Meteor Shower.

aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
edited December 15, 2004 in Holy Macro
I don't know if you might have seen the meteor shower yesterday, but it was very cool. I tried to capture a few, but managed only to get this one shot. This meteor was fairly close to the horizon and went behind a house. Oh well...

12703398-L.jpg

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited December 15, 2004
    Cool deal (even if it did go behind the house).

What were you shooting with?

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    Cool deal (even if it did go behind the house).

What were you shooting with?

ian
    Shooting with Canon drebel, 18mm lens, 4 sec exp, F/4.5, ISO 1600 (why there's so much noise).

I would have liked to have a longer exposure with lower ISO (which is what I tried in later shots), but those darn meteors are hard to catch in action. :splat
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2004
    Good job! Nice pic. thumb.gif I didn't get a chance to see them myself, I heard they were pretty decent this year. Thanks for posting it.
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2004
    They were supposed to be early monday morning here, but I forgot about them.

Early Tues morning, the night after, I swear they were still there. I went outdoors with the dogs, I had to take on faith that they did their stuff, as I was just mesmerized by the sky. I have never seen it like that before. Clear, the stars, or whatever, they seemed to be in a bowl as the ancients thought. Every once in a while I thought one moved, I glanced over and it either hadn't happened or it was over. They were as bright as low flying airplanes. A gorgeous sky.

And this was in the suburbs, next to a city, so out in a rural area, I cannot imagine what it would have been like. Just gorgeous.

Must have been great trying to catch it on film. You all know how excited I get about anything involving a tripod, 2 AM is not a winner either, that is probably why I did not pay it a lot of attention. I have gone out for other meteor stuff, never been impressed before. I think it was the clarity this time. And I just happened to be there. You, too.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2004
    Thanks. Yeah, I agree Ginger....most I wouldn't want to be out in the cold at 2 am either. This time I lucked out because the shower was supposed to peak at 10:00 pm PST. A lot of people said they were better the morning before though...

It was kind of comical....I'd see one, whip the camera around on the tripod to point in the general vicinity, and then click the remote trigger...hoping that the shutter opened in time. :D