Options

Can I get your opinion please?

SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
edited November 6, 2006 in People
Tried a new dodge and burn technique and wanted to know what ya thought. Let's try and keep the discussion focused on the technique / results and not the merits of the original image ok?

original
103821577-L-5.jpg

and reworked

107843310-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited November 5, 2006
    41 people with no opinion?
    rolleyes1.gif
    Well, you're lucky. Tonight I'll give you mine and you can pretend it was yours. The reworked image is better and the technique is a good one. You should try it.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2006
    I think its better. Takes that slight blowout to the left of the shot away.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited November 5, 2006
    The first one isn't too bad. But it lacks shadow detail. You've managed to
    recover some of it in the second print. As Gus notes, the blown sky benefits
    from this technique too.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2006
    It's an interesting approach to dodge and burn which I usually find to be difficult to control. It seemed to offer a much more subtle application of the tools. I'm looking forward to further exploration. I'm such a photoshop n00b it'sm constantly blowing me away with just how powerful it is in the right hands.
  • Options
    DernoDerno Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited November 5, 2006
    i love the shot itself.. just a question, do you just go up to random people and ask if you can take their picture, i always wondered that with photographers, because i see a lot of photos with ranom people on the street that are all up close and stuff. i dunno it just seems weird for the person to be like yeah! take a picture of me!
    http://www.derno.net
    Canon Rebel XT
  • Options
    judahjudah Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2006
    truth wrote:
    41 people with no opinion?
    rolleyes1.gif
    Well, you're lucky. Tonight I'll give you mine and you can pretend it was yours. The reworked image is better and the technique is a good one. You should try it.

Hi Chad,
    I found the first shot already quite good. It is difficult to pick out details in the face but the same goes for the reworked image. Both are very nice, I see just a little bit more of contrast on the second. ne_nau.gif
    Amazing grace! How sweet the sound
    That saved a wretch like me!
    I once was lost, but now am found;
    Was blind, but now I see.

http://judah.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    HallidayHalliday Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2006
    You seem to have improved parts of the photo but not the most important part to me, his face. Being too dark that is :)
    www.lanceshuey.com

I won't sell out even if the whole world think's I'm crazy.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited November 6, 2006
    I see only a very very slight difference... so that says 2 things, its a very subtle technique and/or an already good photo. ne_nau.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2006
    I see some very subtle differences and I'm not sure if it improves it enough. I think both shots could benefit from lightening his face. He has so much character I think bringing it out would only improve the shot. The few other things I can see (sky, shoe) do help, but I think that would help the most.

I am very impressed with the fact that I can't really see where it was done without studying the image at length. that's one reason I never dodge/burn. I'm going to have to check out the technique later when I have time!

HTH.