Options

Looking for Photo Packaging

photofreakphotofreak Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
edited November 18, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business
Mandi :shay
www.mandraleephotography.com

Life is a compromise of what your ego wants to do, what experience tells you to do, and what your nerves let you do.

Comments

• Options
    edited July 31, 2006
    photofreak wrote:
    Perhaps no responses because most of you order through smugmug...anyway, found it on my own.

Life is a compromise of what your ego wants to do, what experience tells you to do, and what your nerves let you do.
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2006
    Could be no response because I am not sure what you mean by photo packaging? But yes, I order from Smugmug.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2006
    JimM wrote:
    Could be no response because I am not sure what you mean by photo packaging? But yes, I order from Smugmug.

Photo packaging as in...nice envelopes, boxes, tissues, etc. Like what you receive your photos in from a studio.
    I don't order my photos through smugmug....after placing the post, I thought perhaps, it wasn't the best place to ask, as many smugmuggers use smugmug for prints.
    I'm learning...it may take a bit longer for me...but, I'm learning.
    Thank you, for taking the time to respond.
    Mandi

• Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2006
    I am sure there are many people on this forum that can offer good advice as to this. Just not me. I really like having Smugmug do the heavy lifting for me (the order taking and processing).
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2006
    JimM wrote:
    I am sure there are many people on this forum that can offer good advice as to this. Just not me. I really like having Smugmug do the heavy lifting for me (the order taking and processing).
    Thank you, Jim for taking the time to reply...I appreciate that.

My understanding, is the photos are sent directly to the customer from Smugmug...I'm far too much of a control freak to allow that. I have to look the photos over before placing them in the customers hands...would never even entertain the idea of someone else doing all that. I know....delegate, delegate, delegate...having a hard time letting go of a few things...
    Yes, I know...I have issues
    No one else has replied:cry so, I went to the back of my Rangefinder...found some there. Just wanted some feedback on a good reputable place from someone here...oh well...
    Mandi

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2006
    photofreak wrote:
    Thank you, Jim for taking the time to reply...I appreciate that.

My understanding, is the photos are sent directly to the customer from Smugmug...I'm far too much of a control freak to allow that. I have to look the photos over before placing them in the customers hands...would never even entertain the idea of someone else doing all that. I know....delegate, delegate, delegate...having a hard time letting go of a few things...
    Yes, I know...I have issues
    No one else has replied:cry so, I went to the back of my Rangefinder...found some there. Just wanted some feedback on a good reputable place from someone here...oh well...
    Mandi

Hi Mandi,

I think folks were confused by the blank first post maybe.
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Mandi,

I think folks were confused by the blank first post maybe.

It wasn't blank at frist, Andy. I explained what I was looking for...realized many of you have your customers order through smumug( I went in and tried to delete it)-thus, no need for photo packaging...my mistake for asking here...found it on my own.:D
    Mandi

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2006
    photofreak wrote:
    It wasn't blank at frist, Andy. I explained what I was looking for...realized many of you have your customers order through smumug( I went in and tried to delete it)-thus, no need for photo packaging...my mistake for asking here...found it on my own.:D
    Mandi
    I hope it's not a mistake - this is the Pro Forum, for *any* pro requests or questions, about how we run our businesses. No, for sure not a mistake. I'm glad you posted!
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    I hope it's not a mistake - this is the Pro Forum, for *any* pro requests or questions, about how we run our businesses. No, for sure not a mistake. I'm glad you posted!
    Thank you, Andy.

• Options
    CreativeLoafingCreativeLoafing Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 17, 2006
    First post, so excuse my naivety but I am very curious how to approach packaging my work. From reading this thread I get the impression that those who use smugmug are less concerned with the packaging being customized or personally branded. Has anyone got any feedback from customers on this or has anyone tried packaging themselves and decided to instead outsource. Any feedback is much appreciated.
  • Options
    BakatBakat Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2006
    I'm kind of an art snob and really dislike the classic "photo studio" presentations that are available all over the web.

I go to the local art store, purchase acid free handmade paper, rip it into the "folder-ish" shape that I want (leaving those nice crinkly edges), fold it to envelope the package, place the whole thing in co-ordinating two toned tissue paper and tie the whole thing off with some type of organic ribbon.

I'm not terribly concerned with paying extra to have my name imprinted in gold on one of those stock folders because I figure if my work is good enough my client will remember who I am.

But that's just my weird way....
    Kat
    "Photography is not a sport. It has no rules"
    Bill Brandt
  • Options
    AntoineDAntoineD Registered Users Posts: 393 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2006
    Bakat wrote:
    I'm kind of an art snob and really dislike the classic "photo studio" presentations that are available all over the web.

I go to the local art store, purchase acid free handmade paper, rip it into the "folder-ish" shape that I want (leaving those nice crinkly edges), fold it to envelope the package, place the whole thing in co-ordinating two toned tissue paper and tie the whole thing off with some type of organic ribbon.

I'm not terribly concerned with paying extra to have my name imprinted in gold on one of those stock folders because I figure if my work is good enough my client will remember who I am.

But that's just my weird way....
    Kat

I kind of think that way, thinking my clients will always remember me :D but I believe that's always good to have my adress printed somewhere. thumb.gif
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2006
    For clear photo bags and boxes for cards, etc. try Photographers Edge. They have added large bags to their inventory. They also have some matting accessories.

http://www.photographersedge.com/

I like the art store paper suggestion - sounds really beautiful, but possibly expensive.

ann