Options

A Great Man

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited December 23, 2004 in People
Philip Simmons, 92 yrs old, did a signing at an art gallery on Saturday Dec 18th. In his lifetime, he has crafted over 500 pieces in wrought iron for homes, gardens, schools, and churches. Many of his pieces are magnificent gates, the pride of Charleston. He has been recognized nationally and has pieces in the Smithsonian.

I was privileged to be able to photograph him. He is a very kind, gentle man with a very agile mind for someone of his age. He continues to live in his home in east Charleston, with his workplace on the property. There he trains someone to continue this old tradition.

ginger
12879097-L.jpg

12894862-S.jpg I hope this is better. The large size is found under Portrait Simmons 2, or something like that in this thread. I tried to minimize the effects of the flash to bring out the eyes more. He is blind in the right one. Comments? ginger

I offered to take photos for a woman who bought a large print of one of his gates, but had forgotten to bring a camera.

They both look at the magnificent gate that he had forged.

12879101-L.jpg

During a lull in the signing, he went off by himself and looked at the art pieces that were displayed. It is probable that is one of his pieces of iron work, the fence. I don't know. The American Flag and the South Carolina flag are flying together. Those hands that have done so much to beautify his beloved country are at rest behind him.

12870165-M.jpg

Here he signs a matted print of his work. I am going to remember to use a piece of cardboard every time I have to write my signature.

12879103-M.jpg

Finally, here is a picture that I asked Bill to take. He is signing a book for me. It is called, Catching The Fire. Not a new book, but very interesting about his life and his work. He was born in 1912.

Notice the paintings on the wall by various artists. It made for a very interesting afternoon.

12879096-M.jpg

g
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2004
    wonderful
    Wonderful story, set of photos, and especially the portrait.

Too bad I am so very far away - I'd love to find an artist or craftsman to do some wrought iron for me!

Thanks for sharing these.
    ann
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2004
    Ginger, I love the first portrait. Composition and subject work together very well to make a memorable image. Technically, I think you might be able to improve it a little. It seems over sharpened to me, especially the white hairs of his beard and perhaps the red of his eyes. Perhaps your camera focused on his nose instead of his eyes? The 10D chooses the closest autofocus point and probably so does the DRebel. Try burning in his pupils a little to make his eyes look sharper? Also I find the flash reflection a little distracting, but I'm not sure you can do anything about that.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited December 20, 2004
    Ginger,

Decorative iron work is a real pleasure to look at. Especially something as
    pleasing as the gate.

Very glad to hear he's passing his expertise on to future generations.

Nice portrait work too!

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited December 20, 2004
    Nice Ginger
    And a very interesting story to go along with these nice pics clap.gif

I too, like the first shot. You did everything well on your end and that little tilt of his head is perfect :D

Thanks for this little glimpse into Phil's life and work (man that gate in the pic is awesome).

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    Thiago SigristThiago Sigrist Registered Users Posts: 336 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2004
    Ginger,
    I agree with you and everyone else here: Phil surely looks *amazing*!

The pose on the portrait is excellent, his expression is full of character, and the Santa Claus touch was really nice, it made me smile! Portraits are about getting the best from the models, and this is what happens here! Well done!

Thanks so much for sharing!
    Take care!

-- thiago