Options

Need some printing advice

blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
edited December 18, 2004 in Finishing School
Not sure if this is the right place or not.

I have a lady that wants to purchase three of my prints.
The sizes on the prints are:

1. 5100 x 2755
2. 5065 x 1718
3. 5105 x 2542

Whats the best print size for these photo's? I belive I can have up to 30" 40" printed. But I want the best size for these.

Comments

• Options
    edited December 16, 2004
    Here's the information that was given to me.

"Well, the Panoramic shots need to be able to fit underneath a mat inside a frame, with the open area inside the mat measuring 22x9, give or take a few inches. Would that be a medium? Large?"
    If this helps any.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2004
    Print size
    Not sure if this is the right place or not.

I have a lady that wants to purchase three of my prints.
    The sizes on the prints are:

1. 5100 x 2755
    2. 5065 x 1718
    3. 5105 x 2542

Whats the best print size for these photo's? I belive I can have up to 30" 40" printed. But I want the best size for these.

Well, the *best* size will be 4x6". Will look the sharpest. Anything larger drops the dots-per-inch, which results in lower quality. Get the point? ;)

The first one is on the order of 14 million pixels. The second is on the order of 8.7, and the last is close to 14 again. I've done 20x30 prints from 6.3MP dRebels, from in-camera JPG's nonetheless (who needs raw!). If the camera used is a decent camera, and the lens used was a good lens, and the focus and exposure are good, print as large as you want.

I don't understand her question to you that you typed in. What is she asking about "medium" and "large" for?
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2004
    mercphoto wrote:
    Well, the *best* size will be 4x6". Will look the sharpest. Anything larger drops the dots-per-inch, which results in lower quality. Get the point? ;)

The first one is on the order of 14 million pixels. The second is on the order of 8.7, and the last is close to 14 again. I've done 20x30 prints from 6.3MP dRebels, from in-camera JPG's nonetheless (who needs raw!). If the camera used is a decent camera, and the lens used was a good lens, and the focus and exposure are good, print as large as you want.

I don't understand her question to you that you typed in. What is she asking about "medium" and "large" for?
    No idea I've been going back and foruth with this all day.

Here's what I've come up with so far. The printer will not print 22 x 9 so they said I had to put the 22 x 9 on a 24 x 12 canvas. That took all day because I'm not good with photshop and I was making 150+mb files :)

I think I have it now, they are around 4800 x 2400 at 200dpi and the image size is 24 x 12 at 200dpi.

I have the 3 files zipped if anyone would care to take a look at them and see if this is what I'm suppose to be doing.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2004
    Here's what I've come up with so far. The printer will not print 22 x 9 so they said I had to put the 22 x 9 on a 24 x 12 canvas. That took all day because I'm not good with photshop and I was making 150+mb files :)

I'm not a whiz at Photoshop either, but it is relatively easy to change the canvas size w/o having to resample the image itself. Open your 22x9 file, and there is a way to add to the canvas size w/o changing the image size at all. Keep the dpi the same and then instantly your problem is solved. What you end up with is a 24x12 file that has a white border around a 22x9 image.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2004
    mercphoto wrote:
    I'm not a whiz at Photoshop either, but it is relatively easy to change the canvas size w/o having to resample the image itself. Open your 22x9 file, and there is a way to add to the canvas size w/o changing the image size at all. Keep the dpi the same and then instantly your problem is solved. What you end up with is a 24x12 file that has a white border around a 22x9 image.
    Yea got that figured out about 2am. After all that work the lady backed out of buying the prints. I guess she didn't like the prices.