Options

Plaza Mayor with my new toys

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
edited November 7, 2006 in Landscapes
I took advantage of a recent trip to the US to pick up some new toys. Unfortunately, it has been raining almost without stop since I got back to Madrid, but there was a brief respite last weekend, so I went for a walk around my neighborhood. The first two were shot with a 17-40 f/4L and a 580EX flash using its built-in wide angle diffuser.

108067752-L.jpg

I am utterly intimidated by the flash. I have read a fair amount about it and while it all makes sense, it is another thing to remember which options you are supposed to use and when. Guess that will come with practice.

108067675-L.jpg

The shot above shows a dark corner of the plaza that I had never been able to capture well before.

I also picked up a Canon Teleconverter 1.4x II, which I used on a 70-200 f/4L for the next two. This guy is on the lookout for clients:

108067755-L.jpg
And this woman sells lottery tickets:
108067796-L.jpg
So far, I am happy with my new toys. I just wish it would stop raining.

Thanks for looking. C&C always welcome.

Cheers,

Comments

• Options
    MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2006
    Great shots!
    I especially like the B&W. It looks like it hasn't changed much since the last time I was there which was is in '84! Man, I feel old. I really need to get back to Madrid. It is such a fun city. thumb.gif
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2006
    Wonderful work Richard ! i must say i am more happy then you :D that BW is just amazing
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2006
    Maestro wrote:
    I especially like the B&W. It looks like it hasn't changed much since the last time I was there which was is in '84! Man, I feel old. I really need to get back to Madrid. It is such a fun city. thumb.gif
    The Plaza Mayor hasn't changed in a lot longer than that, though the rest of Madrid has changed quite a bit. It's still a lot of fun though. Thanks for looking.
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2006
    Wonderful work Richard ! i must say i am more happy then you :D that BW is just amazing

Thanks Awais. Glad you liked it. thumb.gif
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2006
    Awesome Richard they all look good
    I have never been able to master that flash...I need lots of practice.

Fred
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2006
    USAIR wrote:
    Awesome Richard they all look good
    I have never been able to master that flash...I need lots of practice.

Fred

Thanks, Fred. I think it's going to take a long time for me to figure it out, too.
  • Options
    judahjudah Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2006
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    108067675-L.jpg
    Oh my! This one's awesome! Superb! Great! Really really like it, the vibe, the shadows, the light. Well done. :D
    Amazing grace! How sweet the sound
    That saved a wretch like me!
    I once was lost, but now am found;
    Was blind, but now I see.

http://judah.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2006
    judah wrote:
    Oh my! This one's awesome! Superb! Great! Really really like it, the vibe, the shadows, the light. Well done. :D
    I recon also. He is lighting a durrie but also his focus is way ahead as if he has just remembered something he should have bought.
  • Options
    El KiwiEl Kiwi Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2006
    gus wrote:
    I recon also. He is lighting a durrie but also his focus is way ahead as if he has just remembered something he should have bought.

Absolutely, this one is my pick of the bunch too. Nice work RS, I live in Madrid as well, you've captured the plaza nicely. I also just bought a flash, the 430EX, and I'm completely baffled by it. I haven't had a chance to play with it properly yet.
    Constructive criticism always welcome!
    "Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2006
    judah wrote:

Hey thanks, Judah. Something about that corner has always fascinated me. It is dark and a bit seedy. I always get the feeling that I have been transported back in time about 75 years.

Cheers,
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2006
    gus wrote:

Thanks mate.
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2006
    El Kiwi wrote:
    Absolutely, this one is my pick of the bunch too. Nice work RS, I live in Madrid as well, you've captured the plaza nicely. I also just bought a flash, the 430EX, and I'm completely baffled by it. I haven't had a chance to play with it properly yet.

Hey Kiwi,

Thanks. Shoot me a PM anytime you want to go shooting together, or just have a beer. Maybe we can even figure out how the flashes work. headscratch.gif

Cheers,