Options

Anything else i need here for off camera flash ?

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited November 17, 2006 in Accessories
Am ringing B&H in the morning to order some gear (hope they do O/S visa)

All i want is a cheap off camera bracket & a flash cord for 30D & 430 speedlite. Is this all i need here & here ?

Maybe this is a better option for the flash bracket ? (looks too large to me actually)

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2006
    Well it looks like that is all you need to get flash off camera.... for less than that cord there was a seller on ebay doing raido transmitter and reciever for $20.00 + s/h.....

Curious how that Delta works out for you.

Let us know please....Good luck with B/H and the OS visa.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited November 16, 2006
    Art Scott wrote:
    Well it looks like that is all you need to get flash off camera.... for less than that cord there was a seller on ebay doing raido transmitter and reciever for $20.00 + s/h.....

Curious how that Delta works out for you.

Let us know please....Good luck with B/H and the OS visa.
    Thanks Art..im just looking for the basics atm for the xmas season & then on to tx etc later. Just wanted to make sure that i didnt need any other small bits as its a bit for postage.

Ta mate
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2006
    gus wrote:
    Thanks Art..im just looking for the basics atm for the xmas season & then on to tx etc later. Just wanted to make sure that i didnt need any other small bits as its a bit for postage.

Ta mate

Completely understand..have had cameras and other goodies shipped to me from....well OZ, Ukraine and Russia...so I understand.

That did look likeall you need .... of course I am going off experience with Nikon and Konica Minolta...not Canon (for the moment):D
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2006
    One thing to be careful of: The end that will be mounting in the metal shoe of the bracket - the flanges tend to be somewhat fragil. So, flipping the flash around in a hurry is probably not something you want to do very often. The cord will withstand gentle handling, but I don't think it's super robust.

What I have seen that works quite well are those brackets that just have the 1/4 hole drilled into them. You then mount the flash-receiving end of the cord directly to the bracket arm with the thumb-screw bolt that comes with the cord.
  • Options
    AntoineDAntoineD Registered Users Posts: 393 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2006
    You can also buy the canon cord only and rely on your hand to manage the flash :D

That's what I do.

Anyway, those Delta bracket I didn't know, it seems quite nice thumb.gif
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2006
    Thanks for the advice guys. Just tried to get through to them (5am here atm) & their msg...'for blah blah please press 6' is not working as i just keep getting an 'invalid option msg'. To me it appears our phones dont recognise the different accent headscratch.gif

I can fax my cc details through but seriously i dont like the idea of faxing such info into oblivion. I will email them for another option.
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2006
    gus wrote:
    Thanks for the advice guys. Just tried to get through to them (5am here atm) & their msg...'for blah blah please press 6' is not working as i just keep getting an 'invalid option msg'. To me it appears our phones dont recognise the different accent headscratch.gif

I can fax my cc details through but seriously i dont like the idea of faxing such info into oblivion. I will email them for another option.
    I'm missing something I think, why not order online?
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2006
    ivar wrote:
    I'm missing something I think, why not order online?
    If you read their speel they say (as i mentioned above) that you need to fax your CC details through for a first purchase.
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2006
    gus wrote:
    If you read their speel they say (as i mentioned above) that you need to fax your CC details through for a first purchase.
    blegh.... missed that.... not very user friendly if you ask me.
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2006
    So you cant email them at all without some order number...i cant ring them & just got off the line with that chat system & was told that no matter what...they want a copy of my CC details along with a copy of my sig. Talk about hard to buy from. I'll try andromeda etc.

It will be a cold day in hell when i send CC details along with copy of my signature to an O/S phone number.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2006
    The two Delta brackets are out of stock, anyway, Gus.

I'd be happy to place the order for you, and you can send me payment, like you did for your glacier deposit.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    The two Delta brackets are out of stock, anyway, Gus.

I'd be happy to place the order for you, and you can send me payment, like you did for your glacier deposit.
    Thanks greatly mate but no thanks.

If my money isnt good enough from here then i dont reward companys with my money from a different direction. At least newegg just say.."no we dont ship O/S" I know were i stand then straigh up front from the start...good biz practise but to try & get a customer to jump through hoops tells me that they dont need outside money.
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2006
    Anyone know of another rep US company that sells this type of gear on-line please ? I cant find it in 0z.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2006
    you could try samys.com
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2006
    gus wrote:
    So you cant email them at all without some order number...i cant ring them & just got off the line with that chat system & was told that no matter what...they want a copy of my CC details along with a copy of my sig. Talk about hard to buy from. I'll try andromeda etc.

It will be a cold day in hell when i send CC details along with copy of my signature to an O/S phone number.

I emailed b&h a photo of the front and back of my credit card. It isn't ideal but once they received the email I have been able to order from them online. It was easier than faxing details. hth,

Shay.
  • Options
    AntoineDAntoineD Registered Users Posts: 393 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2006
    gus wrote:
    Seamus wrote:
    I emailed b&h a photo of the front and back of my credit card. It isn't ideal but once they received the email I have been able to order from them online. It was easier than faxing details. hth,

I did that, too thumb.gif

There's even a secured uploader on their website for your card copy, as far as I know.

I've ordered a few times from b&h and that's all always a great pleasure to deal with them thumb.gif
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2006
    Gus, I'm after that Delta bracket as well (been trying to get one for about 3 mths). It's very popular with macro photogs.

No-one other than B&H seems to sell it, but an importer here in SA is trying to get one for me.
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2006
    Seamus wrote:

Shay.

Ideal is far from it mate. I will go elsewhere thanks for my money. Easy is just placing an order & paying with CC like 99% of biz online.
  • Options
    douglasdouglas Registered Users Posts: 696 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2006
    If i were using a setup like this i would use ball bungees or something simalar on each end of sync cord to fasten it to flash bracket. Place them near the conectors but with some slack so theres room for some give, your sync cord should last alot longer that way.
    Best regards,
    douglas
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2006
    douglas wrote:
    If i were using a setup like this i would use ball bungees or something simalar on each end of sync cord to fasten it to flash bracket. Place them near the conectors but with some slack so theres room for some give, your sync cord should last alot longer that way.
    Ok tks mate...i will give it a try once i get the gear.
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2006
    Nup...the other USA companies want the same sooo its back to ebay.