Cropping and re-printing

wlrottgewlrottge Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited October 30, 2006 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I just emailed help, but wanted to get some other thoughts from people here.

How do you handle idiots who don't watch the crop of their images? I just had an order where I'm sure I'll have to reprint out of my pocket, 6, 8*10's b/c they didn't look at what they were doing.

Is there a way where I can "approve" or adjust the order before it goes through? Can we get a disclaimer added? I like keeping people happy, but this type of stuff drives me nuts.

Thanks in advance

Will

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2006
    wlrottge wrote:
    I just emailed help, but wanted to get some other thoughts from people here.

How do you handle idiots who don't watch the crop of their images? I just had an order where I'm sure I'll have to reprint out of my pocket, 6, 8*10's b/c they didn't look at what they were doing.

Is there a way where I can "approve" or adjust the order before it goes through? Can we get a disclaimer added? I like keeping people happy, but this type of stuff drives me nuts.

Thanks in advance

Will
    Hi Will,

You won't have to reprint anything out of your pocket, we have the SmugMug Guarantee, which fully covers you and your customer, even in the event of a "crop gone bad." Our Support Heroes will take great care of you, we promise!

http://www.smugmug.com/prints/our-guarantee.mg
  • wlrottgewlrottge Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited October 30, 2006
    Thanks Andy, I appreciate that, but... It's still a pain in the rear for both me and "you".

Order number is:196107

Any way it can be fixed before it goes?

I was just reading a thread a/b proof delay would that be able to ease my woes?

Thanks!!

Will
    edited October 30, 2006
    Ok, just got an email that you all fixed one of the images! I just sent an email trying to get the other done too.

I'm telling ya, you guys ROCK!!!

Thanks!!

Will
  • ThandoThando Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2006
    Well here is how we handle bad cropping. If it is something obvious like the order that you sent us with a head cut off, we can make the adjustments for you. If the customer already received the order, then we do it without charging the customer a second time. In this case, the order had not be processed so we left the charges so you will still get paid. Usually, these get caught by our print lab. But still there are some that slip through.

If it is something more subtle, we generally need to ask the customer where they want the cropping or have them do it themselves. That is afterall, the whole reason that we leave the cropping in the shopping cart. We hope that the customers will crop just the way that they like. But, as you know, many don't notice the cropping tool. In that case we are happy to help.

To make things easier, you can do two things. First you can crop the photos yourself and then eliminate print sizes that don't have the same aspect ratio. Then only the print sizes that fit your photos will be in the shopping cart. Secondly, you can use the "proof and retouch" feature: http://www.smugmug.com/help/proof-retouch-replace
    That allows you to adjust the cropping on the photos before they go to our print lab. I sure hope that helps.
    edited October 30, 2006
    Thanks again!!! I'm setting up my albums now with a delay.

Like I said before, you guys ROCK!!

Will
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2006
    wlrottge wrote:
    Thanks again!!! I'm setting up my albums now with a delay.

Like I said before, you guys ROCK!!

Will
    And sometimes, I need to perform some Photoshop Magic to save the day:

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/2070013/1/106585035

Pros customer wanted an 8x10 of this. Sure, you can crop to that in the cart, but then the helmet would still be slightly chopped, due to bleed trim:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/bleed-trim

So, I fixed it for the customer, and notified the pro. No charge, of course!