Options

If you thought football at night was bad

RandySmugMugRandySmugMug Registered Users Posts: 1,651 Major grins
edited November 12, 2006 in Sports

Comments

• Options
    igophotoigophoto Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited November 9, 2006
    Nice shots Randy. I absolutely hate shooting under high school stadium lights. Its the worst.
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2006
    igophoto wrote:
    Nice shots Randy. I absolutely hate shooting under high school stadium lights. Its the worst.

thx

I was so frustrated shooting w/ the 135/2 that I left at 1/2 time and it was a great game
    Most action is either too far away and crops at iso 1600 don't work out or too close for the 135
    the 135 is much better suited for FB since you can somewhat predict where the action will be
  • Options
    RustingInPeaceRustingInPeace Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
    Ditto
    thx

I was so frustrated shooting w/ the 135/2 that I left at 1/2 time and it was a great game
    Most action is either too far away and crops at iso 1600 don't work out or too close for the 135
    the 135 is much better suited for FB since you can somewhat predict where the action will be

I did not get one usable picture from my team's playoff game. Had some nice shots lined up but they all ended up a bit blurred.

“Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take pictures.” -Helmut Newton-
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2006
    I did not get one usable picture from my team's playoff game. Had some nice shots lined up but they all ended up a bit blurred.

what SS ?
  • Options
    UT ScottUT Scott Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
    Oh man, I know what you mean. I'm actually doing a night soccer game tonight. The lighting is terriable and the players move really fast (low shutter speed is not possible) not only that but you can't strobe soccer (not that I even have strobes or know how to use them ne_nau.gif).

104369603-M.jpg

That's about as sharp I could get the shot with a 70-200 2.8, and this is at a college staduim. I couldn't imagine what it would be like at high school headscratch.gif
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2006
    yes and no
    Yes and no on this point. The benefit to soccer is they're not wearing helmets so it is much easier to get a good facial exposure than in football. Of course the downside is the action is less predictable.

As long as you're filling the frame and not cropping (which often means you wait for the action to come to you) you can get very usable photos of soccer at night:
    97309627-M.jpg

97309281-M.jpg

97256791-M-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2006
    nice work John