Options

Shawn

AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
edited November 15, 2006 in People
A co-worker I photographed for an employee award. I think it's one of the better portraits I've captured. May I have your opinion and advice?

Comments

• Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2006
    I see two backgrounds - so I was drawn to the backgrounds first. I think the brick background would have been a great shot.

But good picture. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2006
    Hi Seneca. Thanks for the comment. After 76 hits I thought no one would bother to say anything.

You're right about the BG but the photo was used like this in the employee award...
  • Options
    AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2006
    Good picture....Great smile.........Cleaning up the background made a big difference.... Gary T.
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2006
    I love the second, cropped version MUCH more! She's got such a wonderful expression and she's so pretty, it's a shame ot have the background be so distracting!

Great shot!
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2006
    Suggestions
    A nice portrait, she has a lovely smile. However, I find the "hot shiny spots" on her face distracting, and the heavy shadow under her chin (from a flash?) unflattering.

I know sometimes you just have to use a flash, and bounce flash doesn't always work.

1. If you have to use a flash, stand about 5 - 7 feet from a light colored wall behind you, face your subject, but have the flash rotated behind you so it bounces off the wall behind you (if camera mounted). This gives a nice soft light -- discovered that accidently while shooting my grandson who doesn't like the bright flash in his eyes.

2. If shooting in the daylight indoors, nothing works better than light streaming in from a north facing window falling onto the subject. If shaded, west light works well too. You'll find beautiful soft lighting that is very flattering.

You might be able to bring in a backdrop to place behind the person to get rid of the window ledges, walls, etc. A bank of windows would work best, or perhaps if you have a glass lobby area.

I hope these suggestions help -- I'm not meaning to be critical at all.
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2006
    Dee wrote:
    1. If you have to use a flash, stand about 5 - 7 feet from a light colored wall behind you, face your subject, but have the flash rotated behind you so it bounces off the wall behind you (if camera mounted). This gives a nice soft light -- discovered that accidently while shooting my grandson who doesn't like the bright flash in his eyes.

I have GOT to try that out! Thanks for the tip!
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2006
    Azzaro wrote:
    Good picture....Great smile.........Cleaning up the background made a big difference.... Gary T.

Thanks Gary
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2006
    I love the second, cropped version MUCH more! She's got such a wonderful expression and she's so pretty, it's a shame ot have the background be so distracting!

Great shot!

Thanks Andi
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2006
    Dee wrote:
    A nice portrait, she has a lovely smile. However, I find the "hot shiny spots" on her face distracting, and the heavy shadow under her chin (from a flash?) unflattering.

I know sometimes you just have to use a flash, and bounce flash doesn't always work.

2. If shooting in the daylight indoors, nothing works better than light streaming in from a north facing window falling onto the subject. If shaded, west light works well too. You'll find beautiful soft lighting that is very flattering.

You might be able to bring in a backdrop to place behind the person to get rid of the window ledges, walls, etc. A bank of windows would work best, or perhaps if you have a glass lobby area.

I hope these suggestions help -- I'm not meaning to be critical at all.

Dee:

Thanks for taking time to offer up meaningful critique and suggestions. Looking at my own image through rose tinted glasses I hoped those issues weren't so bad.

This was shot in a loft-like building with lots of light streaming in from skylights above. I used a fill flash, dialed back -0.3, to compensate for the downcast shadow but I guess next time I'll have to set a better angle for the flash.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2006
    Hey Angelo,

Great capture of her smile, definitely.

Only two small comments/suggestions: I don't like that her hair is cut off on the left side (her right), and next time try and have them turn their body 20-30 degrees or so and then turn their head to look back at the camera.
    Chris
  • Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2006
    Angelo...great clean-up...looks much better. Good Jobthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2006
    ChrisJ wrote:
    Hey Angelo,

Great capture of her smile, definitely.

Only two small comments/suggestions: I don't like that her hair is cut off on the left side (her right), and next time try and have them turn their body 20-30 degrees or so and then turn their head to look back at the camera.

Hey Chris thanks for the comments.

I'm not making apologies but what I did here was follow Shawn around snapping a series of "candids" on the fly rather than have her pose. Of the 10 - 12 shots I took, this was the best and I had to run with it.

Next time I'll pay more attention to those little details that add so much to a good portrait.
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2006
    Seneca wrote:
    Angelo...great clean-up...looks much better. Good Jobthumb.gif

Thanks! :D
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,006 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2006
    you already have got some great advice here so just one thing ----ask for date eek7.gif:D
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2006
    Hi, Angelo
    Great photo with the tight crop.

Take Care,
    Charles Cassidy,
    http://www.modellocate.com/action/goto/uid=4447
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2006
    I have GOT to try that out! Thanks for the tip!

it works *really* well. I bounce this way almost all the time now...picked the trick up myself from watching a photog at a wedding reception. Sometimes dialing in some +FEV helps buoy the light in a dark environment.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers