Options

Canon 24-70 f/2.8L

SugarloafurSugarloafur Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
edited November 30, 2006 in Cameras
I know this lens has been the topic of discussion in comparison to other lenses (specifically the 24-105 f/4L). I'm considering purchasing this lens in the next couple of days, and I'm looking for some first hand experiences with it. Weight is not an issue for me, if it's heavy, I'll get over it. I shoot with an XT.

So here's my story: I have the Canon 70-200mm f/4L that I use for sports and such. I also have the 18-55mm kit lens. I'm looking to replace the kit lens, and then some. Things I'd like to shoot with this lens: unicycling in the woods (variable lighting), biking, hiking, skiing (in the woods or on trails, probably bring the 70-200 also), and some portraits/candids. From what I have heard and read, it seems to be a great, durable lens, very sharp with fast AF. If that's the case, there's not much else I could ask for. My question is this: Is the AF fast enough to shoot sports (mostly closeup with few exceptions) and will I be happy with my purchase (we all know we're happy with new glass, so I'm really just asking about the AF). I've done a lot of sports photography with my 70-200, and the AF isn't quite fast enough for some of it (some of which was US Alpine Nationals ~70mph skiers - understandable, and some unicycling/biking outdoors).

Any reviews on the lens as a whole? AF? Action? Optics?

Thanks a bunch...

Comments

• Options
    cabinetbuffcabinetbuff Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2006
    The lens is great -- I use it more and more.

Clarity and color are great -- comparable to 70-200 2.8 I have.

Here's a sample:

87684700-M.jpg

To me the winning factor over 24-105 was the fact that the hood on 24-70 is attached to the lens body not the extending part which I feel is a much safer and stronger design. I can bang the hood onto things without worrying that something will be knocked out of alignment inside the lens:

see:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-24-70mm-f-2.8-L-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

That and 2.8 on 24-70 was a decision maker for me.
  • Options
    PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2006
    I have used the 24-70 for sports on my 1D2N, and it is plenty fast to focus. I think the limiting factor in your case will not be the lens, but the body. I can tell you with 100% certainty that my 1D focuses at least 2X faster then my 20D did with the same lens, and in the same lighting.

I don't have any samples handy, as this years Boy's b-ball hasn't started yet up here....
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2006
    Thanks for the replies. I know the body is the limiting factor, but I'm setting up for upgrading later on... A new body will be so much more exciting with an array of lenses.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited November 26, 2006
    If you need the faster speed, f2.8. then the 24-70 L is what you want.

In the shade, in the woods, you may prefer it.

I find I use the 24-105 a lot more out of doors than the 24-70, simply due to size, weight, and focal length.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2006
    I just ordered from B&H... I hope I love it.
  • Options
    PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2006
    I'm sure you will!
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    cyclendocyclendo Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited November 28, 2006
    I think it will be a good fit for your setup thus far. I look foward to seeing some awesome shots with it.
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2006
    Its big.... let us know what you think. When I attached it to my XT, I was shocked at the size of it. Made my XT look like a crap accessory. I eventually sent it back, and stuck with my Tamron for now. Great lens though.
  • Options
    Tom K.Tom K. Registered Users Posts: 817 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2006
    I just ordered from B&H... I hope I love it.
    I hope you used the psnov code at B&H. The lens is a bargain at $1074.95

If you didn't use the code call them up and change the order. Plus you get a $50 rebate. Here is a direct link: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=470436&is=USA&addedTroughType=search
    Visit My Web Site ~ http://www.tomkaszuba.com/
  • Options
    jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2006
    Thanks for the replies. I know the body is the limiting factor, but I'm setting up for upgrading later on... A new body will be so much more exciting with an array of lenses.

Oh, the XT isn't really that limited; it has a nice imager and this lens will allow you to use it to the fullest. I shot with a 28-70 (previous model of the lens you're looking at) using a 300D for two years before upgrading the body, and really only upgraded because the 300D recycled much too slowly (5sec per frame after the first four ... painful at times). I took many superb shots with that lens/body combination. The 30D I replaced the 300D with is a much nicer body in lots of ways, but it doesn't really take better pictures. It's just a lot faster at it (as is the XT), and the ergonomics are better (not true of the XT unfortunately).

I think the only thing you're likely to have trouble with using the XT is the small form-factor of the body in relation to the large lens. Your hand is kind of cramped up in the first place, and supporting a big lens makes that worse. It will help a lot if you get a battery pack to help balance it.

Enjoy the lens, it really is a great piece of glass. The only one in my kit that I like more is the 70-200 f/2.8 IS L, but the shorter lens is a much more useful range so it sees a lot more camera time.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2006
    Tom K. wrote:
    I hope you used the psnov code at B&H. The lens is a bargain at $1074.95

If you didn't use the code call them up and change the order. Plus you get a $50 rebate. Here is a direct link: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=470436&is=USA&addedTroughType=search

I did use psnov, I got the discount, and I'm looking forward to the canon rebate!
  • Options
    Tom K.Tom K. Registered Users Posts: 817 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2006
    I did use psnov, I got the discount, and I'm looking forward to the canon rebate!
    Another idea is to buy the cheapest lens Canon has on the rebate list and that will double your rebate on both lenses. I bought the 24-105 L and the 135 f/2 L and saved an additional $150 with the double rebate. You could get a $100 rebate on the 24-70 and then if you didn't like the cheaper lens you bought you could easily sell it at cost.
    Visit My Web Site ~ http://www.tomkaszuba.com/
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2006
    jimf wrote:
    I think the only thing you're likely to have trouble with using the XT is the small form-factor of the body in relation to the large lens. Your hand is kind of cramped up in the first place, and supporting a big lens makes that worse. It will help a lot if you get a battery pack to help balance it.

My hands are large, so I ended up buying the battery grip before I even had my zoom lens just so it would fit my hands better. And the main reason I think the body is the limiting factor with such a lens is the chop frame at 1.6x... And, I really enjoy shooting action and sequences, and 3fps just doesn't cut it unfortunately.

Thanks for all the great replies.
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2006
    I'm alittle late to this (sorry, out on vacation using the heck out of my 24-70 :D ).

It's a fantastic lens. IMHO the size & weight "penalty" are well worth the tradeoff in versatility. It's fast and sharp with a well-deserved stellar reputation. It is a permament part of my lineup & currently lives on the camera most of the time.