Options

Camera Straps

dakar92dakar92 Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
edited November 28, 2006 in Accessories
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good camera neck strap for a dSLR (specifically the Canon 10D)? I'm using the one that came with the camera and I guess it's ok, but I can't help thinking that there must be something better out there. (You GS riders out there know all about that feeling of, "This seems ok, but...)

As long as we're talking about straps, how about a strap for a tripod? I still haven't figured out a good way to carry that thing around. FWIW, I have the Slik 700 DX.

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited February 17, 2004
    dakar92 wrote:
    Does anyone have a recommendation for a good camera neck strap for a dSLR (specifically the Canon 10D)? I'm using the one that came with the camera and I guess it's ok, but I can't help thinking that there must be something better out there. (You GS riders out there know all about that feeling of, "This seems ok, but...)

As long as we're talking about straps, how about a strap for a tripod? I still haven't figured out a good way to carry that thing around. FWIW, I have the Slik 700 DX.
    I use the strap that came with the 10D - seems to hold up since last August and over 5000 frames -

Lowe Pro back packs are set up tp carry a tripod on the outside of the pack - go to their website http://www.lowepro.com/pages/byStyle/backpack.htm and check it out

It is easier to see at their website than to explain it - I knew there was a folding pocket on the outside back of my pack - but it was upside down and I thought very wierd - but it unfolds and makes a pocket to put the legs of the tripod into and then there are two sets of straps to tie the tripod down - so the tripod is vertical behind the backpack - kind of like an ice ax or x country skis.

The Lowe Pro site has quite a bit of information - I am sure Tenba has a similar kind of thing too.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited February 17, 2004
    dakar92 wrote:
    Tie wraps and duct tape (go ahead, laugh). At the top and bottom of the
    first section of the leg, wrap a couple of turns of duct tape. Place a tie wrap
    through the clip and tighten 'er up (over the duct tape) Trim the excess wrap
    but be careful as they are sharp.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2004
    I've got a Tamrac N-35 neck strap that I really like. It's comfortable without being bulky.
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2004
    Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I really like the LowePro backpack idea for carrying a tripod. Now if I can figure out how to carry the tripod on the motorcycle, I'll be set.
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    I've got a Tamrac N-35 neck strap that I really like. It's comfortable without being bulky.
    I've got the N-45. Nice to be able to unclip the strap when it's on the tripod.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2004
    dakar92 wrote:
    Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I really like the LowePro backpack idea for carrying a tripod. Now if I can figure out how to carry the tripod on the motorcycle, I'll be set.
    I strap mine across the Top of the Line rack (I have one on both bikes). Piece of cake.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2004
    dakar92 wrote:

I have a topbox. I'm using a tripod that folds to about 20" and fits in the topbox. It extends to around 60", which is plenty. However, when I upgrade to a heavier camera, the search will begin anew for a tripod that folds small and extends to a sufficient height. I insist on having it inside the luggage. That way I can always have it on the bike, ready when needed, and not worry about it being stolen.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2004
    fish wrote:
    I strap mine across the Top of the Line rack (I have one on both bikes). Piece of cake.
    This is the way I was figuring on going although I was leaning towards the BestRest Model T (it's for an Adventure with Jesse bags). Damn, that's another thing I'll have to buy now. Now I'll just head over to ADVrider and start the 486th thread on the best straps to buy.
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2004
    fish wrote:
    This is the type of strap I was thinking about. It seems like a quick release would be a good idea when using a tripod and maybe even in some other situations. The Tamrac straps look nice and I was also looking at the OpTech straps.
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2004
    dakar92 wrote:
    . Now I'll just head over to ADVrider and start the 486th thread on the best straps to buy.
    Save yourself some time, and go buy some H2W straps. Get 'em long enough to strap your H2W bags when you get them. In fact, I'll bet Helen's even got a bag that would fit your tripod...like the Kermit bag (just a guess).

product_straps.GIF
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2004
    dakar92 wrote:
    This is the type of strap I was thinking about. It seems like a quick release would be a good idea when using a tripod and maybe even in some other situations. The Tamrac straps look nice and I was also looking at the OpTech straps.
    A quick release is an invitation to theft on the road and a point of weakness when carrying the camera. Course I have to admit that my strap is only around my neck when I am changing lenses or batteries. Otherwise the strap is wound around the camera and my hand in such a way that it is impossible for the camera to be dropped or snatched even if I spread my fingers.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    paige1paige1 Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited February 21, 2005
    Tamrac N-35 camera Strap
    I purchased a Tamrac N-35 to use with my Olympus C-5050Z because it's the longest camera strap I could find. The advantage is that I carry the C-5050 in a camera case that fits on my belt. The N-35 allows me to have the camera strap around my neck and the camera in the case, keeping it secure, ready and no weight/pull around my neck. I'm getting ready to purchase another N-35 for my Canon 10D.thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2005
    dakar92 wrote:
    Funny this thread should pop back up. I no longer use the Tamrac and am now using an Op/Tech Pro Loop strap (when I use one). Makes a BIG difference with a long, heavy lens.

As far as toting tripods, I don't have a strap yet, but when i get one, it'll probably be the Op/Tech Tripod Strap.

Good stuff!
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2005
    I use this:

noose.gif
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2005
    dakar92 wrote:
    This is the way I was figuring on going although I was leaning towards the BestRest Model T (it's for an Adventure with Jesse bags). Damn, that's another thing I'll have to buy now. Now I'll just head over to ADVrider and start the 486th thread on the best straps to buy.
    I'll save you the trouble. ROC straps.

I'm with Sid on keeping gear "inside". I picked up a shorty tripod that will fit
    in either the system cases or jesse's.

Ian
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2005
    fish wrote:
    Save yourself some time, and go buy some H2W straps. Get 'em long enough to strap your H2W bags when you get them. In fact, I'll bet Helen's even got a bag that would fit your tripod...like the Kermit bag (just a guess).
    I bought a set of H2W's straps in Spokane and the D-rings are warped leading
    me to believe they'll break at the most inopportune time :D

Ian
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    I bought a set of H2W's straps in Spokane and the D-rings are warped leading
    me to believe they'll break at the most inopportune time :D

Ian

odd...i've been using those straps for years with no issues.
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2005
    fish wrote:
    odd...i've been using those straps for years with no issues.
    That's why I got them. Everybody raves about them and truthfully, I like
    the way they work. But the bent D rings are no good.

Ian
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    That's why I got them. Everybody raves about them and truthfully, I like
    the way they work. But the bent D rings are no good.

Ian

Knowing Helen, if you send her a note about it, she'll probably send you some new straps.
  • Options
    REECEPHOTOREECEPHOTO Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2005
    Funny this thread should pop back up. I no longer use the Tamrac and am now using an Op/Tech Pro Loop strap (when I use one). Makes a BIG difference with a long, heavy lens.

As far as toting tripods, I don't have a strap yet, but when i get one, it'll probably be the Op/Tech Tripod Strap.

Good stuff!
    (What Fish said).
    I use the opTech for my camera and my tripod. Love both of them. They really help with the weight. Your neck and sholders will thank you.
    It's not the speed that'll kill ya
    It's the sudden stops!
    http://reecephoto.smugmug.com
    http://www.danasoft.com/sig/JeffReece.jepg
    src="http//www.danasoft.com/sig/JeffReece.jpg">
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2005
    Looks very comfortable. I guess you have to pay a price for everything, tho. That wide strap's great for slinging around a large lens and heavy camera. But many times I shoot with the strap wrapped around my hand a few times, for security, especially in portrait orientation. That strap's too wide to allow it. :cry
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Looks very comfortable. I guess you have to pay a price for everything, tho. That wide strap's great for slinging around a large lens and heavy camera. But many times I shoot with the strap wrapped around my hand a few times, for security, especially in portrait orientation. That strap's too wide to allow it. :cry
    I use the strap-around-the-hand too. For a heavy lens, you probably don't
    want to use the camera strap--by heavy, I mean 300 or 500 big.

Looked at the OpTech and decided to stick with the stock strap
    for both cameras. Even with the 70-200 slung, the stock is alright.

Ian
  • Options
    MarcMarc Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited November 21, 2006
    fish wrote:

Good stuff!
    Who says you can't find good stuff when using the search function? ear.gif

I just ordered one of the OP/Tech Pro Loop straps for my beast of a camera. Thanks for the valuable ancient history lesson! thumb.gif

BTW - who (or what) is this "fish"??? headscratch.gif

abe-vigoda.jpg
  • Options
    MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2006
    shhh....
    We never talk of the Ancient One's at dgrin...especially former Master's of the Dark Side...bowdown.gif

Just let it go...
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • Options
    NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2006
    cletus wrote:
    fish wrote:
    Ditto, I think mine is the N-45 as it has a brown padded section. I also especially like the quick-releases. Very nice when mounting to a tripod. I have one for each of my cameras..

I've never found the quick releases to be a problem. They are very sturdy.

I too wrap the strap 'round the hand, and the Tamrac works well that way.
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2006
    I just noticed that pac-safe has a decent looking camera strap out. I'm just not sure the anti-theft benefit is worth having a steel wire looped around my neck.
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2006
    cletus wrote:
    I just noticed that pac-safe has a decent looking camera strap out. I'm just not sure the anti-theft benefit is worth having a steel wire looped around my neck.

I can recommend the Tamrac camera strap. Its made of nice leather
    and doesnt cut your neck like the default manuf. camera straps. At
    a plus it doesnt have any "steal my digital canon slr" writing on it.

/me likes responding to ancients threads :D
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston