Ding Darling

David TaylorDavid Taylor Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
edited November 14, 2006 in Location, Location, Location!
Not being American and not having family here to be with at Thanksgiving, we are planning to spend the holiday on Sanibel Island. I'm guessing that anywhere within the DD NWR would be good for wildlife photo ops, but maybe someone would be prepared to divulge the dgrin 'special' hotspots :D
TIA

Comments

• HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2006
    Not being American and not having family here to be with at Thanksgiving, we are planning to spend the holiday on Sanibel Island. I'm guessing that anywhere within the DD NWR would be good for wildlife photo ops, but maybe someone would be prepared to divulge the dgrin 'special' hotspots :D
    TIA

Ding Darling is excellent and Corkscrew Swamp is another good location to shoot.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • David TaylorDavid Taylor Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    Ding Darling is excellent and Corkscrew Swamp is another good location to shoot.
    Thanks Harry. Probably won't get to Corkscrew this time around because I don't want to drive and would rather spend the time exploring DD.

What can I expect and am I too early for the migratory species?
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2006
    Thanks Harry. Probably won't get to Corkscrew this time around because I don't want to drive and would rather spend the time exploring DD.

What can I expect and am I too early for the migratory species?

Over here on the Atlantic side we are just beginning to get the migratory birds now so would expect tha you should have them over on the gulf side by November. I shot at Ding Darling in November, 94 during my workshop with ron Reznick and their was excellent activity there. All the heron and egret possibilities were there along with anhingas, spoonbills, ospreys, ibis, white & brown pelicans, wading birds, etc.

Also go down to th beach at sunrise or sunset. The light is fantatsic and there are lots of egrets and herons hanging out by the spots where folks fish, They usually are very approachable because humans feed them and they don't have the usual wariness of humans.

37226901.jpg
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited October 19, 2006
    clap.giffor the tips, Harry. That's just what I wanted to hear. mwink.gif
  • lfortierlfortier Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2006
    Ding Darling
    Bring your longest lens and your tripod!

It's 5 bucks per car per trip through. If you're like me, you'll go through morning AND evening. That means you should buy a one year pass for 15 bucks. It's good for 13 months.

The wildlife drive is CLOSED on Fridays.

Be there at 7:30 AM when it opens.

Drive slooowly and watch the edges of the road. You never know when you might spy a gator in the water.

Stop and get out at each bridge. The birds feed there.

Get out at the cross dike and take a walk down the trail. There's often something in the water (on both sides).

In the eveing you can often find spoonbills on the right shortly after the cross dike.

Bring bug spray with DEET!!! You don't always need but if you need it, you really need it. (Usually at night).

If you've got time, there's a pond on the beach in front of the Holiday Inn at Fort Myers Beach. Big birding spot!

Enjoy your trip.
    edited November 14, 2006
    clap.gif Thnx lfortier. All great tips. We arrive there Sunday, can't wait.