Cool stuff; you take "artsy" seriously, eh? thumb.gificon10.gif

How ya doin' Damon? Youre in D.C. now? Get that G5 yet? naughty.gif
    He who throws dirt, loses ground...
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2004
    Cool stuff; you take "artsy" seriously, eh? thumb.gificon10.gif

How ya doin' Damon? Youre in D.C. now? Get that G5 yet? naughty.gif
    Thanks! No G5 yet, still using the old Powerbook G4...
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2004
    Like the colours and mood of the first one, looks like they're hiding in the papers!
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    Like the colours and mood of the first one, looks like they're hiding in the papers!
    Yeah, like they're trying to get as much news as possible!
  • Options
    MainFraggerMainFragger Registered Users Posts: 563 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2004
    Trains...
    Nice images...now we just need Vincent Schiaverelli to show up and scream, "Get off my Traaaaaiiiiin!"

MainFragger
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2004
    Nice images...now we just need Vincent Schiaverelli to show up and scream, "Get off my Traaaaaiiiiin!"

MainFragger

who's Vincent Schiaverelli??
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2004
    These are very dramatic and interesting. I especially like the hat. Really good use of wide angle.

Here is a technical issue. All three have a lot of out-of-gamut areas. (Use view->gamut warnings in PS.) It's taken me longer than it should have, but I've discovered that when these exist your images often will look different and wrong in various browsers, os's, and monitors. And they will never print the way you think they should. It is very easy to correct this: move the image in and out of the CMYK colorspace. PS will do the best it can to preserve the look of the image while bringing it into gamut for printing. You might prefer the look of the out-of-gamut version on your monitor in your program and os, but sadly, that just isn't what other people are likely to see.

Besides being way out of gamut, the first image is very yellow. Look at the image in LAB, bring up the curves box, switch to the B curve and click on various places. It's almost into imaginary color territory. I tried backing off the yellow side of the B curve a little and flattening the A curve a little and got this:

13003066-L.jpg

It's a lot more understated than you image and maybe you really want that high saturation. For me, I think the composition and subject matter is interesting enough to work without the very bright yellow. I think this version will print much better. You could try for someting in between if you want the saturation but also want something that will print without making a mess.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2004
    damonff wrote:
    I wasn't sure, so I googled to cjeck and found out he's the [size=-1]Subway Ghost, who teaches newly dead Patrick Swayze how to move solid objects with sheer "hate power" in "Ghost"[/size]
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2004
    Good info Rutt...I printed the subway/newspaper one the other day at Ritz and it looked pretty cool...I do like that contrasty look but I'll try that LAB thing when I'm finally off from school (tomorrow...tomorrow)...

I like the red hat one too. I printed that one as well and it looks pretty good. I noticed that all of my stuff looks different at school on their pc monitors. What I see on my Powerbook is almost exactly what prints at Ritz. For some reason, their quality has been right on with me...no colour issues at all. Maybe when I finally get a decent printer at home and I have to print myself this will all come into play. Gamut...to tell you the truth, I do almost everything by feel - I rarely check anything for proper colour or anything like that. I shoot what I see that I think will translate in an interesting way on a frame, and when I post-process, I add a little feeling to it whether it be the contrasty b/ws, extreme colourings, or whatever...I'm a feel guy. Maybe my stuff can be kicked up a notch by being more technical, I don't know. I'll try...

Thanks for the insight Rutt. I can always count on you for exceptional, useful criticism.
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    I wasn't sure, so I googled to cjeck and found out he's the [size=-1]Subway Ghost, who teaches newly dead Patrick Swayze how to move solid objects with sheer "hate power" in "Ghost"[/size]
    hahahaha!!
  • Options
    MainFraggerMainFragger Registered Users Posts: 563 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2004
    damonff wrote:
    Vincent Schiaverelli is an actor that has been around forever. He was in bad 70 and 80's UFO and Sci-Fi movies. For most of his early career, had had little or no lines..he just looked creepy.

In later years, he started to get some better parts, including Ghost, A bond film, A spot on X-Files, Death to Smoochy, and even having his own cooking show on PBS (briefly).

MainFragger