Options

Printing Request

dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
edited November 27, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I have a few new panorama shots, and I'm on a mission to get some more. I would like to see a panorama printing option. Something like 13" tall by any length, 17" tall x any length and keep going from there. Price could be computed by square foot to cover the different width you will have from image to image.

I'm not sure if this is possible with ezprints, or it would require another partner.

Just throwing out some ideas.

Dave

Comments

• Options
    truelightstudiotruelightstudio Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited December 17, 2004
    I would second this option. EZprints does offer panorama prints, is there any way to have it here through smugmug?

Thanks,

P.S. Dave this is MOPO3, see ya tomorrow.

dkapp wrote:
    I have a few new panorama shots, and I'm on a mission to get some more. I would like to see a panorama printing option. Something like 13" tall by any length, 17" tall x any length and keep going from there. Price could be computed by square foot to cover the different width you will have from image to image.

I'm not sure if this is possible with ezprints, or it would require another partner.

Just throwing out some ideas.

Dave
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2004
    I'll third:-)
    It would be nice to have all the options.:-)thumb.gif

However, I'm not in any rush for this, either. I'd much rather see all the API working as described:-) - that is, if you folks wanna have a nice a fully working version for XMas:-)deal.gif

Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2004
    By the way here is a link to EZprint panorama options: http://ezprints.mye-pix.com/ezdirect/products.asp?Type=Panorama
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2004
    By the way here is a link to EZprint panorama options: http://ezprints.mye-pix.com/ezdirect/products.asp?Type=Panorama

Thanks for the link. I went to the ezprint site last night, and its not that easy to navigate. It seems like they *really* want you to sign up for an account there.

I like their pricing structure, but wish they would offer other sizes along with the 6" & 12" panoramas.

Dave
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2004
    EZprint but not EZ to navigate. I think I will try them. I figured that 12" x 60" panorama would be around $23 plus shipping. Which is not that bad. Framing it would be $$$. But I'm still too far from framing. Gotta get great shots first.

dkapp wrote:
    Thanks for the link. I went to the ezprint site last night, and its not that easy to navigate. It seems like they *really* want you to sign up for an account there.

I like their pricing structure, but wish they would offer other sizes along with the 6" & 12" panoramas.

Dave
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2004
    EZprint but not EZ to navigate. I think I will try them. I figured that 12" x 60" panorama would be around $23 plus shipping. Which is not that bad. Framing it would be $$$. But I'm still too far from framing. Gotta get great shots first.

I called a local frame shop yesterday to get pricing on 13x36 and 13x44 mat & framing of my conservatory shot. I was blown away! 13x36= $305 and 13x44 = $450!

I'm sure they gave me the price to have a professional job, but dang! I'm going to keep looking for cheaper options. If I find anything, I'll post back. Worst case scenario, I will just put an add on Craigslist.

Dave
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2004
    Ouch, very ouch! Ikea may have some smaller panorama usable frames. They not very high quality, but may do. You may have to get a custom mat cut for it.
    I used some of their cheap frames, looks OK by my standards. Haven't tried frames fro pano.

Here are some links:
    http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=12&productId=14542&langId=-1&parentCats=10109*10246

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=12&productId=16020&langId=-1&parentCats=10109*10246

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=12&productId=43259&langId=-1&parentCats=10109*10246

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=12&productId=43653&langId=-1&parentCats=10109*10246

dkapp wrote:
    I called a local frame shop yesterday to get pricing on 13x36 and 13x44 mat & framing of my conservatory shot. I was blown away! 13x36= $305 and 13x44 = $450!

I'm sure they gave me the price to have a professional job, but dang! I'm going to keep looking for cheaper options. If I find anything, I'll post back. Worst case scenario, I will just put an add on Craigslist.

Dave
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2004

Thanks for the links. A custom mat was the cheapest part of their pricing. A top of the line double mat for the largest size was around $70. That should be the top end, and they will go down depending on style & single or double.

I can print the panorama at home, I just need to buy the roll paper. I can do up to 13" wide and somewhere around 44" long. I would be nice to sell a few and not have to worry about the printing or shipping.

Dave
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2004
    Framing
    That has been pain in the butt. It's like getting the shot, spending hours post processing it, having it printed and delivered - it's all like 10..25% compared to the dumb frame!!

I was recently entertaining the following idea:
    There are those "clear" frames I found at local Michael's. Two pieces of a sturdy acrlylic plastic, one having some mounting on the back and some "hold-it" sticky tape piecies inside. Two sheets are bound together with a very simple cut-along black pipe, so the crossection looks like that
    [font=Courier New] _		[/font]
    [font=Courier New](====.... [/font]
    [font=Courier New] ~[/font]

here === are the two sheets you put you picture between, and the cut-along pipes are forming some sort of clamps holding the whole stuff together.

The whole thing looks pretty nice, but even that solution is relatively expensive - for 18x24 the price would be about $18. It's totally fine if you wanna do one picture, but if you thinking of 10+, it starts biting.

So I went to a local Home Depot to check what's availalbe. I found out that they sell sheets of sturdy acrylic plastic 48"x72" for about $30. Plastic tubing for sideclamps woul run probaly $5..$10. Monting I can figure out, but I doubt it will cost me more than $2 apiece, especiall if I buy in bulk.
    Do a simple math: one sheet of plastic for $30, and, say, $15 (TOP!) for accessories gives you 4 pairs of 18"x24" or 9 pairs of 12"x16". Cost per frame: about $11 for 18x24 or about $5 for 12x16.
    Of course, it also requiers some time to cut, mount and assemble, but, hey, that can be a nice weekend project you can do with you kids:-)

That said - I think I'm actually gonna try it these holidays:-)
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2004
    Nikolai wrote:
    That has been pain in the butt. It's like getting the shot, spending hours post processing it, having it printed and delivered - it's all like 10..25% compared to the dumb frame!!

I was recently entertaining the following idea:
    There are those "clear" frames I found at local Michael's. Two pieces of a sturdy acrlylic plastic, one having some mounting on the back and some "hold-it" sticky tape piecies inside. Two sheets are bound together with a very simple cut-along black pipe, so the crossection looks like that
    [font=Courier New] _		[/font]
    [font=Courier New](====.... [/font]
    [font=Courier New] ~[/font]

here === are the two sheets you put you picture between, and the cut-along pipes are forming some sort of clamps holding the whole stuff together.

The whole thing looks pretty nice, but even that solution is relatively expensive - for 18x24 the price would be about $18. It's totally fine if you wanna do one picture, but if you thinking of 10+, it starts biting.

So I went to a local Home Depot to check what's availalbe. I found out that they sell sheets of sturdy acrylic plastic 48"x72" for about $30. Plastic tubing for sideclamps woul run probaly $5..$10. Monting I can figure out, but I doubt it will cost me more than $2 apiece, especiall if I buy in bulk.
    Do a simple math: one sheet of plastic for $30, and, say, $15 (TOP!) for accessories gives you 4 pairs of 18"x24" or 9 pairs of 12"x16". Cost per frame: about $11 for 18x24 or about $5 for 12x16.
    Of course, it also requiers some time to cut, mount and assemble, but, hey, that can be a nice weekend project you can do with you kids:-)

That said - I think I'm actually gonna try it these holidays:-)

When you do try this, can you post back the results? This sounds like an interesting option.

Thanks for the info.
    Dave
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2004
    You betcha
    dkapp wrote:
    When you do try this, can you post back the results? This sounds like an interesting option.

Thanks for the info.
    Dave
    The thing is, I have a dozen of 10"x15"s I recently "purchased" from myself, lying in the shipping box waiting to be framed and displayed. So I have an urging need to come wth a solution:-). And, unless I got sutck with my smugmug explorer enhancements (which I also might, cause I have tons of planned and written down features that are crying to be implemented:-), holidays are just perfect for this kind of stuff..

Cheers!1drink.gif
  • Options
    davidryandavidryan Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2006
    dkapp wrote:

Dave
    Hi Dave--

I ran across this post and thought I'd throw in my two cents....
    First cent-- I'd love there to be a pano option, too!! Panos usually sell MUCH better than normal prints in my experience.

Second cent-- I bought my own matting equipment-- on sale at a local art store-- and I've done the same sizes you mentioned in your post for roughly 10% of the cost. Just an idea...you could give'er a try yourself. I've framed a ton of things now. The first few were not as good-- but now I'ma pro wings.gif