Options

Chug, Chug

AZsnapperAZsnapper Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
edited November 29, 2006 in Digital Darkroom
OK, my trusted Dell laptop is pretty nice. 1600x1080 display, 128meg video, 1gig RAM, 1.73 P4, Winbloats XP. Worked fine and fast for my normal web graphics work, but....

Now that I'm doing more photographic work, and re-sampling to a 20x30 image, applying, for instance, an USM on a file of that size is a bit of a chore (read: get another cup of coffee)

So, who uses a Mac Powerbook? Is it pretty fast for such large file sizes? I know a guy that can build me a screaming PC laptop for pretty cheap, but for some reason Mac's have always been on my 'back burner'

And then there's the software issue, my Flash, Illustrator, CS2, etc.... Would hate to have to re-purchase full versions of everything.

What to do - should I go Mac and not look back? Or go with a faster PC?
Visit my web site
www.shadowlakes.com

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited November 29, 2006
    ..bump.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2006
    Eek...I would hate to have to get all the software again as well. I would say stay with PC, but then I've never used a Mac. They do seem to be the tops when it comes to dealing with photos though. Got anything to sell to put towards a Mac fund? ne_nau.gif
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
  • Options
    AZsnapperAZsnapper Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited November 29, 2006
    Mac
    Thanks for the input.

I thought I was asking a legit question, if people who used Macs and how they perform, but I gues some people seemed to have thought asking about a computer platform is somehow spam. Go Figure.

JenW wrote:
    Eek...I would hate to have to get all the software again as well. I would say stay with PC, but then I've never used a Mac. They do seem to be the tops when it comes to dealing with photos though. Got anything to sell to put towards a Mac fund? ne_nau.gif
    Visit my web site
    www.shadowlakes.com
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited November 29, 2006
    There have been numerous PC vs MAC threads here and maybe we're all worn out by it. Both work. Better machines work faster than lesser ones. Get 4 Gb RAM if you can. Do a search here on dgrin with PC vs MAC and see what you find....

If you have a current licensed version of Photoshop in WIN XP, I think you can swap if with Adobe for a MAC version. In other words, Adobe will not make you purchase a second copy for a MAC.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin