Options

Canon 1.4x EF Extender II

redstrikerredstriker Registered Users Posts: 3 Big grins
edited October 31, 2006 in Accessories
I have never posted and I'm enough of a novice to be wary of getting questions I can't answer but here goes.
I purchased a Canon 1.4x EF Extender II from B&H to use with my Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Autofocus Lens on my Canon Rebel. I used it for the first time this weekend and frankly was disappointed. The reach didn't seem all that much enhanced and all the shots look soft. It was a bright sunny day so the was able to shoot between 4.0 and 5.6 for most of the game. The reviews of the extender rarely mention a substanial loss of sharpness. Is that because these folks are shooting with higher grade camera bodies than the Canon Rebel?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Samples of the photos with extender are posted in my gallery - http://shaffer-hotshots.smugmug.com/gallery/2067700. Thanks very much.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,854 moderator
    edited October 30, 2006
    I only looked at a couple of the images at full res, but they seem fine to me.

Understand that some loss of contrast and sharpness is to be expected, especially on a zoom lens. Understand too that motion blur is exagerated and DOF "appears" shallower than normal, but these are normal attributes of any telextender. Focus speed is also slightly less because of the loss of aperture (1 stop).

There is not a magnitude of difference between using the telextender and not, but the compromise is generally considered acceptable if you need/want the extra effective focal length, and is generally better than software-crop-and-zoom (interpolation.)

Compared to the telextenders I used back in the 60s and 70s, the current crop of quality extenders, like the Canon and Nikon 1.4x, is fine indeed.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2006
    I use a 1.4x canon tc on my 70-200 2.8. Yes it degrades the image some, but at f/5 and 5.6 it should be pretty good. It definitley ads a lot of reach, just put it on, set the lens to ~143mm and then zoom all the way to 200 while looking in your view finder (143x1.4 = 200.2)

I too looked at a few of those shots and they seem fine to me.
  • Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2006
    I shot these pictures with the same equipment (70 200 IS + 1.4 II + 20 D) and I think it's good.
    I looked at your photos and they look OK...
    Aren't you expecting too much ? ne_nau.gif
    Here I post the same picture and a crop. It's very good isn't it ? :D
    From JPG ! Not from RAW ! :D
    thumb.gif

102961557-M.jpg103029558-M.jpg
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2006
    On a side note, I found a comparison of a few Extenders
    (Canon 1.4x, Kenko 1.4x and 1.5x, Solinger 1.7x) here:

http://www.traumflieger.de/desktop/telekonverter/konvertertest2.php
    and here
    http://www.traumflieger.de/objektivtest/telekonverter/telekonverter_check.php

I was realy surprised to see that the Kenko 1.4x Pro300
    outperformed the Canon 1.4x, yet it passes the correct
    EXIF (focal length, fstop) to the camera and with 180EUR
    being alot cheaper than the canon counterpart. The page
    is in german, but you can see 100% crop pictures there
    (click on "GO" near the bottom).
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2006
    Manfr3d wrote:

and here

Too late.
    Got mine some 45/60 days ago...
    :bash thumb.gif
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2006
    redstriker wrote:
    I have never posted and I'm enough of a novice to be wary of getting questions I can't answer but here goes.
    I purchased a Canon 1.4x EF Extender II from B&H to use with my Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Autofocus Lens on my Canon Rebel. I used it for the first time this weekend and frankly was disappointed. The reach didn't seem all that much enhanced and all the shots look soft. It was a bright sunny day so the was able to shoot between 4.0 and 5.6 for most of the game. The reviews of the extender rarely mention a substanial loss of sharpness. Is that because these folks are shooting with higher grade camera bodies than the Canon Rebel?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Samples of the photos with extender are posted in my gallery - http://shaffer-hotshots.smugmug.com/gallery/2067700. Thanks very much.

Did you have any kind of a filter on the lens? That too can add to some image loss, even if it's just a UV filter. I have noticed such, especially in very bright conditions.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2006
    Manfr3d wrote:

and here

That must be an anomally. I've handlled Sigma Canon and Kenko, and I'd rank them Sigma almost the same as Canon (canon has better color) and Kenko is way back.
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2006
    That must be an anomally. I've handlled Sigma Canon and Kenko, and I'd rank them Sigma almost the same as Canon (canon has better color) and Kenko is way back.
    Uff ! ... What a relief ...
    :D
    thumb.gif
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2006
    I've seen other examples of the Kenko Pro being higher quality than the Canon. Maybe your copies were the anomollyne_nau.gif
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2006
    gluwater wrote:
    I've seen other examples of the Kenko Pro being higher quality than the Canon. Maybe your copies were the anomollyne_nau.gif

Maybe, though considering what I've seen from 2x Kenkos (though I haven't personally handled those), I feel like the canon is more likely to be better.

Maybe send me yours for comparison? ne_nau.gifdeal
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2006
    Maybe, though considering what I've seen from 2x Kenkos (though I haven't personally handled those), I feel like the canon is more likely to be better.

Maybe send me yours for comparison? ne_nau.gifdeal
    You can't compare a 2X TC with any brand of 1.4 TC, since 1.4TC's are what is being discussed in this thread. They are completely different. Why do you "feel" the canon is more likely to be better? Just because it is Canon?
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2006
    gluwater wrote:
    Why do you "feel" the canon is more likely to be better? Just because it is Canon?

Because it has been my personal experience and the experience of several with 2x tc's
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2006
    Extender
    Thank you Ziggy. Your observations were very useful.

uote=ziggy53]I only looked at a couple of the images at full res, but they seem fine to me.

Understand that some loss of contrast and sharpness is to be expected, especially on a zoom lens. Understand too that motion blur is exagerated and DOF "appears" shallower than normal, but these are normal attributes of any telextender. Focus speed is also slightly less because of the loss of aperture (1 stop).

There is not a magnitude of difference between using the telextender and not, but the compromise is generally considered acceptable if you need/want the extra effective focal length, and is generally better than software-crop-and-zoom (interpolation.)

Compared to the telextenders I used back in the 60s and 70s, the current crop of quality extenders, like the Canon and Nikon 1.4x, is fine indeed.

ziggy53[/quote]
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2006
    Thanks Marlinspike.
    I use a 1.4x canon tc on my 70-200 2.8. Yes it degrades the image some, but at f/5 and 5.6 it should be pretty good. It definitley ads a lot of reach, just put it on, set the lens to ~143mm and then zoom all the way to 200 while looking in your view finder (143x1.4 = 200.2)

I too looked at a few of those shots and they seem fine to me.

I'll put your advice to work. I appreciate the time you took to answer my concerns.