Options

Some questions for the portrait shooters

TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
edited November 8, 2006 in Accessories
1. I have two Sunpak 383s with a selection of softboxes and LiteDiscs and would like a better light. Will the color temp of the Alien Bees match well? I can afford an AB400 or 800 and would like to use it as the main light with the Sunpaks as background or hairlights. I figure that's a better choice over buying another 383.

2. What are the real differences between the Sekonic L308 and L358? Anything besides the remote triggering of PW-type products?

3. Where's a good place to get inexpensive backgrounds? Particular ebay stores?

Thanks.
panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
Sony F717 | Hoya R72

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2006
    What type of background do you have now? I use a black bckgrnd and 2 bckgrnd lights with (what's called) a "Z" holder for threatrical gels....I am a real fan of bright colors ...with 2 lights you can mix and match colors and have an almost unlimited amount of bckgrnds......I do this as I have always hated those painted bckgrnds you see at Sears, Walmart and such, also I have never really had room for a track system to have a bunch of muslins hanging.....also this allowed me to take the equiv. of say 10 - 30 bckgrnds when going on a potrait shoot away from my studio.

My black muslin was purchased from a threatrical supply as standard muslin (unbleached)....I painted it with govt surplus paint (exterior latex) that was slightly deluted and painted it with a roller in a random pattern just making sure that I didn't miss any of the muslin....let it dry and have used it for almost 20yrs.

You will want more AB's real soon as you will not be satisfied with using the 383's for long for studio work......all of my lights were the same make and model, that way I didnot have to look for my front lights and bckgrnd lights....I just grabbed a light and put it on a stand...my motto keep it simple (if you can...)
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2006
    Oh, I'm sure I'll want more ABs after working with one, but the budget isn't there right now. Thanks for your insight, Art.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2006
    The Z frame is now now by Photogenic...to show how old mine are I opurchased from a company called SPIRATONE....

Here is alink for you, so you can see what they look like at b&H Gel Frame

And I fully understand thebudget thing...ishot for long time with vivatar 285's and penut slaves to fire them....don't look fantastic but they work and get great results...and in the end that is all that matters.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    rjpatrjpat Registered Users Posts: 248 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2006
    Spiratone, I remember that brand from back in the 60's.
    Ron

We never know how something we say, do, or think today, will effect the lives of millions tomorrow....BJ Palmer
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited November 8, 2006
    Try looking through a Shutter Bug. I think you'll find a couple of great
    ads for low cost backgrounds.

An alternative is, of course, rental. I've rented one for $35 for a weekend.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?