! wave.gif
    How's your adventure going?

What type of connections does your laptop have? PC or Apple? What is the highest resolution your graphics can produce at 16.7M colors?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited October 25, 2006
    Do you have room for a nice 19 inch LCD perhaps??

Or a 17 in Mac Book Pro perhaps??mwink.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2006
    Hi David and Path,

Hmm now then..lets see if I can answer.. connection is PC - looking at resolution looks like 1400x1050 is the tops. and is says ATI Mobility Radeon X300 (not sure what that means, graphics card? but it sounds good).
    Thats at color quality 32bit, any sense here? I'm not sure what you mean by 16.7M colors..

It's a Dell latitude D610 - got 55.8 gig on the C drive - I like it actually but I hate the screen... and Path, I have not seen an LCD screen that I like yet, (have'nt looked much tho) I was thinking more on the lines of an old crt monitor that I can bung in the back of the pickup...

We pull out in the am. We drain the house down today.. we are terrified.
    wings.gif Are we completely mad?? we'll be on the road for 5 months at least.. longer if we forget who we are and where we once lived.
    I had hoped to pick up a crt monitor and just "Plug her in" and presto.. nice graphics..probably not that easy tho ay..Whaddy think..
    Lynn
    ps we are sleeping in the camper tonite in the driveway in 27 degrees F.... hmmmm should be fun...
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited October 26, 2006
    Hey Lynnie, shouldn't be too hard. You may have to play with the settings a bit to make it work, but it should be fine - that Dell is more than recent enough.

maybe this'll help, if you're on windows XP:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/northrup_multimon.mspx
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited October 26, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Hey Lynnie, shouldn't be too hard. You may have to play with the settings a bit to make it work, but it should be fine - that Dell is more than recent enough.

maybe this'll help, if you're on windows XP:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/northrup_multimon.mspx
    yep - thats great Eric.. looks like it's gonna work just fine. Thanks so much.. have a nice Winter :ivar
    Lynn
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2006
    lynnma wrote:
    yep - thats great Eric.. looks like it's gonna work just fine. Thanks so much.. have a nice Winter :ivar
    Lynn
    yer welcome. Winter, blech! umph.gif
    Erik

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited October 27, 2006
    I'm not sure a CRT will fare well banging around the back of a pickup, Lynn.

That said, an LCD monitor needs to have it's front side carefully covered also - Pressure points or scrapes on the LCD screen will leave permanent marks on the visual display also.

But I think that overall, LCDs will tolerate vibration better than CRTs long term and hold their color calibration better. ANd they are smaller to pack for a given size. A 17" lap top may be the best compromise, but I would strongly prefer a 20' or even a 23' LCD for extended periods of image editing.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    A 17" lap top may be the best compromise, but I would strongly prefer a 20' or even a 23' LCD for extended periods of image editing.
    Dayum you live a cushy life! lol3.gif

99% of my work for the past 3 years has been on a 12" powerbook. Lynnie, 17 and 19" LCD's are pretty darn cheap, and PF is definitely right on that they will "travel" better than a CRT monitor.
    Erik

• Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2006
    If you're talking about color, the answer is "the one that's calibrated."

I would take a calibrated laptop screen over an uncalibrated CRT. If both are calibrated, I take the CRT.

If you're just talking about screen area, then a CRT could help, but at the cost of weight and bulk.