Options

first eagle

HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
edited December 18, 2004 in Wildlife
Hi you'll,

This past weekend I was giving some visitng NYers the $5 tour of the Viera Wetlands. I was driving down the narrow, unpaved road when I slammed on the brakes because perched on the dead tree ahead of us was a bald eagle. This was the first time I've seen one outside of a zoo and I was a tad excited.

I wanted to get closer but the road went directly in front of him and I was afraid I would spook him if I got closer. Also, I noticed another photographer was already shooting from the side and I didn't want to spoil his shots even though he was shooting a Canon.

Harry
Harry
http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"

Comments

• Options
    edited December 16, 2004
    2nd shot
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2004
    mandatory flight shot
    Harry
  • Options
    ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2004
    Those are great Harry,

I have yet to see a Bald Eagle in the wild. I have a trip planned in Feb to go check them out.

PS
    I'll try to ignore the Canon remark......:gun2
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2004
    ehughes wrote:
    Those are great Harry,

I have yet to see a Bald Eagle in the wild. I have a trip planned in Feb to go check them out.

PS
    I'll try to ignore the Canon remark......:gun2

y'all have to excuse harry's manners - somewhat typical of nikon users lol3.gif

ps: nice boid harry!
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2004
    Thanks Ed
    Hey Ed,

When you go after the eagels make sure you have some reach. My shots are heavily cropped and I was using my 80-400 lens. They are a thrill when you see them. I was so caught up when he took to flight there was a delay before I realized I was trying to get a shot.

Hey I was nice to the Canon guy, I didn't ruin his shot. I realized he was shooting with a handicap (he didn't have enough reach, he was using the 70-200) so I gave him all the help I could. I always try to help out Canon shooters. mwink.gif

Harry
    Harry
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2004
    GREAT SHOTS HARRY ,[eagles are not easy] shot about 100 in alaska years back pre digitail and only had 2 i liked if i had been able to look at my shots i would have had many more after i made the up for the speed .All birds of prey are kodak moments again MR H GREAT SHOTS clap.gif oh Harry got my vr yesterday 1drink.gif Jeff
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited December 16, 2004
    Harryb wrote:
    Hey Ed,

When you go after the eagels make sure you have some reach. My shots are heavily cropped and I was using my 80-400 lens. They are a thrill when you see them. I was so caught up when he took to flight there was a delay before I realized I was trying to get a shot.

Hey I was nice to the Canon guy, I didn't ruin his shot. I realized he was shooting with a handicap (he didn't have enough reach, he was using the 70-200) so I gave him all the help I could. I always try to help out Canon shooters. mwink.gif

Harry
    Awwwww man, I want one too :cry Nice shots Harry, you lucky dog mwink.gif You are right, they are a thrill to see. I'd have probably dropped my camera in the mud, I'd be so amped up....Laughing.gif I get that way with hawks and herons, an eagle would push me over the edge (since I've already got my toes curled over it...lol).

Reach is the magic word. I used to think that 400-500mm's would get me close. I was way off on that one ne_nau.gif Even with the Bigma's close to 800mm reach, big raptors only fill a very small portion of the frame. Meaning that you only have 100-200kb of image data to work with, if you're lucky.

Laughing.gif @ you being nice to the Canon guy :lol As for him shooting with the 70-200mm, maybe he was using a 1.4X, or even a 2X, TC under that 70-200. Which would have leveled the playing field some rolleyes1.gif

Anyhow, thanks for sharing these.

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2004
    what do you mean
    andy wrote:
    y'all have to excuse harry's manners - somewhat typical of nikon users lol3.gif

I got fine manners. I just mentioned that I had to assist that poor guy shooting a Canon. Those Canon shooters usually do need some help. :D

ps: nice boid harry!
    Thank you. Shooting eagles is a tad different than shooting NYC pigeons.

Harry
    Harry
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2004
    you are going to love that lens Jeff
    jwear wrote:
    GREAT SHOTS HARRY ,[eagles are not easy] shot about 100 in alaska years back pre digitail and only had 2 i liked if i had been able to look at my shots i would have had many more after i made the up for the speed .All birds of prey are kodak moments again MR H GREAT SHOTS clap.gif oh Harry got my vr yesterday 1drink.gif Jeff
    Thanks Jeff. I can't wait to see what you and that 70-200VR do together.

Harry
    Harry
  • Options
    FLEMING7155FLEMING7155 Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited December 16, 2004
    Harryb wrote:
    mandatory flight shot
    awsome pic id love to see one in the wild . i lived in new york for 14 yrs and never seen one , luck youthumb.gif
  • Options
    mikerad53mikerad53 Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited December 16, 2004
    I have bird-envy..............my hawk pales!
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2004
    Harryb wrote:
    Hi you'll,

This past weekend I was giving some visitng NYers the $5 tour of the Viera Wetlands. I was driving down the narrow, unpaved road when I slammed on the brakes because perched on the dead tree ahead of us was a bald eagle. This was the first time I've seen one outside of a zoo and I was a tad excited.

I wanted to get closer but the road went directly in front of him and I was afraid I would spook him if I got closer. Also, I noticed another photographer was already shooting from the side and I didn't want to spoil his shots even though he was shooting a Canon.

Harry
    Good shots Harry. You've turned into quite a bird watcher since moving south.
    Eagles are fun to see even here in Minnesota and Wisconsin.
    In the spring when they start to head up north, there is a small town
    named Wabasha. It's about 70 miles south of the twin cities, and it's on the
    Mississippi river. The eagles follow the river to the north. For a few days
    in the spring, the trees along the river are full of eagles. We talked to
    some folks there and they told of one weekend a few years back, that
    they counted over 500 eagles. The wife and I went down there last year
    in Feburary and only saw a couple of dozen of them, and none close
    enough for a real good shot. The National Eagle center is there also.
    They had 3 injured eagles in their care. The birds are used for classroom
    info and awareness.
    I hope you don't mind, here's a pic with my wife (5'-6") standing by a
    full grown eagle. the birds are huge.

Happy Holidays.
    dave.

37577058.jpg

Anyway, nice pics Harry.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    Tim KirkwoodTim Kirkwood Registered Users Posts: 900 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2004
    Harry these are great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love eagles! I collect them (not the reals ones but you know.....)

I wish I lived somewhere where I could just be out drivin and see such a site....

Thanks for sharing!!!!!!!!
    www.KirkwoodPhotography.com

Speak with sweet words, for you never know when you may have to eat them....
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2004
    Great!
    I envy this one!

Not much to say...I know how I felt those many years ago up at the Boundry Waters when I shot my first Baldy. iloveyou.gif

Congratulations clap.gif Harry. thumb.gif
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2004
    davev wrote:
    I hope you don't mind, here's a pic with my wife (5'-6") standing by a
    full grown eagle. the birds are huge.
    Wow! Is it any wonder this is the symbol of America? Nice touch having the flag in the background too. thumb.gif
    Anyway, nice pics Harry.
    I concur completely! Truly majestic.

Harry, I hope you're not too cheesed-off at me for sticking your head on a sodajerk's body. Just funnin', ya know?
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2004
    not to worry Fish
    Harry, I hope you're not too cheesed-off at me for sticking your head on a sodajerk's body. Just funnin', ya know?[/QUOTE]I loved it. I would had responded in that thread but I thought it was getting old and figured to let it slide on down.

Nothing much cheeses me off any more except maybe Andy's table manners when he has a plate of ribs before him. Its a sight no civiized person should be subected to. rolleyes1.gif

Harry
    Harry
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2004
    he was a bread jerk
    fish wrote:

Harry, I hope you're not too cheesed-off at me for sticking your head on a sodajerk's body. Just funnin', ya know?

get yer food / drink purveyors straight there, fish-mongerel lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2004
    my "ribs" radar went off
    but alas, it was just you, old, man, foaming at the mouth again lol3.gif

hey, steve and i had another good shoot tonight in cali -- little shooting and a lotta eatin' - italian tonight. missed you...

cheers,

a
    Harryb wrote:
    I loved it. I would had responded in that thread but I thought it was getting old and figured to let it slide on down.

Nothing much cheeses me off any more except maybe Andy's table manners when he has a plate of ribs before him. Its a sight no civiized person should be subected to. rolleyes1.gif

Harry[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2004
    Hey Steve,
    Awwwww man, I want one too :cry Nice shots Harry, you lucky dog mwink.gif You are right, they are a thrill to see. I'd have probably dropped my camera in the mud, I'd be so amped up....Laughing.gif I get that way with hawks and herons, an eagle would push me over the edge (since I've already got my toes curled over it...lol).

Come on down to Florida and I'll get you one of your own. :heh

We never have enough reach. I took a local workshop right before the Reznick workshop as part of our annual Birding and Wildlife Festival. The pro running it let me look through her setup. She was shooting with a Canon (maybe she wasn't that much of a pro ) rolleyes1.gif 600mm lens with a 2x tele-extender. Now that's reach. She was shooting witha film camera but can you imagine how far she could have gone witha digital and the 1.6x factor?

I'm always nice to Canon shooters. I figure they need all the help I can give them. :D

Harry
    Harry
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2004
    I Know the feeling
    awsome pic id love to see one in the wild . i lived in new york for 14 yrs and never seen one , luck youthumb.gif
    I had lived in NYC for 57 years and never saw one except at the Flushing Zoo.
    Thanks for the kind words.

Harry
    Harry
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2004
    balderdash
    mikerad53 wrote:
    I have bird-envy..............my hawk pales!
    Its never a comparison between shots but rather did we get the best shot we could in our individual situations. Yours was a fine shot.

Harry
    Harry
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2004
    Couple of years back I was in a canoe on Lake Umbagog in NH under a dead tree atop which was perched a bald eagle... we drifted around and around watching him sooooo closup.. oh if only I'd had my drebel than... I woulda had loads...1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2004
    Hey Dave
    That shot of your wife and the eagle really gives a good perspective on how big they are. Good shot also. They are magnificant.

Thanks for the kind comments.

Harry
    Harry
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2004
    Gorgeous bird, Harry!
    Great job.

ann
  • Options
    Trish323Trish323 Registered Users Posts: 908 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2004
    Hi Harry!

Yea! ya got the eagle!Great Captures of Him. And BTW...the tour should have been higher priced since it included an eagle!!clap.gif