Options

The Shrine in Infrared

pug8pug8 Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
edited November 2, 2006 in Holy Macro
I had some time today to do some infrared photography. At the main shrine in town I didn't have my tripod with me, though, so I put my camera on a bench, resting it on a filter case.
The IR 92 filter gives a very purple image, and needs a longer exposure than the IR 76 (which I bought on Friday. Still no filter holder, though).

Comments

• Options
    edited October 29, 2006
    Now the IR 76 - the image comes out very red, of course. I got the most pleasing colours from the eyedroppers in Curves managaement.
  • Options
    TanukiTanuki Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2006
    pug8 wrote:
    I had some time today to do some infrared photography. At the main shrine in town I didn't have my tripod with me, though, so I put my camera on a bench, resting it on a filter case.
    The IR 92 filter gives a very purple image, and needs a longer exposure than the IR 76 (which I bought on Friday. Still no filter holder, though).

Nice shots! Those filter names sound like the Fuji square filter series. Is this correct?

I live in Japan too and have picked up some Fuji square IR filters. I haven't been able to find a decent filter holder, so they are sitting useless in my closet. I would love to use them, so any words of wisdom you might have with regards to filter holders would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2006
    nice photos
    i am not Ir guy but why are these IRs not white with black sky ?

or there are types of IRs ?
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2006
    Tanuki wrote:
    Nice shots! Those filter names sound like the Fuji square filter series. Is this correct?

I live in Japan too and have picked up some Fuji square IR filters. I haven't been able to find a decent filter holder, so they are sitting useless in my closet. I would love to use them, so any words of wisdom you might have with regards to filter holders would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, they are the Fuji square filters. I don't have a holder either, except for my fingers. :D I just hold them in front of the lens, in their cardboard holder; you just have to be careful not to let ordinary light seep in.
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2006
    nice photos
    i am not Ir guy but why are these IRs not white with black sky ?

or there are types of IRs ?

There are several grades of IR filters that let in different frequencies of infrared light. The IR 76 image looks mostly red, the IR 92 is purple. There are a few others; 92 requires a longer exposure time than the 76.

In editing, the colors can be changed to whatever you like. Admittedly, I'm no great shakes when it comes to editing in Photoshop, but for the IR 76 shot, I used the White eyedropper in Curves, clicking here and there until I got one I liked. With the IR 92 image, I chose to keep it mostly purple as an example to show you; you'll notice that it's focussing is different. :D
  • Options
    illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2006
    You can get rid of that purpley image easily in Photoshop, just drop the magenta tint down through selective coloring. I'm sure there are other ways to do it but I find that the easiest way.
    ~~~www.markoknezevic.com~~~

Setup: One camera, one lens, and one roll of film.
  • Options
    CavalierPhotoCavalierPhoto Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2006
    Remove Color
    I usually just remove color in PS (Control-Shift-U if I remember correctly).

Chris V.
    You can get rid of that purpley image easily in Photoshop, just drop the magenta tint down through selective coloring. I'm sure there are other ways to do it but I find that the easiest way.
  • Options
    FabsFabs Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited October 31, 2006
    I processed it as you would color infrared in PS.
    Go to Channel mixer, Red channel, set red to 0 and blue to 100
    Leave green alone, go to Blue channel, set blue to 0 and red to 100.
    You can tweak this a bit to your liking, but I left it as the formula goes.
    I hope you do't mind my repost.
    www.avianscapes.com

Blog at: http://web.mac.com/fabs5
    on location video clips
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2006
    Thanks, Fabs. That looks good.
    The problem I have is that the version of Photoshop is Elements 3 - so I don't have the Channel mixer (as far as I can tell ;>þ)

edit: Oh, but I do! I must have downloaded as an add-on quite a while ago. I've never used it before, though.