Options

Help selling larger prints.....ideas?

MichaelKirkMichaelKirk Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
edited November 21, 2006 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Not sure this is the right palce for this, but does anyone have any suggestion of how to increase sales for larger than 4x6 prints.

Right now I offer 4x6 prints, 8x12 and up. Trying to find a way to generate some sales of larger prints without giving them away.

Michael

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2006
    Not sure this is the right palce for this, but does anyone have any suggestion of how to increase sales for larger than 4x6 prints.

Right now I offer 4x6 prints, 8x12 and up. Trying to find a way to generate some sales of larger prints without giving them away.

Michael
    Tell us more about what you photograph, who your market is, too.
  • Options
    MichaelKirkMichaelKirk Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2006
    Right now....
    Right now my main focus is on Sports Photography - Bicycle Racing
    http://www.mlkimages.smugmug.com/2006%20Sports
    But again I just started selling photos in Early October so I have not expanded much beyond my comfort zone - meaning I'm there racing so I shoot photographs as well.

I am trying new marketing ideas to offer other services...I will focus more on those over the winter when there is no racing.

I have been getting a little traffic on 4x6's and low res downloads - and some interest from a few commercial accounts (manufacture brochures).

At each race I set up a small table with some sample photographs. I have 3 - 23x30 frames that I have matted 4 - 8x12 photos in each (12 photos total) showing the quality of the larger prints.....but still no sales on the large prints.

Should I offer a end of year special? Again I hate to discount a product unless this is the way to increase sales.

Let me know if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks
    Michael

Andy wrote:
    Tell us more about what you photograph, who your market is, too.
  • Options
    pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2006
    Sports posters seem to be the ticket to move larger prints, e.g., 20- x 30-inch. Search in the sports section on this site (or on FredMiranda.com) for examples as this is a topic that comes up fairly frequently there. It definitely seems to be a big business generator and you'll find a lot of people shifting their focus to this market. Good luck.

[all of the above in context to sports photography, not fine art prints, etc... just in case it needed to be said]