Options

One Woman Gallery Show

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited May 17, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
:ginger (do I still have to walk dogs???? I am an Artiste! Smile:barb )

Saul Alexander Gallery Art Exhibit

I submitted photos to the Charleston County Library downtown which is where this gallery is.

I just learned today that they were accepted, so I will be having a one

woman show at the Saul Alexander Gallery in July 2007. for the month.

smile,

ginger

(please move this if it is in the wrong place)

I will be asking lots of questions re pricing, etc. More questions than
usual, but I plan to bask in happiness (a bit) for a while first.
Yes, I can leave a price list and business cards.

They said that the committee really liked my work and that they

were most impressed with the birds: can anyone believe that. I have

to sneak a couple of landscapes in.
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    Congrats to you Ginger!
    You deserve the recognition.
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    Congratulations, Ginger! wings.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited November 1, 2006
    You're my hero! That's awesome.
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    clap.gifgreat news :ivarcongrats
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    Ginger,
    Congratulations.
    It's nice to see that our work is recognized.
    More expositions will come. You will see !...wings.gif
    All the best to you.
    :D - thumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    Congratulations!
    I've missed your posts on dgrin... where have you been?

That's great about the show. How many photos can you have on exhibit?
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2006
    Thanks, Everyone!

I mostly post on the Daily Community on Smugmug, sometimes on dGrin Community on Smugmug, and it can be a full time job right there, if I let it.

I lurk here and sometimes post. Even with the time change here there are only so many hours to do much, it seems.

I can..........have to, hang 12-20 shots, and I have no shots blown up or framed at this point, not the size I planned on posting which was bigger but equivalent to the 7.5 X 5 size that they come out of the camera, then they need to be matted and framed. It is 18 by something, I think.

My oldest daughter talked me into doing something with my photos, she encouraged me to submit for this gallery thing...................right now she is busy buying and moving into a new house, but I assume that, or hope that, by July we can have something put together. It is a bit daunting. I have never done anything like this before.

I was not aware that groups could apply, so I applied by myself..........

and now I have to do what needs doing, I guess, to exhibit 12 to 20 photos.

I am going to think about that part "tomorrow", smile. Now that I live in the south of the USA, I think that "tomorrow" is the best policy.

ginger (thanks to everyone for noticing and responding)
  • Options
    JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    Hopefully I'll be in your shoes one day. Congratulations. :):
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    Congrats! Wish I could see the show. Maybe somebody from dgrin can be there to photograph you on opening night!

I don't know what you submitted/got picked, but my very favorite photo of yours is from a jazz concert where you took a blurred/motion-style picture of a sax player. Has always been a favorite ...

Good luck on opening night!
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    OH wow! I am just thrilled for you Ginger! You certainly deserve the recognition and I'm so proud of you for feeling good enough about your work to apply! I certainly wish I could be there in person to see it and I'm sure a lot of other folks do too. Hmmm...hopefully there is another Dgrinner in the area that could attend and photograph the event? Way to go Ginger........and yes, you have to keep walking the dogs! clap.gifwings.gifclapwings.gifclapwings.gifclap :saurora
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    Congratulations, Ginger! That's awesome!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2006
    Hoooooray for you
    ginger_55 wrote:
    :ginger (do I still have to walk dogs???? I am an Artiste! Smilewings.gif )

Saul Alexander Gallery Art Exhibit

I submitted photos to the Charleston County Library downtown which is where this gallery is.

I just learned today that they were accepted, so I will be having a one

woman show at the Saul Alexander Gallery in July 2007. for the month.

smile,

ginger

(please move this if it is in the wrong place)

I will be asking lots of questions re pricing, etc. More questions than
    usual, but I plan to bask in happiness (a bit) for a while first.
    Yes, I can leave a price list and business cards.

They said that the committee really liked my work and that they

were most impressed with the birds: can anyone believe that. I have

to sneak a couple of landscapes in.

Way to go Ginger clap.gifclap.gif Hooray for you girl :ivar
    Bet you can't get that grin off your face can ya, well you've worked hard, you deserve the lime light ......... all the best Ginger ... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2006
    Way to go, lady! If anyone deserves this, you do!

Hmmmm. Looks like I have a road trip planned for July of 2007 - Charleston sounds like a good destination!

Please keep us informed as things progress. I'm sure I'm not the only one that is keenly interested in your success!
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Thanks, Everyone!

I mostly post on the Daily Community on Smugmug, sometimes on dGrin Community on Smugmug, and it can be a full time job right there, if I let it.

I lurk here and sometimes post. Even with the time change here there are only so many hours to do much, it seems.

I can..........have to, hang 12-20 shots, and I have no shots blown up or framed at this point, not the size I planned on posting which was bigger but equivalent to the 7.5 X 5 size that they come out of the camera, then they need to be matted and framed. It is 18 by something, I think.

My oldest daughter talked me into doing something with my photos, she encouraged me to submit for this gallery thing...................right now she is busy buying and moving into a new house, but I assume that, or hope that, by July we can have something put together. It is a bit daunting. I have never done anything like this before.

I was not aware that groups could apply, so I applied by myself..........

and now I have to do what needs doing, I guess, to exhibit 12 to 20 photos.

I am going to think about that part "tomorrow", smile. Now that I live in the south of the USA, I think that "tomorrow" is the best policy.

ginger (thanks to everyone for noticing and responding)

Ginger,

Congratulations!

Now as to the framing. You wrote a coupls of sentences I can't make heads or tails out of.

"not the size I planned on posting which was bigger but equivalent to the 7.5 X 5 size that they come out of the camera, then they need to be matted and framed. It is 18 by something, I think."

There is no out of camera size that I know of. But here are some thoughts on photo sizes and frames. If you keep a 2 to 3 aspect ratio you might consider 6" X 9" photo with an 11" X 14" frame. If you would like a little bigger maybe try 8" X 12" photo with a 12" X 16" frame. If you have cropped any of your photos to odd sizes that will throw a monkey wrench into the project, and will necesitate a custom matt. While not all that hard to come by will increase the cost a little. I would try and hang larger rather than smaller photos. They just look soo much more impressive larger!

If possible, pick your very best photo and print it out at say 20" X 30" and frame it. That way people can get a good idea of what a larger version of thier favorite photo would look like in that most impressive size.

Call Mark at Frame Destination. He can have you set to go in ten minutes. Afer you have decided which photo you want to print. The whole order and frame process shouldn't take over 2 weeks. OK, if you want to go to the beach and take photos, 3 weeks. By july you could print and mount thousands. Don't stress you have gobs of time.

Good Luck,

Sam
  • Options
    raptorcaptorraptorcaptor Registered Users Posts: 3,968 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2006
    Congrats! clap.gif
    Glenn

My website | NANPA Member
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2006
    Great news, Ginger!! Well deserved, too.
    Chris
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2006
    Frame Destination Quality Frames and Mats

Here you are. Good products, pricing, and people.

Sam

Sam, you wrote that awhile back, I did a search a few weeks ago and found it. I looked them up, they looked good. I found a frame package I liked for something like 43.40 a piece .......they were all talked about on that thread where you posted re that place.

I was set to just go with that................only problem being that my kids have to pay for this, and one of them thinks that price is too high. I have explained to her that if I want to sell my stuff it has to look good and professional, so she wants to run around her town and see if she can get a discounted rate.

Now she is talking about getting a loan for this, as I think she is beginning to realize the "pickle" we all got into by trying to get "mom" to go into business.

The other daughter is moving, quite literally. So, while I sort bird photos, I figure after the first of the year we will get serious and somehow come together and get this done. Once the "kids" realize that this person is the way to go, get the loan and I have the photos picked out, yes, it should be a cinch.

What I think is funny, Sam is that I was already following what you wrote
    6/12/2006. I appreciate that advice, and the update, smile. They do look like good people. I think they may have redone their website. I can't find the size info real fast, but I just am not phrasing it well.

I do want to go as big as possible, reasonably. The woman said 12 to 20 prints, but she was a bit confused because it depends.........on size I guess. I figure that when my daughter comes down before Christmas we will go check the gallery out.

But I can't narrow my choices to 12 to 20. I mean I will. I will have to. But I have been photographing for years now. I checked to see what bird shots I sent on a CD that they liked (I sent landscapes and birds. No people as I don't have releases). She said that the committee was particularly impressed with the birds (there is some humor there).

So, other than a couple of landscapes that I am particularly impressed with, it shall be a bird show.
    And is this ever difficult!!! I am going to put all of my favorites in a gallery and take a few rejects out every day or so??? I hope. I am working on it. But I have different styles depending on place, birds, activities, etc. And it is difficult to narrow it down. Basically I shoot wading birds. I am not going to include raptors or something that I am not that good at. But Egrets and Herons, I could have 10 or 20 shows just with them. Or even just with egrets.

So, would you do all the prints and frames that big? I was going to use a white mat and black frame, all the same. One duotone bird, all the rest in color. If you did one big one (resolution is a factor, I would think......I don't know since I don't get prints), what size would you do the others. I am going to have smugmug do the printing. Lustre, I guess.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. This kind of info is invaluable!!!

ginger (everyone thanks for the nice comments!!! This is really an honor for me)
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2006
    Ginger,

I have found cheaper frames than Frame Destination, but I have not found frames of the same quality for less. Also They make it so easy. You buy the frame, mat cut to size, foam core backing, plexiglass, hanging kit all in one package.

You are more than right about using good quality materials for your prints. I can't caution you, (your daughter) too much, about the pearls of tring to save a few pennies. You can't (well I can't) ask a price that will provide reasonable proffit and deliver an inferior product.

You mentioned you don't print a lot. I would recomend you start getting some test prints done. See how close the print matches your monitor. This unfortunitly can be problematic. Do you know how to use icc profiles to soft proof? Also normally I will sharpen the image a little more for a print than computer viewing. Of course large prints are sharpened a little less. I would recomend a few trial prints from maybe both Smugmug, and MPIX to see if there is any difference, and to also become familar with the online ordering process. I would recomend El-Color Labs for the 20" X 30". Price and quality can't be beat! Fun huh?

As for size, my thought would be to determine what sizes I think will be the most popular, and make sure I have at least one of each, with the majority in say the middle size.

I continue to believe prints are more impressive at a larger rather than smaller size, and I like a wider rather than narrow matt.

Remember me when your rich and famous.

Sam
  • Options
    fdifdi Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited November 5, 2006
    Hi Ginger,

Congratulations on your show! A first gallery showing is always very exciting. I looked at your work, and I can see why you were accepted. I looked at your portrait and can see why your work is so good. You are open with yourself, and therefore open to nature and its essence. We would be honored to have our picture frames displaying your work, but even if you find another source, feel free to call me with any picture framing questions you have. If you let me know what you are looking at I will be happy to let you know if we have other options. For example, our profile 2 looks the same from the front as Nielsen 117 but costs less. We also have volume discounts at 4, 10, and 25. Sometimes you can see the discount right away, other times you need to place it in your cart and play with the qty there to see the other prices. If you find a good deal on some frames at something like Aarons 1 cent sale but they don’t have mats or the mats are the wrong size we can do custom mats. We also have standard mats to allow placing a 6x9 into an 11x14 or 12x18 into a standard 18x24.

Cheers,
    Mark
    Picture Frames Destination, Inc.
    Facebook
    My Picture Framing Blog
    Rebel T2i, 100mm/2.8, 28-105mm
    100-300mm, 17-35mm
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited November 6, 2006
    Congratulations Ginger clap.gif

You've worked very hard over the past couple of years and have improved so much. This a much deserved reward for your dedication.

Listen to Sam's wise advice and do the job right. Don't cheap out on the framing project. That's the key to your presentation and ultimately your profit margin.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2006
    wings.gifbarbwings.gifbarbwings.gifbarbwings.gifbarbwings.gifbarb
    bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbow
    clap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclap
    BTW CONGRATS!!!!! YOU DESERVE IT!!!!!

I would suggest you take an afternoon and go to at least one photo exhibit there in Charleston, to see what others are doing.....
    Personally I cannot see printing, matting and framing anything smaller than an 11 x 14 print...this would be a 16 x 20 on the small side or 20 x 24 on the large side after matting and then add a frame......
    Larger is very impressive.....I always ask myself...How would that photo in a magazine look at 16 x 20 or 30 x 40 inches......

When I see an exhibit of prints athat are smaller than 11 x 4 (print only size), my first thought is why is photog wasting time exhibiting such small pics or won't the camera produce anything large due to its resolution and my last thouht is hasn't the photog heard od Genuine Fractals.....

So here goes a suggestion...if you use anyone except smugmug for printing....get you photos rsolution to 300dpi.....that drops pic size to usually around 8 x 10 (or digital equivilalent)....download the trial version of the latest Genuine Fractals Print PRO and use it to up size all y9our photos to 20 x 30 or 30 x 40 or 40 x 60 inches as a number 12 jpg... do this for all 20 prints....this is a free trial version and it allows you to work and SAVE 20 finished prints.....take a crop of a critical area of a few of your shots and have them printed at cheapo loacl printer (such as SAms Club or their hight priced brother Wally world) see how that section looks....if the critical section looks good the n so will the rest.....

Why I suggest the use of GF Print Pro is this: Most people that go to exhibitions of Art do not understand the concept of "VIEWING DISTANCES" and so they try to view a 20 x 30 picture at a distance of 1-2 feet...so close if it a painting that they see the globs and strokes that made up this master piece and walk away saying it looked terrible...but only if they had stepped back a few more feet all the blimishes would have melded into the painting and they would have been awed.

People normally try to view hanging photos the same as if they were hand holding a 4 x 6 proof sized print and again they see all the noise and paper texture they would not have see if they had been at a proper view distance...

Using the GF Print Pro trial allows you to produce prints that do not need the viewing distance...if the photos are noiseless at the 300dpi size (approx 8 x 10 inches) they will be noiseless at 20 x 30 or 30 x 40 at 300 dpi........GF print pro keeps the dpi and increases the linear size...so again ...if it take sharp at 8 x 10 300dpi....it will be tack sharp ar the larger sizes.

Since this trial is free...why not give it a try......

here is a link: GENUINE FRACTALS PRINT PRO , you can play with as many prints as you want but can only SAVE 20 or it will expire after 30 days.

This above link takes you directly to the download sign up page.

Good luck with your show....I have relatives in Columbia and maybe they would enjo seeing your show if they can get away from their jobs to make the trip.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2006
    Art Scott wrote:
    Why I suggest the use of GF Print Pro is this: Most people that go to exhibitions of Art do not understand the concept of "VIEWING DISTANCES" and so they try to view a 20 x 30 picture at a distance of 1-2 feet...so close if it a painting that they see the globs and strokes that made up this master piece and walk away saying it looked terrible...but only if they had stepped back a few more feet all the blimishes would have melded into the painting and they would have been awed.

People normally try to view hanging photos the same as if they were hand holding a 4 x 6 proof sized print and again they see all the noise and paper texture they would not have see if they had been at a proper view distance...

Using the GF Print Pro trial allows you to produce prints that do not need the viewing distance...if the photos are noiseless at the 300dpi size (approx 8 x 10 inches) they will be noiseless at 20 x 30 or 30 x 40 at 300 dpi........GF print pro keeps the dpi and increases the linear size...so again ...if it take sharp at 8 x 10 300dpi....it will be tack sharp ar the larger sizes.

Since this trial is free...why not give it a try......

here is a link: GENUINE FRACTALS PRINT PRO , you can play with as many prints as you want but can only SAVE 20 or it will expire after 30 days.

This above link takes you directly to the download sign up page.
    I'm going to hi-jack Ginger's thread for just a line to say, "This is some seriously good information!"
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2006
    That's really fabulous, Ginger. I hope you will put together a gallery of your choices so those of us who can't get to Charleston can enjoy the show!! And maybe pruchase prints!

Congratulations. This is bound to be just the beginning for your professional career.

By the way, a friend of mine used Genuine Fractals and his HP printer to make a 22x33 print of one of my 20D Paris photos yesterday and it is a show stopper. Big IS better - at least sometimes. :D

Virginia

P.S. It would be great if one of the moderators could take some of the helpful info in your thread and start a new tread to help people who are pulling together their first shows.

Email
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2006
    Gosh everyone! I am reading the responses! I have been reading them, and helpful information just keeps coming in.

I do agree that a tutorial or something for people who are new to shows, or even tips for those who have done a few shows, I think that would be very helpful and bring attention to that avenue for showing and selling one's prints.

I was amazed at the number (I was amazed that there were any) of calls for art work that came out with the beginning of what they called here the "fall Art season", or something like that. I had wondered how people knew about shows to enter them.

Then summer came to a close and I noticed in our local paper that there were calls for entries to art exhibits. I picked the library one as I thought it would have the most bang, so to speak.

My children had wanted me to do flea markets and work stands and things. I have absolutely resisted. I wanted my photos to be seen in a more upscale place than a flea market, which I used to do with antiques. I can't hear well enough to sell anything, and especially not in a crowded noisy venue.

So I was thrilled at this opportunity. Then I realized how special this was (12 exhibits only in a year and I knew there would be other applicants). Since nothing was ready or framed, I submitted a CD, my resume was a mess of "talking" and gushing. The talking is normal for me, the gushing is not, and neither was what I would call a resume. I was having medical tests at the time, many, all in the week of submissions, so I grabbed CD, gushing resume and another sheet to say "hey, I'm here, so to speak, and my name is Ginger Jones, except when it is NOT".

Anyway, as we know the committee did like my work, I am in for July.

And I am glad it is to be July, as that gives my "partners and children" time to work with me to "create" this art work of a show.

So, I am eating up and gushing re the amt of responses to this thread.

I am not going to try to respond personally, now, but I have not seen any advice that I do not plan to use. Thank you so much!!!! I wanted you all to know that I am following this thread and appreciate every single response.

ginger
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
    Warmest congrats, Ginger, I haven't seen your recent work and will trot off to see it. Hope everything comes together without too much aggravation.

Glad you've resisted the bottom feeder approach to showcasing your work by making cheapo prints for flea markets, etc.!
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2010
    I was thinking again of Ginger today. Miss her.......
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2010
    Zanotti wrote: »

Thanks for bumping this up. I did not know Ginger but enjoying the photos.
  • Options
    StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2010
    Zanotti wrote: »
    I too think of her often. Still with a touch of sadness, but usually with a smile at her humor and how she inspired so many people.
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke