Options

Hard drive failure (again) - make backups!

Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
edited November 23, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business
So here I am in the midst of a heap of fall work to process. And my data drive decides now would be a good time to up and die on me. I went to my backup data drive and it too was dead. Fortuneately, they died the morning after I had just finished and uploaded two book designs to be printed. I lost my master design files, but should be able to get the uploaded files sent back to me for future use so I don't have to remake them if another order comes in later.

I also had two shoots (one wedding and one engagement) that I have not been able to start processing yet. But, I had backed that data up on DVD's as soon as they were loaded on the computer after the shoots. So all it requires of me is to load them back to the computer and start work on them.

Had I not backed up that data right away, I would have lost the whole shebang. So this is a plea to anyone out there who has irreplacable data not backed up in some way to please take the time to do so. Hard drives fail, and usually when you can least afford it to happen. My fortunes with hard drives this year has been abysmal. Let this be a warning to all!

Back it up!!!
Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
"Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2006
    Mate you convinced me...i just did my concert photosa 5 mins ago. I never back anything up & you would cringe how i treat my computer...i did a de-frag the other month..first one in a year.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,190 moderator
    edited November 22, 2006
    Only had one drive in 20+ years go out on me, so I'm due to lose about a dozen in the next year mwink.gif .

No CF card gets reformatted until DVD's are made of the images. In fact, I don't even burn the DVD's on my computer. They're done with one of those Roadstor like thingies (very slow), and only then do I copy the card contents to the HD's. I also rotate cards and erase the contents at a later date.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2006
    Music to my ears :Dclap.gif
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,190 moderator
    edited November 22, 2006
    Music to my ears :Dclap.gif

Right, but ask me if I have a backup of C: drive rolleyes1.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    AntoineDAntoineD Registered Users Posts: 393 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2006
    So here I am in the midst of a heap of fall work to process. And my data drive decides now would be a good time to up and die on me. I went to my backup data drive and it too was dead.

…both drives dead?! eek7.gif
    not much luck…

Of course, I agree about the backup thing. thumb.gif
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
  • Options
    lifesdisciplelifesdisciple Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2006
    I back up everything to my external hard drive and then burn what i consider to be extrememly valuable to me to dvd discs. I am an internet pirate and because of this my hard drive tends to get abused. I have lost too much stuff too many times. so if not yours, learn from my mistakes. Back up. :D

Michael - Life's Disciple

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

www.lifesdisciple.com
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2006
    don't forget that such things as CDs or DVDs have a short life cycle, often between 5 and 10 years.

I remember trying to read some 5 years old cds… wow. eek7.gif
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2006
    Shay, any chance these were laptop or notebook hard drives? I have been toasting a lot of them too lately. I think photo processing and copying gigs from CF cards move a lot of data to the hard drives. IMHO these laptops were not designed for this hard use of the hd's and these things generate heat. The overheat then damages the drives. Just my experiences, but I have learned not to trust notebook harddrives for photo uses and am actually considering drilling some extra holes in the notebook to allow for more cooling.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2006
    JimM wrote:
    I am actually drilling some extra holes in the notebook to allow for more cooling.

I wonder how much I could charge my clients to put holes in their $1500.00 laptops and tell them it was a performance modification.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2006
    We use firewire drives at work. A LOT of them. They go out all the time, but most often the drive itself is fine, it's just the chipset in the case that goes bad. Pop it into a new case, all is hunky dory.

I'm off to back up now..
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2006
    JimM wrote:
    Shay, any chance these were laptop or notebook hard drives? I have been toasting a lot of them too lately. I think photo processing and copying gigs from CF cards move a lot of data to the hard drives. IMHO these laptops were not designed for this hard use of the hd's and these things generate heat. The overheat then damages the drives. Just my experiences, but I have learned not to trust notebook harddrives for photo uses and am actually considering drilling some extra holes in the notebook to allow for more cooling.

No this is a desktop unit. My laptop did die earlier this year while I was in Charlotte NC though, that was when I dumped the idea of a photo editing laptop. I now consider laptops to be 1-2 year disposable devices. So now I only buy cheap as dirt laptops mwink.gif and only use them occasionally when travelling.

A big update, the main data drive was still in the computer late last night when I booted into linux. The startup routine ran a scheduled fsck (file system check) and it found some htree inodes (don't ask me what those are) that were bad, fixed them, and the drive was readable again. I was able to make a backup of the data I created the night before....wings.gifso now I am off Scott free and will be ordering a new drive today. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    We use firewire drives at work. A LOT of them. They go out all the time, but most often the drive itself is fine, it's just the chipset in the case that goes bad. Pop it into a new case, all is hunky dory.

I'm off to back up now..

I had that happen to me. I had a usb enclosure hdd and it stopped caring what I wanted. I pulled it out of the case and used my special usb cable, and I'm still using the drive :-)
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2006
    and used my special usb cable, and I'm still using the drive :-)
    :uhoh
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2006
    I download all my pics onto my F drive on the computer. Then I back them up on two different USB hard drives, one which I keep offsite. Then smugmug supposedly keeps three copies in three different locations. *Knock on wood* I've never had a hard drive go bad since I got into PC's in 1997. Maxtor, Western Digital or Seagate.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2006
    If I was a pro photographer, I would have a hot-swappable RAID-5 or RAID-10 array for my photos. That way if a single disk (or two with RAID-10) dies, I can still work. Optimally, also have a hot spare, then the array would be humming along after rebuild while you RMA the bad one.

But then again... I'm extra paranoid about my data.

(Note, this would be in addition to other methods of backup, not instead of)
    Chris
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2006
    ChrisJ wrote:
    If I was a pro photographer, I would have a hot-swappable RAID-5 or RAID-10 array for my photos. That way if a single disk (or two with RAID-10) dies, I can still work. Optimally, also have a hot spare, then the array would be humming along after rebuild while you RMA the bad one.

…but I've been told raid systems are quite expensive. Aren't they?

We are not all working in the fashion network :D
  • Options
    rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2006
    my computer died too! it's a bad month for electronics... :(

it makes me SICK that my computer doesn't work, so I know exactly how you feel! I'm glald I had all of my good photos on my website and on some CDs laying around the house..

my next computer WILL BE a MACINTOSH - - - - that's for sure.

- rE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2006
    AntoineD wrote:
    …but I've been told raid systems are quite expensive. Aren't they?

We are not all working in the fashion network :D
    Many modern motherboards can handle at least RAID-1 (mirror) and sometimes RAID-5 with their built-in disk controllers.

Most operating systems can also do RAID via software alone. In some cases this is a performace hit, in others it's not (depends on the OS and the comparative hardware controller).

The primary (physical) cost of a RAID system is the disks themselves. Disks are cheap!
    Chris
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    :uhoh

Silly goose, this is what I mean:
    http://www.infotechnow.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=3457

You can plug any IDE hard drive into that and read it on any computer with usb thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2006
    ChrisJ wrote:

But then again... I'm extra paranoid about my data.

(Note, this would be in addition to other methods of backup, not instead of)

I have been kicking that idea around my head for a while. Nothing has really gelled yet though.
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2006
    rosselliot wrote:
    my computer died too! it's a bad month for electronics... :(

it makes me SICK that my computer doesn't work, so I know exactly how you feel! I'm glald I had all of my good photos on my website and on some CDs laying around the house..

my next computer WILL BE a MACINTOSH - - - - that's for sure.

- rE

That won't save you from hardware failure or data corruption though, just keep that in mind. But I was happy to see that my linux system fixed my drive wings.gif