Canadian Rockies

frankensteinfrankenstein Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
edited November 1, 2006 in Journeys
This is my first post to DGrin.
I'm from Sydney, and in August I made the long trip to Calgary to start a 10 day photographic tour of the Canadian Rockies. Before I left, my travel agent said it was the most beautiful place she has seen, and I can see why she said that - it was simply stunning.
I knew I was in for a great time when I was shooting stuff like this on the first morning (near Banff):
101106414-L.jpg

At Peyto lake I saw the most intensely coloured water I think I've ever seen (see why it's called Dog's Head Lake?):
101106760-L.jpg

This is one of my favourites - I think it's Pyramid Lake (there were so many lakes, I lost track of the names :dunno):

101106810-L.jpg

I forget the name of this one, but it's where I bumped into some other Aussies - it was so nice to hear a familiar accent!

101106947-M.jpg

And we saw a bit of flora and fauna too:

101103041-L.jpg

101104703-L.jpg

101102825-L.jpg

101102748-L.jpg

101106627-L.jpg

101103515-L.jpg

101103629-L.jpg

101102808-L.jpg

101103391-L.jpg

Maligne Lake and the boat trip to Spirit Island were magic:

101107035-L.jpg

Lake Louise was an early and chilly start to the day, but well worth it:
101107329-L.jpg

101107285-L.jpg

Emerald Lake was probably the most picturesque:

101107426-L.jpg

...but Moraine Lake was great too:

101107719-L.jpg

All in all, I took 2500 shots in 10 days. It was my first organised photo tour (7 photographer clients + 2 tour leaders) and it was fantastic - great people and absolutely sublime scenery.
You can check out more photos from my trip at http://frankenstein.smugmug.com/
Thanks for looking

Frank

101106414-M.jpg

Comments

• JamieCJamieC Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2006
    Not seeing any pictures with your post.

Jamie
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2006
    wave.gif Hi and Welcome, Frankenstein!

WE want to see your pics :D
    You have to go to your gallery customization on SmugMug, and be SURE that external links, are enabled.... otherwise, we cannot see them :D
  • dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2006
    Hi Frank, welcome!

I checked out your photos on your smugmug link. You got some really great stuff. I didn't see any pictures of Castle Mountain though, which was surprising. It' a short drive from Lake Louise and probably one of the most photographed mountains in the Rockies. However, I'm glad to see that the tour took you to Morant's Curve and that you got to see some black bears. thumb.gif
  • frankensteinfrankenstein Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited October 14, 2006
    HOW EMBARRASING!!! WHAT A START!!!11doh.gif

But external linking was already on, and when I checked my post this morning there were no links at all within the post to the images - just blank lines between the text - I would have expected something there headscratch.gif. AND now the medium-size images are gone from my Smugmug site (these were the ones I linked) - thumbnails are there, but as soon as the thumbnail is clicked, no medium image comes up. Very strangene_nau.gif. So I've linked the large images to this post - hope that's ok - and that the images are now visible (I can see them.

dkoyanagi - Castle Mountain? The name rings a bell, but I'm not sure if I got any shots of it.

Frank
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2006
    Frank
    These are gorgeous. I'd like to learn more about the trip/tour and the instructors. Lovely lighting and composition. I like the tree trunk shot a lot, but they are all really nice.

Where did you find the big nest?

ann
    edited October 14, 2006
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Frank
    These are gorgeous. I'd like to learn more about the trip/tour and the instructors. Lovely lighting and composition. I like the tree trunk shot a lot, but they are all really nice.

Where did you find the big nest?

ann
    Thanks Ann. :):
    Moderators - Am I allowed to mention the tour group I travelled with? (edit: I've put the name in the description of the Canadian Rockies gallery on my Smugmug site)

The birds are ospreys, and obviously John and Kathy (the leaders) knew it was there as it wasn't visible from the road. I have no idea where it was (Canada somewhere!) but we were actually quite a bit above the nest on the roadside - we were on the side of a hill and the nest was perched on top of a telegraph pole next to a railway line. We sat there waiting for quite a while, as we saw the adult bird leave the nest and were hoping he/she would return soon. I used a 300mm lens to zoom in and turned on the motor drive - and was lucky enough to get this shot.

Frank
  • Mickey57Mickey57 Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited October 14, 2006
    Hi Frank:
    No worries about getting the pictures to load properly. They are well worth the wait. Looks like you had a great trip.
    I really like the lake shots

Thanks for posting

Dan
    Dan
    Mickey57
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2006
    the first and the last ones are jaw-dropping! great workthumb.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited October 15, 2006
    Hell of a way to make an intro rolleyes1.gif

Very nice and thanks for sharing with us!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2006
    Just spectacular! These are just gorgeous shots of an amazing area! Thanks for sharing.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2006
    Super post. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited October 16, 2006
    Great pics of one of my favorite places. The only places in the America's I've found that offer more spectacular landscapes are Alaska and Patagonia.
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2006
    Stunning work. Beautiful.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2006
    Wow, absolutely gorgeous color and composition on all of these. I've never been to the Rockies but it looks like you saw some great views as well as some furry woodlyn creeturs! :D
  • DernoDerno Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited October 16, 2006
    absolutly amazing landscapes! wow nice job
    http://www.derno.net
    Canon Rebel XT
  • BodakBodak Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited October 17, 2006
    This is top stuff and a place to fall in love with.
    Great images.
  • pug8pug8 Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2006
    I bet there were some real duds in your 2500 photos, but these ones are terrific. Some of those lakes are almost too picturesque :D.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited October 19, 2006
    Lovely series of photos. Stunning landscapes.clap.gif Lots of dgrinners will be in the area next fall I suspect.

Feel free to mention the tour group you were with. While we hate spammers here, we like to see good vendors get recommended by satisfied clients.

Your pictures might be easier to see without the frames. Just a personal preference, but you are giving up a third of your pixels to the frame area.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited October 19, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    Lovely series of photos. Stunning landscapes.clap.gif Lots of dgrinners will be in the area next fall I suspect.

Feel free to mention the tour group you were with. While we hate spammers here, we like to see good vendors get recommended by satisfied clients.

Your pictures might be easier to see without the frames. Just a personal preference, but you are giving up a third of your pixels to the frame area.
    OK, here's the plug: I travelled with Travel Images (http://www.travelimages.com/index.html). It was my first organised photographic tour, and it was great fun. John and Kathy were wonderful tour leaders, and catered to the different levels of expertise very well. I can highly recommend them, and I'm considering another trip with them in 2007.
    Pug8 - yes there were a few duds, but surprisingly (to me) not too many. There were a fair few duplicate shots with slightly different exposures and/or viewpoints. The scenery was so good that it was almost impossible not to take a great shot each time - I actually commented to one of my fellow travellers that I was getting bored with taking shots of picture-perfect scenes day after day (not really). The trouble is that, back home now, nothing compares, and it's hard to get motivated to go shooting again, although I have been busy in photoshop and playing with my Smugmug site. That's why I'm busy saving for another photo tour - it really was an ideal way to get some great images, and without the family (who I REALLY do love iloveyou.gif), I had more than 3.5 seconds per shot before being dragged to the next amusement ride/food stall/giftshop!

Pathfinder - thanks for your comment about the frames (I remember a long thread about frames on another photo forum). I do like them, but I take your point about them taking up space, and as I'm considering upgrading to a Smugmug pro account to dip my toe into selling images, I'm re-doing the images without frames.

And a big thank you for everyone's kind comments about the images - it's been a very warm welcome to the community.

Frank
  • STLMach1STLMach1 Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2006
    Hi Frank!

Great shots! Looks like an incredible trip! Thank you for sharing the adventure with the grinners here. clap.gif

Michael
  • Bob&GlennieBob&Glennie Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2006
    So here I am a Canadian and never been to the Rockies ... bummer ne_nau.gif . Your work is excellent and when you get back to Aussie I for one will be looking forward to seeing what you do with your home territory.

Bob
    See with your Heart
    edited October 24, 2006
    So here I am a Canadian and never been to the Rockies ... bummer ne_nau.gif . Your work is excellent and when you get back to Aussie I for one will be looking forward to seeing what you do with your home territory.

Bob
    Thanks for your kind words Bob (ehmwink.gif). Yeah, I know what you mean....it took me about 15 years before I finally went inside the Sydney Opera House, and I only visited the Red Centre (Uluru etc) for the first time a few years ago.ne_nau.gif Do yourself a favour and get over to the Rockies - they are stunning. Australia is such a flat country that to these Aussie eyes it was just so awesome.

I've got some Aussie pics on my Smugmug site - please have a look. The Central Australian ones are actually scanned photos - one of the last times I used film.

Frank
  • smhs.imagessmhs.images Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2006
    wow
    Truly amazing and beautiful photos. I have been planning a trip to Banff for awhile after seeing a friends' photos. After seeing yours I think we need to go there soon. What time of year were these photos taken?
    Stunning! Especially the blue lake reflection one. Good work.
    Shawna
    www.shawnaseto.com

Nobody gets in to see the wizard. Not nobody, not no how.

Join Smugmug get $5 bucks off!
    edited October 27, 2006
    Truly amazing and beautiful photos. I have been planning a trip to Banff for awhile after seeing a friends' photos. After seeing yours I think we need to go there soon. What time of year were these photos taken?
    Stunning! Especially the blue lake reflection one. Good work.

They were taken last August. Well worth the trip (in my case, half the world away!)

Frank
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2006
    Oh my gosh...these are fantastic photos...I'm extremely jealous. I hope one day soon I can do the same. Thanks so much for posting.
  • JoanMRKJoanMRK Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited October 31, 2006
    These images are amazingly stunning! You've really got an eye and should definitely try out selling prints. I know I'd be interested in purchasing a few! iloveyou.gif
    edited November 1, 2006
    JoanMRK wrote:
    These images are amazingly stunning! You've really got an eye and should definitely try out selling prints. I know I'd be interested in purchasing a few! iloveyou.gif
    woohoo!clap.gif
  • JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    I checked out your gallery and it is beautiful. Thanks for sharing your pictures. :):
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
  • BPCooperBPCooper Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    Some beautiful landscapes, I really like the third one with the stones below water.