Options

Southern CA beaches/waves?

ajgauthierajgauthier Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
edited November 12, 2006 in Location, Location, Location!
hi all,

I'll be near LA in November with my car and wanted to find some good beaches for wave/sunset/surfer photography. I'm looking for a location between LA and San Diego, and plan on hitting the Torrey Pines/La Jolla area for "wave on cliff/rocks" action.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm looking for huge surfable waves and I'm not familiar with CA beaches and where to go. Also --- does anyone know when the waves are the largest? Going in or out of high or low tide?

thanks!
Adrienne

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,907 moderator
    edited October 11, 2006
    While you're in San Diego, hit Blacks beach. If you want to know more about
    the waves, hit www.wavewatch.com or www.surfline.com. Both sites are
    geared towards surfers and give OK surf reports. Waves are generally
    better when the tide is changing. Don't forget to make some analysis of
    the lighting conditions. Here in Santa Cruz, morning and afternoon light will
    be difficult to shoot in (for example).

Bear in mind that there is no universally "epic" day for all spots. Different
    breaks work differently. That is, a more southerly swell might be best only
    for a few spots. Be prepared to drive and look around for what could be a
    great spot. You need to do some homework before heading out.

Good luck and look forward to your shots!
    Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2006
    If you're going to be a bit north in LA, check out Zuma. There's some rock climbing there, and some pretty good waves. For surfers, I don't know the name of the beach, but it's along the 101 heading towards Malibu along the coast. There's almost always some kind of surfer or group of surfers there. If I remember correctly, you can stand on one end and get them for dawn, and then stand on the other and get them at dusk. Like I said, I don't know the name, but it's pretty hard to miss (just before Duke's, I believe).
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2006
    The biggest waves will be at The Wedge in Newport Beach. The best waves will be at Trestles in San Clemente/Camp Pendelton (USMC). Trestles is the only spot in the continental US which is on the world surf tour. Not only is Trestles the best spot for surfing ... it is equally legendary in surfdom lore and still pristine.

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2006
    thanks!
    thanks for the idea locations and info! we'll see how the trip actually turns out (I-10 for 8 hours...)

Adrienne
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,907 moderator
    edited October 12, 2006
    Seefutlung wrote:
    The biggest waves will be at The Wedge in Newport Beach. The best waves will be at Trestles in San Clemente/Camp Pendelton (USMC). Trestles is the only spot in the continental US which is on the world surf tour. Not only is Trestles the best spot for surfing ... it is equally legendary in surfdom lore and still pristine.

Gary

Nah, Steamers is more legendary...it's the real "Surf City" :D

If you look through the surf rags, Trestles shows up regularly and looks
    like a great place to shoot from.

Gary, are there places in So Cal that you don't shoot at?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2006
    ajgauthier wrote:
    I'll be near LA in November with my car and wanted to find some good beaches for wave/sunset/surfer photography. I'm looking for a location between LA and San Diego, and plan on hitting the Torrey Pines/La Jolla area for "wave on cliff/rocks" action.

This would be a good place for a sunset or wave action with interesting architecture thrown in...

95446491-M-2.jpg

La Tour Tower at Victoria Street Beach, Laguna Beach, CA
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2006
    Very cool. Thanks for posting that. I've been thinking of heading down to Laguna Beach with the "new" Mamiya to shoot some. I just *knew" there was potential there. thumb.gif
  • Options
    thdizzythdizzy Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2006
    There is some good feedback here but the bottom line is it all depends on swell direction. Considering you will be here in November, chances are that any swell action will be from the North or North West.

So essentially that would open up most spots North of Palos Verdes and there about 100 spots to consider. Then you need to consider the absolute direction of the swell to avoid spots that might be blocked by the Channel Islands.

I could go on forever since I do spend a lot of time in the water. Most importantly be prepared since driving the So Cal coast can be horrible regarding traffic. So if your at one spot and it's not working, chances are you will loose light before you can get past a million cars on PCH to find another spot.

The best advice I can give is to check out www.surfline.com the night before you shoot to get a good idea of swell height and direction.

The shot below I got at River Mouth in Ventura County look closley and you can see the guy entering the "green room" -

file.jpg
    Todd Disraeli - Star, Idaho

Disraeli Photography

"Only when the last tree has died, the last river poisoned, and the last fish been caught will we realize we cannot eat money" Cree Indian Proverb
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2006
    Good things to know. Great shot, and an oh-so-very Hollywood pun (yes, I got it :D).
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2006
    Try Leo Carrillo or the beach across from Neptune's net
    Leo got the rocks, caves and always some surf action

100235591-O.jpg
  • Options
    thdizzythdizzy Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2006
    bfjr wrote:
    or the beach across from Neptune's net

Spot across from Neptunes is called County Line and it can be really good for surfers/sunset shots. And Benjamin is right, Leo can be great too except for the wind. However, because of the wind you might get a lot of kite/wind surfers there too.
    Todd Disraeli - Star, Idaho

Disraeli Photography

"Only when the last tree has died, the last river poisoned, and the last fish been caught will we realize we cannot eat money" Cree Indian Proverb
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2006
    thanks again!
    awesome - more good advice, thanks all! I do plan on checking out the surf sites, etc. to see the predictions the night before. I plan on starting out at first light. It will be a weekday, so maybe that'll help with beach traffic (but not traffic getting around LA...I'll be in Pasadena)

thanks! Hopefully I'll have something sweet to post after the trip.

Adrienne
  • Options
    LardogLardog Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited October 25, 2006
    San Diego area spots
    Since you will be in San Diego, along with La Jolla Cove area, be sure to check out Windansea. It is between Pacific Beach and La Jolla and is one of the most scenic beaches in the county and has really good waves too.

Also, Sunset Cliffs at Pt. Loma, as well as the lighthouse, are good photo destinations.
  • Options
    wlrivwlriv Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited October 25, 2006
    this probably isnt what youre looking for, but one of the more popular surf spots is just south of where sunset blvd meets pch. here is a link to photos i took this last weekend of my buddy surfing.

http://wlriv.smugmug.com/gallery/2033091
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    Nah, Steamers is more legendary...it's the real "Surf City" :D

If you look through the surf rags, Trestles shows up regularly and looks
    like a great place to shoot from.

Gary, are there places in So Cal that you don't shoot at?

Ian408 ... Laughing.gif ... what I haven't shot is scheduled ... just trying to get there ... SoCal is Photo Op City ... and California ... whew, what a place ... there is a theory that if the Europeans had landed on the West Coast instead of the East ... that the rest of North America would still be owned by the Native Americans.
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2006
    thanks again! lots of images to process now...
    hi again, and THANKS!

I was out in Malibu on Friday roaming around...since I was coming from Pasadena, I took Malibu Canyon down and ended up right on Zuma Beach and shot a few surfers and some waves (not terribly big though, but nice and roll-y over).

Then I travelled up to Leo Carillo, stopping at El Matador (BEA-UUUU-TIFUL!) where I took the majority of my shots. Leo Carillo didn't inspire me, but I stopped briefly across from Neptune's Net...too many surfers, not enough waves! I got some strange looks with the camera, and there were some real rude young surfers, so I left there and went all the way up PCH to the navel base before starting back down. Stopped every now and then, and made it back to El Matador for sunset. Unfortunately...so were about 10 other people with cameras and tripods...so I couldn't set up where I had scoped out earlier...and there was an engagement/wedding photo shoot there too and this guy was just pushy and getting in everyone's way (even though he showed up with the happy couple AFTER about 5 of us were set up)...anyhoot...I just moved myself up to above the beach and got some nice shots.

Thanks again for the suggestions, it helped me find a starting out place :)

I'll post the pics soon...(I used (3) 1 GB cards...gah! too many images!)

Adrienne