Options

Help please!

dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
edited November 6, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business
Holy cow! I just received an email from a design manager at Avalon Publishing saying they want permission to use one of my photos for the cover of one of their books! :barbWooohooo!

My question is, what is my next step? How should I transact this? Is Smugmug digital download good enough? The email says they require a hi res file. Is there a standard format or should I ask them what they require?

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Update: The photograph in question was taken at a museum, and I recall seeing a sign that says photography is permitted for non-commercial use only. Crap. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. Please ignore this post. :(

Updte2: I checked the museum web site and commercial photography is allowed as long as one gets permission first and pays a fee. I'll check to see if I can do this after the fact or if I need to reshoot.

Comments

• Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2006
    Once you figure out if the photo can be used or not, then get with the publishing company to find out what they need format wise. If they need something you can't provide, tell them what you can provide (i.e. I can't provide a 500mp image, but I can provide an 8mp image.) They may just discover that will work fine after all mwink.gif

It all comes down to communication and not assuming anything and don't try to not look "dumb". Go ahead and ask if you don't what they are talking about. Many times, they may be using company specific terminology that just needs translating into human speak hehehe. Once you are all on the same page and speaking the same language, then the chances for success go way way up :-)
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2006
    I'd start with finding out how much the museum wants. That gets passed on to the publisher. Then find out about distribution of the book. With that information (# of copies & front page) you can now go hit some pricing resources to get the typical price range. There's some websites, software packages, and books covering this topic. Good luck. thumb.gif
  • Options
    dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2006
    Hi everybody,

Thanks for your help. After consideration and looking at the museum's photograph agreement I think I'm going to let the publisher deal directly with the museum.

The museum places restrictions on how images of their artifacts can be used. The applicant must agree that the photos will not be used in a manner that disrespects or misrepresents the culture that the artifact comes from (Native American in this case). I really don't feel comfortable signing such an agreement when I don't know how the publisher is going to use my photograph. I think the publisher should sign the agreement rather than me.

What do you think? Am I making a big deal out of nothing, or do I have reason to be concerned?
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2006
    dkoyanagi wrote:
    Hi everybody,

Thanks for your help. After consideration and looking at the museum's photograph agreement I think I'm going to let the publisher deal directly with the museum.

The museum places restrictions on how images of their artifacts can be used. The applicant must agree that the photos will not be used in a manner that disrespects or misrepresents the culture that the artifact comes from (Native American in this case). I really don't feel comfortable signing such an agreement when I don't know how the publisher is going to use my photograph. I think the publisher should sign the agreement rather than me.

What do you think? Am I making a big deal out of nothing, or do I have reason to be concerned?
    FWIW - I think you should follow up on Shay's advice and talk to the publisher. Get some details on the book on which they are proposing to put your photograph. If the book is respectful, then I would persue it further. A little time and effort on your part and the worst that can happen is that you gain some experience for when this happens for you again in the future.