Options

New to the business end....

KvPhotoKvPhoto Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
edited November 12, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business
I have been approached by several parents at the school I work at to take pictures of their kids for their holiday cards. I did a shoot for a good friend of mine, as a test drive so to speak. It took about an hour. I just am not sure how to figure out a price. Should I just charge by the hour and then offer a print package? I don't want to blow up the pricing too much given that my 'professional' experience is not there yet. :dunno

Thanks!

Kristina
www.kvtphotography.com

Comments

• Options
    edited November 11, 2006
    Wow, not one suggestion or word of advice.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2006
    Hi Kristina,

Well sometimes some of us miss a post or two. You did the right thing, replying, and thus bumping it, so we can see it!

There are many ways to skin this cat. Time + Prints? Package Deal? Little up front, pay more for the prints? Only you can decide.

Personally, my time is very valuable (I can't buy more of it).. so I charge a fee for my time, and then, depending on the client/job/other factors, I will charge X for each type of print, or perhaps Y for a CD of images. Lots of permutations!

Hopefully some others will chime in, too!
  • Options
    ire-davidire-david Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited November 12, 2006
    I personally charge a set sitting fee, then charge a set fee for different sized prints.

The sitting fee is fixed for travel and initial cost, such as doing up contact sheets etc, rather than time though, just so I'm not out of pocket if the customer decides they don't like the shot's, or more likely, only buy their favorite and leave you with a lot of unused portraits
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2006
    Thank you Thank you
    I have finally made a decision about my pricing.
    $125 for a one hour sitting at a remote location or at the cleints home. It also includes one of these options:
    One hundred 4x6 photos
    or
    one 8x10, four 5x7, sixteen wallets and two wallet sized magnets

Additional prints can be made for an additional fee.

I wanted to share with you the results of a recent shoot with my daughter
    109777489-S.jpg