Options

Butterfly

ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
edited December 20, 2004 in Wildlife
Got this sitting near the bay, it came and landed right in front of me, what else could I do? :)

12782578-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited December 20, 2004
    Nice Ed thumb.gif It's a tossup as to which is prettier. The monarch or the little purple flower. Both are very nice to look at.

That guy was probably on his way to the beach. Either Santa Cruz or Pacific Grove, to winter over in one of the Eucalyptus groves there. 2005 is the year I finally hope to get some good pics of the monarch "clusters" at Natural Bridges. They cluster together by the hundreds (thousands), in the grove (to keep warm?) and they make for a great shot. The only problem is that they're about 60 feet off the ground and the backlighting makes for a tough exposure. I've tried many times using 200mm and a strong flash, and no joy :cry This time I plan on using either the 70-200mm Sigma or the Bigma and the EX580 (maybe even with a Better Beamer).

http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/541/files/NaturalBridges.pdf

You probably already knew all this, already....lol If so, sorry to bore you with it. Hey, what can I say? I'm just a boring kinda guy mwink.gif

Thanks for sharing,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2004
    Nice Ed thumb.gif It's a tossup as to which is prettier. The monarch or the little purple flower. Both are very nice to look at.

That guy was probably on his way to the beach. Either Santa Cruz or Pacific Grove, to winter over in one of the Eucalyptus groves there. 2005 is the year I finally hope to get some good pics of the monarch "clusters" at Natural Bridges. They cluster together by the hundreds (thousands), in the grove (to keep warm?) and they make for a great shot. The only problem is that they're about 60 feet off the ground and the backlighting makes for a tough exposure. I've tried many times using 200mm and a strong flash, and no joy :cry This time I plan on using either the 70-200mm Sigma or the Bigma and the EX580 (maybe even with a Better Beamer).

http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/541/files/NaturalBridges.pdf

You probably already knew all this, already....lol If so, sorry to bore you with it. Hey, what can I say? I'm just a boring kinda guy mwink.gif

Thanks for sharing,
    Steve
    Actually Steve, I didn't know. Sounds like a road trip in the making, I'm only a little over a couple of hours away from Santa Cruz. Sounds like fun