Options

WTB-- Good LOW LIGHT action photo lens

JCphotography.orgJCphotography.org Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited November 14, 2006 in Cameras
I am in need of a good LOW LIGHT action photo lens i am shooting with a canon 20D with a Tamron 28-300 Di f3.5 and a canon 580 flash. the places where I shoot have really crappy field lights.

OK
What do yall suggest?? What's for sale on here that I just "HAVE" to have???

can also reach me @ Josh@jcphotography.org:thumb

Comments

• Options
    GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
    I am in need of a good LOW LIGHT action photo lens i am shooting with a canon 20D with a Tamron 28-300 Di f3.5 and a canon 580 flash. the places where I shoot have really crappy field lights.

OK

can also reach me @ Josh@jcphotography.orgthumb.gif

Not to take anything away anything here at DG......but on FM there was a Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 for $1400!

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/471215

Can't get much faster than that! :D
    Dunno if your gonna gain a lot seeing yours is a f3.5 which is pretty fast already. ne_nau.gif
    But a stop or 2 gain IS a plus!!

Hope this helps your search? headscratch.gif

**** EDIT ****

Oh POOP.....forgive me....it's early AM here....it's for Nikon mount only!! DAMN

Need my coffee!! rolleyes1.gifne_nau.gif

Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
    Windoze was selling his 120-300/2.8 here. Don't know if it's still available.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    OlgaJOlgaJ Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006

OK

can also reach me @ Josh@jcphotography.orgthumb.gif

Look for a 85mm f/1.8. Not very expensive, but sharp and appropriate for indoor action. Another that works well for me is the 135L f/2.

Olga
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2006
    Not to take anything away anything here at DG......but on FM there was a Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 for $1400!

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/471215

Can't get much faster than that! :D
    Dunno if your gonna gain a lot seeing yours is a f3.5 which is pretty fast already. ne_nau.gif
    But a stop or 2 gain IS a plus!!

Hope this helps your search? headscratch.gif

**** EDIT ****

Oh POOP.....forgive me....it's early AM here....it's for Nikon mount only!! DAMN

Need my coffee!! rolleyes1.gifne_nau.gif

Yeah, saw that. It was so hard to not jump in on it, but I've just bought a bunch of other stuff and like having a roof to sleep under.

Pretty much for zooms you're looking for f2.8 (even most longer primes this is as fast as it gets).
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2006
    The best action lens ever was the Nikon 180/2.8. I saw your links and based on what you shoot I would say get the 50/1.4 and 135/2. They are a bit longer with your body and have the speed for night and a good shallow depth of field.
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2006
    thanks for the info
    Thanks for the info.

I am from the school of "Read the manual and then point and shoot" so I am learning as I go.

I REALLY like this site and will start coming here every day to read. I just shot the first round of the state play offs for football here in Arkansas last night. Have a LONG day of editing and uploading..

Thanks again. Please keep the imput coming. I am saving my $$$$ for the big purchase.

Josh RN
    JCphotography.org
  • Options
    photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2006
    curious....why the ".org" TLD if you are a for-profit photographer?
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2006
    I moved this thread, since you're not in the market for a specific lens, but are asking for advice about which lens to get. It's not really a Flea Market post. When you know what you want, go for it there, but ask your questions here.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2006
    .org
    The .com was taken. There are no real clasifications on actually haveing to have a non profit to be an "ORG".

So does anyone out there have one of these high speed low light lenses for sale??

Thanks
    Josh
  • Options
    PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2006
    If you can FIND one, it doesn't get any better then this:

http://www.wlcastleman.com/equip/reviews/200mm/index.htm

Of course it will set you back a big part of your bank account....
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited November 12, 2006
    OlgaJ wrote:
    Look for a 85mm f/1.8. Not very expensive, but sharp and appropriate for indoor action. Another that works well for me is the 135L f/2.

Olga
    Listen to Olga.

Another that is relatively inexpensive is the 200 f2.8 L

The 200 f1.8 L in NOT inexpensive.rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    RandySmugMugRandySmugMug Registered Users Posts: 1,651 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2006
    luckyrwe wrote:
    The best action lens ever was the Nikon 180/2.8. I saw your links and based on what you shoot I would say get the 50/1.4 and 135/2. They are a bit longer with your body and have the speed for night and a good shallow depth of field.

the 180 2.8 is a great lens but not for action...no afs
    the nikon 135/2 is also not afs

now the canon 135/2 usm is a great low light action lens
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2006
    I'm sorry if this was somehow answered already, but what sports are you wanting to shoot? This will make all the difference in the world.

For example an 85mm 1.8 lens is fantastic for action 10-15 feet away from you, but next to useless for football.

So, the right lens depends on the distances involved.

For what it's worth, on a 1.5 or 1.6 crop body you can expect 200mm lens to be good for about 25 yards and still retain sharp images - especially in low light. 300mm gets you about 40 yards and 400mm gets you about 50-60 yards (note this is BEFORE the crop factor).

So, while a 135mm lens is fantastic for low light action, realize you're not going to shoot players 40 yards from you with that lens and still be able to crop tightly and retain detail at high ISOs.