looks like Nikon has the D40 coming out

HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
edited November 17, 2006 in Cameras
Hi Y'all,

It looks like Nikon will be releasing an new entry level DSLR. Some of the alleged specs:

6,1 Megapixel
BxHxT: 94x126x64 mm
Compressed 12-bit NEF, JPEG
3 AF points [Cross-type AF sensors?!]
2.5" 230K LCD
Lithium-Ion EN-EL9
TTL (ISO 200 - 1600, HI1) with 3 modes:
3D Color Matrix Metering II
Center-weighted metering (75% of center field), 8mm spot
SD cards

Price should be a tad under $500. Definitely an attempt to hook first time DSLR buyers.

Thom Hogan seems to have called another. http://bythom.com/
Harry
http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2006
    You're forbidden to change your typo. FLIPA.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2006
    500$ nice price
    here are my questions related with DSLR world rolleyes1.gif

say if i buy a lens and DSlr some how :D and after 3 years my DSLR dies :cry will my lens work on new dslr ? no matter how big sensor size is of new dslr? :D
    headscratch.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2006
    500$ nice price

say if i buy a lens and DSlr some how :D and after 3 years my DSLR dies :cry will my lens work on new dslr ? no matter how big sensor size is of new dslr? :D
    headscratch.gif

yep as long as you get the same camera brand again
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited November 4, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    You're forbidden to change your typo. FLIPA.gif

Typo????? ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif Sid you should know better. I never make typos. lol3.gif
    Harry
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited November 4, 2006
    500$ nice price

headscratch.gif

This is a definite "maybe".

Canon has been known to change their lens coupling to the point of incompatibility (FD mount vs. EF and EF-S mount) and Canon is not good about licensing their electronic interface, resulting in some additional third-party compatibility issues.

Nikon is better, but there are still many problems, and using a pre-AI or F3AF on a modern body can reportedly cause damage.

http://www.nikonians.org/nikon/slr-lens.html

Minolta is also a mixed bag (MC/MD vs. A mounts), but only Pentax claims compatibility with virtually any modern body and older lens, although it may require an adapter and functions may be limited.

Another problem is "crop" bodies vs. full-frame bodies and lenses designed for use only on the crop bodies. Canon, Nikon, Olympus and Pentax now make lenses which will only work properly on the crop bodies. If a major revolution in imager technology allows inexpensive full-frame chip production (highly unlikely), that could have a major impact on the use of crop only lenses.

Who knows what will happen 3 years from now, but think how many images you would miss by waiting to find out?

If you have any specific compatibility questions, DGrin is a pretty good place to ask.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2006
    500$ nice price

headscratch.gif

Most likely yes. As long as you don't get one of the lenses that say for digital only (because that's marketing speak for crop sensor only).
    edited November 4, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    This is a definite "maybe".

Canon has been known to change their lens coupling to the point of incompatibility (FD mount vs. EF and EF-S mount) and Canon is not good about licensing their electronic interface, resulting in some additional third-party compatibility issues.

It'll be a long long time before we see another leap the size of the introduction of autofocus. I would definitley in 3 years all EF lenses will work on new Canon dSLR bodies.
  • ed_hed_h Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2006
    I have read in a forum that it will only be compatible with AFS lens, would someone mind explaining to a non nikon person the implications of that.
    Thanking you.
    Ed
    A dog is for life, not just Christmas
    http://www.dogshome.org.au/
    edited November 4, 2006
    Nikon AF-S lenses are lenses where the AF motor is in the lens (the S is for Silent-wave). That's how all Canon lenses focus (though, AF-S lenses are more like Canon's USM because non-USM speed Nikon lenses use the focusing motor in the camera).
    edited November 5, 2006
    Thanks for detailed info clap.gif
    Yes Ziggy you are absolutly right i have missed a lot shots :cry because of that slow focus :cry especially Bifs

I am not bothered to upgrade camera body but i am not happy if i buy expensive lens say Nikon's and when i am going to buy new body after 2 years and my lens is not compatible with that body eek7.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited November 5, 2006
    Thanks for detailed info clap.gif
    Yes Ziggy you are absolutly right i have missed a lot shots :cry because of that slow focus :cry especially Bifs

I am not bothered to upgrade camera body but i am not happy if i buy expensive lens say Nikon's and when i am going to buy new body after 2 years and my lens is not compatible with that body eek7.gif

That should not be a concern. None of the major players are going to come out with a new camera that's not compatible with their current lens offerings.
    Harry
  • JCDossJCDoss Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2006
    Interesting... were there any leaks of a D200 replacement coming at PMA?
    edited November 5, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    That should not be a concern. None of the major players are going to come out with a new camera that's not compatible with their current lens offerings.

Then surely i will buy a Dslr before my bro's marriage wings.gif

My Gallery
    edited November 5, 2006
    JCDoss wrote:
    Interesting... were there any leaks of a D200 replacement coming at PMA?

I doubt if the D200 will be upgraded before 2008 unless they come out with a D200s. The D2Hs looks like the next model in line for a major upgrade. The rumor is a 8-10 MP version in late 2007.
    Harry
  • JCDossJCDoss Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    I doubt if the D200 will be upgraded before 2008 unless they come out with a D200s. The D2Hs looks like the next model in line for a major upgrade. The rumor is a 8-10 MP version in late 2007.

Hmmm... well maybe I should just quit screwing around and pick one up then. Do you use one Harry?
    edited November 5, 2006
    JCDoss wrote:
    Hmmm... well maybe I should just quit screwing around and pick one up then. Do you use one Harry?

I use a D200 and a D2X. I just got the D200 after selling my D2Hs. So far I'm very impressed with the D200. The D2Hs had faster focusing than either the D2X or the D200 but the 4mp was just too limiting for me.

Once the D3H is released I will scoff one up but that probably won't happen for another 12 months or so. The D200 is probably the best camera around when you consider the bang you get for your buck.
    Harry
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2006
    500$ nice price

headscratch.gif
    Switch over to the dark side! >=] I did. muahaha. my sony has been asleep inside its bag ever since.
  • UT ScottUT Scott Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2006
    Not too sure I like much about what the specs for the D40 are going to be. The 3 point cross type autofocus thingy seems interesting. I don't see why they would only have 3 points so there must be something special about it. The price does seem interesting, I guess it's good for what they would market it for, entry level. I think i'll just save up for a D200 :ivar
    edited November 6, 2006
    mr peas wrote:
    Switch over to the dark side! >=] I did. muahaha. my sony has been asleep inside its bag ever since.

will surely do that in 2 or 3 years ! clap.gifclap

My Gallery
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited November 6, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    Thom Hogan seems to have called another. http://bythom.com/
    Thom is the man. nod.gif

the move to AF-S only is interesting, but pretty smart. My guess: you'll still be able to mount other lenses (unlike with old Canon lenses on new Canon bodies), you'll just have to focus manually. That's not a bad tradeoff for a sub $500 camera, and as most of us know, AF-S lenses are mostly darn good stuff.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• ballentphotoballentphoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Thom is the man. nod.gif

the move to AF-S only is interesting, but pretty smart. My guess: you'll still be able to mount other lenses (unlike with old Canon lenses on new Canon bodies), you'll just have to focus manually. That's not a bad tradeoff for a sub $500 camera, and as most of us know, AF-S lenses are mostly darn good stuff.

Happiness is AF-S thumb.gif The three point AF points most likely is so the VR lenses will work, but that is a guess since I always thought that you needed 5 points for VR to work, but I did not invent the system mwink.gif
    -Michael
    Just take the picture :):
    Pictures are at available at:http://www.ballentphoto.com

My Blog: http://ballentphoto.blogspot.com
  • clavelesclaveles Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited November 6, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Thom is the man. nod.gif

UG! Sounds like a horrible idea. Now granted, i own a N6006 because it mounts the old manual focus and the newer auto focus. I'll be fascinated to see how the D40 sells. what has kept me out of digital for so long is the pricing to quality ratio. But i am buying a nikon because i already have and love my nikon lenses. The d40 won't be bringing people who are waiting to change over, though it may appeal to the college photo class crowd.
    edited November 7, 2006
    claveles wrote:
    UG! Sounds like a horrible idea. Now granted, i own a N6006 because it mounts the old manual focus and the newer auto focus.
    and this is different from all of Nikon's DSLR's how? My D2h could control any AI+ lens.
    translation: I fear change lol3.gif
    what has kept me out of digital for so long is the pricing to quality ratio.
    Really? I'll venture to say that the D70 which was released, what, 5 years ago now? -is one of the best cameras ever made. It is still competitive or better than some of the "entry" level dslrs by all brands.

I guess I just find your comments are a bit "dated"... film bodies were never replaced at the rate that the digital equivalents are. How long was the F5 around before they released the F6? Almost a decade?! On the other hand, the D2h had maybe a year before the D2hs arrived. It's a different mindset - longevity doesn't mean better when digital improvements happen so fast.

Just sayin', I welcome all the new stuff from Nikon. In my opinion, they've been doing a pretty good job so far, keep it up.
    Erik

• patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Really? I'll venture to say that the D70 which was released, what, 5 years ago now? -is one of the best cameras ever made. It is still competitive or better than some of the "entry" level dslrs by all brands.

FYI :D

The D70, announced on 28th January 2004.
    edited November 7, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    FYI :D

The D70, announced on 28th January 2004.
    Wow, I'm having a really hard time with that... I gauged it by one of my best buddies, who's managed to get married, move away, and have not 1 but 2 babies since getting his D70! I remember sitting around with him talking photo when he was still a carefree batchelor, patiently waiting for his pre-ordered D70. Just shy of 3 years... feels more like 10!!! eek7.giflol3.gif
    Erik

• SpeshulEdSpeshulEd Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2006
    Don't know if this is old news or not, but I saw this today...
    http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/11385/nikon_d40/
    bored? check out my photo site...and if you have the time, leave a comment or rate some pictures while you're there.
    Canon 20D | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD IF | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
  • ire-davidire-david Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited November 17, 2006
    the main reason for no cheap full frame sensor bodies on the market is to do with the glass and not the sensor itself.

Cheap glass bends the light at the edge of the lens, meaning you get increased vinigetting and distortion on full frame sensors. the sensors have to have light fall perpendicular onto them to register it correctly as they are recesed in what have been described as tubes. ilm does not have this restriction on the angle of the light

people using full frame bodies, ie Canon 5d 1d and 1ds users, are unlikely to be using "cheap" glass

it also explains the amount of digital only lens coming ontothe marke
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Really? I'll venture to say that the D70 which was released, what, 5 years ago now?

Mate you gotta get rid of those aluminium pots & pans.
    edited November 17, 2006
    gus wrote:
    Mate you gotta get rid of those aluminium pots & pans.
    my space-time continuum ain't what it used to be
    Erik