Options

Testing 17 - 85, 20d and onboard flash

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited December 17, 2004 in People
I cannot afford anything different before Christmas, but am trying to make a concerted effort to get more candid and not so candid photos of the people around me. We will have many family gatherings over Christmas, including a visit to my husbands grandmother who turns 90 on Dec. 26. So I am trying to make the most with what I have, and to get settings down beforehand. I envision the need for group shots - I do have the 85mm for any real single portraits I need to do.
This first is my mom and my pup. No PP really yet, red eye reduction and USM. Need to redo the red eye, I think.
Would a smaller apeture have been better - mom is a bit soft compared to Kelso.
12787109-M.jpg
My nephew:
12787108-M.jpg
My goofy son
12787104-M.jpg
12787107-M.jpg

How'd I do?
ann

how come the pics aren't embedded?

Ann, I hope you don't mind, but I fixed 'em for ya. All you need to do is add a on the front and a on the back and they will show up. (minus the spaces, of course). - fish

Comments

• Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited December 16, 2004
    Great Ann, they look really good. I like the combination of natural lighting if you can use it, with the flash not being so powerful that it becomes the only light. I like that you can see natural light in this shot and that the flash didn't blow out his face or create huge shadows.

12787107-M.jpg

I have a 20d too and use the f 2.8 lenses to get a lot of ambient light and use the flash to provide just a puff of fill. Yesterday I had lunch with a guy who wanted me to shoot some corporate photos, so I whipped out the 20d with an on-board flash and did it the quick way.

I don't like it when the flash is bright enough to create shadows from his hands to his pants or something. Just enough to put a sparkle in the eyes and lightly fill the shadows.

12766015-L.jpg
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2004
    Ann McRae wrote:

It looks like you've done a real nice job w/ the on board flash. I'm not much help here since I don't know the first thing about flash photography, but I can help your question above.

To embed an image into the post, you will need to put the html tags before and after. It will look like this:
    link to your photo

hope this helps,
    dave
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2004
    Baldy wrote:
    I whipped out the 20d with an on-board flash and did it the quick way.
    The built-in flash on the 20D is nothing short of amazing. Easily 3x better than the flash on the 10D. I was constantly fighting white balance, color, and exposure on the 10D. With the 20D, I can flip and snap in confidence.

Ann, I was going to make a comment about the boy's hair over his eyes, when I realized I was just jealous that it's not an option for me anymore. :cry
    Nice fireplace, btw :)
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited December 16, 2004
    Ann McRae wrote:
    How'd I do?
    In the support section is some more detail. But if you click on the
    Insert Image icon, second line, yellow--looks like a mountain, and add
    the link in there "the right thing" will happen.

I'd say ya done good! The flash is enough to light the subject but not
    blow them out. Very nicely done.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2004
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

well done ann, good looking family. love kelso, never tire of seeing him.

oh and bowdown.gif to baldy, excellent example as well!

agree with the others, the onboard flash on the 20d is super.
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2004
    Ann, I hope you don't mind, but I fixed 'em for ya. All you need to do is add a on the front and a on the back and they will show up. (minus the spaces, of course). - fish[/QUOTE]

Thank you, fish. Much appreciated.clap.gif
    ann
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2004
    Hi Baldy - thanks - thats a great portrait.
    A little short of natural light here in December, unfortunately!
    :D
    ann
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2004
    Dave
    Thanks, that does help!

ann
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2004
    fish
    Ann, I was going to make a comment about the boy's hair over his eyes, when I realized I was just jealous that it's not an option for me anymore. :cry
    Nice fireplace, btw :)[/QUOTE]

He went to great lengths to put it in his eyesne_nau.gif
    He agreed to posing if I agreed to him choosing clothes and hair etc. So, what's a mom to do?

ann
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2004
    Thanks Ian
    I'd say ya done good! The flash is enough to light the subject but not
    blow them out. Very nicely done.

Appreciate it!
    ann
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2004
    Hiya Andy
    well done ann, good looking family. love kelso, never tire of seeing him.

Thanks. Kelso is a real charmer - just climbs up on my moms lap like that is a natural thing to do - and gets away with it to boot!

ann
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2004
    Ann McRae wrote:

So, what's a mom to do?

ann

Push the shutter release! :D
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2004
    12601390-M.jpg

Hi, Ann, I am ginger, my husband took that of me and my dogs last Saturday. My hair is always in my eyes, I embarrass my 37 yr old daughter, but last Sat with the wind blowing, I could either hold my hair back, or hold the dogs, and I couldn't resist posting this.

I do like your candids, and your slightly less than candids. I own a Rebel, am trying to learn to use a Sunpak with it. I certainly had no control of the on camera flash, am learning to control ratios by trial and error with the sunpak.

I really have no idea what I am doing. Any details would be appreciated.

As an aside, for family gatherings, they don't care............I have 5 pages of about 15 people from Thanksgiving family reunion, everyone loves them, even the ones where my flash was failing, the ones before I decided that after having the Sunpak almost a year, I needed to try using it. Etc.

The worst thing I ran into was not enough pictures of one daughter. She is not saying "why are the pictures sooooooo whatever", she is saying, "where are the pictures of ME!"

The more of everyone the better.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.