Options

New lens

Barefoot and NaturalBarefoot and Natural Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
edited November 1, 2006 in Accessories
Hi all...

Can someone direct me to a review on this lens http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=cart&A=details&Q=&sku=391074&is=REG

(I can't afford more than $300) so don't make me feel bad :rofl)
I would really like to get the 70-200....but just can't right now. Anyone have personal experience with this Sigma?

Thanks so much
Heather

Comments

• Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2006
    Photozone usually has a nice, detailed reviews:

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/sigma_70300_456/index.htm

And one of my favorites, Fstopjojo, usually does a great reveiews of lenses side by side. In this case, he compares the sigma with the Canon 70-300 IS, 70-200 L (f4) and the 70-300 DO

http://www.pbase.com/lightrules/70300s

(fyi, you need to click the photos, read the captions, and also many times zoom in on the photos to read details. Also, don't miss the comments for each photo)

You will likely be encouraged by this statement from him (though he is a huge Sigma fan):

"Sigma 70-300 APO DG: This is an EXCELLENT lens for the money. Yes it lacks EX build, doesn't have HSM/FTM (which means somewhat slow and whiny AF), and has no OS, but for $185 the optical performance is VERY good, AF is accurate, and you get 1:2 reproduction ratio at 300mm. If you are shooting in lots of light or use a tripod often, this is a relatively small, light, and cheap piece of glass that can deliver the goods. If the 50f1.8MKII is the "thrifty fifty", the Sigma 70-300 APO DG is the "THRIFTY THREE-HUNDRED". I highly recommend this lens for those on a tight budget."
  • Options
    sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2006

I think you'll end up kicking yourself in the butt if you buy this lens. Seriously!! Save up for a while longer and get the ef 70-200 f/4 or ef 70-300 f/4-f/5.6 IS. I don't generally give advice on camera stuff but this is a no brainer IMHO. Put down $25 a week and you can buy the lens at the end of december before the canon rebates run out (jan 13th). Thats like sacrificing one night out a week, or not going to starbucks to get the $5 venti mochafrapilattechino and monster brand muffin every morning. Hell... eat PBJ or spagetti 3 nights a week instead of ordering out. There's TONS of ways to save 25 bucks a week. :)

That lens is at best a 70-200mm f/4-f/8 lens. In other words as soon as you use zoom and approach 200mm, the image quality will be horrendous until you stop down to f/8. Forget using 200mm-300mm. I have borrowed my bosses ef 75-300 f4-f5.6 lens in the past before I got some better glass and the numbers on photozone don't lie. I was careful when using the lens and kept it below 200mm, and bumped up the iso until I could shoot 1/640th and f8-f11. Shots that were 300mm f5.6 were a train wreck. I know its not the same lens as we are discussing here, but they behave the same way.
  • Options
    douglasdouglas Registered Users Posts: 696 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2006
    http://www.pricegrabber.com/rating_getprodrev.php/masterid=10234121/id_type=masterid

Not an official review, 10 user reviews most gave 5 out of 5 stars, theres a few example pictures, I think the bokeh looks really sweet in macro mode. Looks like a great deal to me, the semi macro mode is a nice bonus.
    Best regards,
    douglas
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2006
    well I have to agree with sirsloop. I have the 70-200 f4 L, and it is a wonderful lens, my absolute favorite. I tried the 70-300 and the 70-300IS, but it really was no comparison in terms of build speed, fast focus.

That said, while the images are fabulous, it is really how the lens works and feels that make the huge difference to me. (plus having the white lens is fun to carry around). I suspect that the images are just fine with the Sigma, and you can do comparisons yourself on fstopjojos website.

The 70-200 f4 is really the SINGLE L lens that is affordable, so don't make the mistake of not buying it. You can sell this lens for essentially what you paid for it just about anytime online. the Sigma likely will be harder to sell, if you need to.
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2006
    Photodo has a review as well: http://www.photodo.com/product_1092.html

Personally, I'd save up for the Canon.
  • Options
    Barefoot and NaturalBarefoot and Natural Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2006
    So should I stay away from the 75-300 from Canon?

I guess I will wait....

Thanks for all your help and advice....I will listen and save up!
    Maybe even do the chores for my kids so I don't have to give them allowance!! mwink.gif

Heather
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2006
    both the sigma and canon 75-300 lenses will do "ok" as a 70-200 f/4-f/8 lens... but that leaves A LOT to be desired. The build quality is lackluster, the extra reach is useless, and its painfully slow. I think you're makin the right choice... do it once and do it right. If you ever decide to get out of the hobby, you will be able to sell that 70-200 f/4 for 500
  • Options
    nikosnikos Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2006
    So should I stay away from the 75-300 from Canon?

I guess I will wait....

Thanks for all your help and advice....I will listen and save up!
    Maybe even do the chores for my kids so I don't have to give them allowance!! mwink.gif

Heather

As the others have stated, the Canon 70-200f4 and the 70-300 IS are great lenses. Since Canon just released the new 70-200 f4 IS, you may find a lot more 70-200 f4 on the used market for a better price since people may be upgrading.

Good Luck,
    Nikos
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2006
    I don't know about that! The 70-200 f/4 is a rock solid L lens. Even with the new F/4 IS lens, the f/4 is still going to hold its value. Putting it in perspective, a fast L quality zoom lens with killer IQ for under 600 bucks. Whats not to like? If the same lens cost $1000 (and the f/2.8 version was 1500) people would still buy it like hot cakes.
  • Options
    TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2006
    sirsloop wrote:

I think you'll end up kicking yourself in the butt if you buy this lens. Seriously!! Save up for a while longer and get the ef 70-200 f/4 or ef 70-300 f/4-f/5.6 IS. I don't generally give advice on camera stuff but this is a no brainer IMHO.

Agreed.

I've had both, and I was really disappointed by the Sigma. Soft, murky and had terrible problems with image ghosting. Its true that you get what you pay for, but the value for money that you get for the Canon f/4 makes the Sigme seem like it should be free. And that's pretty much what I had to sell my Sigma for after I stopped using it.
    http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2006
    You all are not going to believe this but..........

I GOT A EF 70-200 f/4 L CANON!!
    wings.gifbarbwings.gifbarbwings.gifbarbwings.gifbarbwings.gifbarbwings.gif

I got it off FM about an hour ago!! I had to plead and beg my hubby to let me buy it (and some special favors mwink.gif) and now I am the soon-to-be proud owner of this lens!! I am so FREAKIN' excited!!

Now I just hope I don't get screwed!!

Thanks you guys....I am glad I came here before I actually paid for what was in my shopping cart at B&H.......

Heather
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2006
    LMFAO... so much for $300 bucks budget rolleyes1.gif

Anyways... CONGRATS!!! As long as you don't find it too heavy, I think you'll end up LOVING the lens.
  • Options
    ESigginsESiggins Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    Good call, Heather. I'm a Nikon shooter and a friend of mine brought a Tamron 70-300 (or something like that - some think they're all made by the same compay anyway) when she came to visit me here in Australia. It never left her camera bag. Well, it did once. We went to the beach and were taking photos of the surfers, a good situation for a long lens. I asked her if I could try it out, and after two shots I gave it back with a forced smile, trying not to make her feel bad. I was getting better shots with a manual focus tamron 70-200 4-5.6. With that lens you just bought, I can almost guarantee that a 50% crop at 200mm will look better than a full frame on any of those cheap 300mm deals, so you're not even losing any focal length in reality. Grats on the new toy!

Fred.
    Shoot, or shoot not. There is no try.
    http://esiggins.smugmug.com
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    I can't wait to see what you do with it!

*just a little jealous!*

Congrats!!!
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited November 1, 2006
    I had to plead and beg my hubby to let me buy it (and some special favors mwink.gif) ...

Now I just hope I don't get screwed!!

I think you're screwed either way. rolleyes1.gif

Congrats on the new glass!
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    Heather - to use your words, "I am so FREAKIN' excited" for you! I know you will love this lens. I have only minor experience with L glass in that they say the 10-22 is a hidden L (I don't know but like to think so). If not, and L glass is even better than my 10-22, you are going to "FREAKIN' LOVE" this lens!!

BTW, you understand you are OBLIGATED to post some really, ultra-cool photos so that we can all be just a bit (or more) jealous!! Looking forward to it/them.wings.gifwings.gifwings.gif
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    clap.gif Good choice. I'm sure the lens will be fine, FM sellers are pretty darned good & I've had no troubles there.