Nikon Lenses

bikehikerbikehiker Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
edited February 20, 2004 in Accessories
I'm in search of my first dslr, I'm leaning towards the d100 or the d70 if it arrives soon. My question is nikon has so many lenses, are the dx serries worth the extra $$ or of the d or g series which is preferred?

Comments

• GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2004
    bikehiker wrote:
    I'm in search of my first dslr, I'm leaning towards the d100 or the d70 if it arrives soon. My question is nikon has so many lenses, are the dx serries worth the extra $$ or of the d or g series which is preferred?
    First let me say that these are just my opinions, (and most posters here seem to be Canon users)

I have a D100 and I love it.

I have seen the specs posted for the D70 and it looks like it has almost the exact same specs with some small diferences and deserves a HARD look but it will not be available for another couple of months. I am told to expect it to be a lighter body and perhaps not quite as rugged as the D100.

I have not purchased any of the DX lenses, but if I were going to buy one it would be the "widest" I could afford. The 1.5 multiplier effect of the camera makes any affordable consumer grade lens more of a "normal" (24mm = 35mm). On the telephoto end the multiplier only gives you more glass for the buck and even the decent consumer zooms tend to only lose sharpness at the edges and corners. On a film camera this hurts but on a D100 the sensor is smaller than the film and is not recording these areas for the most part anyway.

I only buy D type lenses, but mostly because I still use my film body (N90) and it does not work (in anything but shutter priority and program I believe) with G lenses.

When the G lenses first came out they had a reputation for being "cheap" in both price and performance. (they were designed to work with the low end consumer film bodies) I am told the optics on the G lenses has improved considerably but would worry if I wasn't buying the latest model. Personaly I would not buy a used G lens.

I hope this helps and I hope to see another Nikon user posting pics soon. I am outnumbered but have been made to feel quite welcome here. You will too I am sure.
  • DeaconDeacon Registered Users Posts: 239 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2004
    Come on over to the Nikon side
    I too am committed or committable to Nikon, here are some sample shots using a D1x taken recently in Arizona, here is a shot of some local pottery and a link to the Smugmug site.

2235143-M.jpg

Arizona Redrock

Deacon
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2004
    Both Patch and Fish (I think) have Nikon lenses they might want to sell. I know Patch does, but he won't be back for another week or two. I'm not sure that Fish wants to sell his. As far as who's shooting what... that D70 looks awesome. Just when it looked like Canon was going to pull away with the Digital Rebel, Nikon fires back. Guess who the winners are? :D
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • bikehikerbikehiker Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited February 18, 2004
    I appreciate the advice, I was hoping to find a Nikon user among the rebel fans here. My self this will be my first slr and I plan to purchase by the end of the month, I thought I read somewhere in dpreview that there was a March release date for the D70. I believe I won't be disappointed with the sturdier const of the 100. and if there are lenses 4 sale out there I'd be intersted if anyone wants to email me.
  • cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2004
    bikehiker wrote:
    I appreciate the advice, I was hoping to find a Nikon user among the rebel fans here. My self this will be my first slr and I plan to purchase by the end of the month, I thought I read somewhere in dpreview that there was a March release date for the D70. I believe I won't be disappointed with the sturdier const of the 100. and if there are lenses 4 sale out there I'd be intersted if anyone wants to email me.
    I am kind of curious as to, why Nikon? Canon leads in the glass wars this decade and that is usually the deciding factor for folks without a prior investment in glass. Obviously you have made a decision based on what you read. Have you held any of the existing Nikon or Canon dslrs?
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • bikehikerbikehiker Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited February 19, 2004
    Actually I have at a local store. The Nikon seemed to be a better feel and sturdier construction. Even though I do a lot of hiking the difference in weight wasn't that much of a factor. The lens choices leaned me towards the rebel at first until I actually held them and I couldn't find a real complaint on the D100 other than cannon's over abundance of glass. Nikon doesn't seem to have a shortage of lenses so that was thrown out the window, to me. And since I'm not used to either style yet it seems like the better choice.
  • cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2004
    bikehiker wrote:
    Actually I have at a local store. The Nikon seemed to be a better feel and sturdier construction. Even though I do a lot of hiking the difference in weight wasn't that much of a factor. The lens choices leaned me towards the rebel at first until I actually held them and I couldn't find a real complaint on the D100 other than cannon's over abundance of glass. Nikon doesn't seem to have a shortage of lenses so that was thrown out the window, to me. And since I'm not used to either style yet it seems like the better choice.
    Thanks for the explanation. The 'hold in the hand' test is one of the most important.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Thanks for the explanation. The 'hold in the hand' test is one of the most important.
    Yup...that's one of the things that sold me on the 10D over the D100. Very subjective.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
    edited February 19, 2004
    That must explain my social life.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    edited February 19, 2004
    bikehiker wrote:
    and if there are lenses 4 sale out there I'd be intersted if anyone wants to email me.

You might want to send patch a Personal Message (just click on his name and his profile will come up, and one of the options is Send a Personal Message.)
    Sid.
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    You might want to send patch a Personal Message (just click on his name and his profile will come up, and one of the options is Send a Personal Message.)

I do have some Nikon lenses and other gear for sale. I will be listing it soon. I am out of town next week so I might wait until I return from it.