Options

Baby Portrait...

Tim KirkwoodTim Kirkwood Registered Users Posts: 900 Major grins
edited December 23, 2004 in People
Here is another shot of my friends baby....let me know what you think... thanks all
www.KirkwoodPhotography.com

Speak with sweet words, for you never know when you may have to eat them....

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited December 21, 2004
    Here is another shot of my friends baby....let me know what you think... thanks all

Thats a lot of red - a lot of red - kind of an overwhelming amount of red. I might consider dialing back the red saturation in the dress and go for a more pastel look since the rest of the image is kind of a high key look. Ya think??
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Tim KirkwoodTim Kirkwood Registered Users Posts: 900 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2004
    Thanks for the tip pathfinder, I will give that a try and see how it looks

What you do you think the best method would be for doing such a thing? I am not a pro at PS yet.

Thanks
    Tim
    www.KirkwoodPhotography.com

Speak with sweet words, for you never know when you may have to eat them....
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2004
    Thanks for the tip pathfinder, I will give that a try and see how it looks

What you do you think the best method would be for doing such a thing? I am not a pro at PS yet.

Thanks
    Tim

I would use Select > Color range and then I would use the eye dropper that your cursor turns into and click on the red of the dress and slide the slider trying to minimize selection of the red hues in the infants skin. I would then use Select>Feather maybe 3 or 4 pixels and click OK. Then I would create a adjustment layer of Hue/Saturation and reduce the saturation of the red to back it off a little. Kind of just decide by eyeballing it really. The beauty of adjustment layers being that if you don't like it - no harm done - delete the layer and start over or just readjust to taste.

I am afraid if you just try to desaturate the whole image that it will negatively effect the skin tones of the infant. Try my suggestion above and see what you come up with. clap.gif

• Options
    edited December 21, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    I would use Select > Color range and then I would use the eye dropper that your cursor turns into and click on the red of the dress and slide the slider trying to minimize selection of the red hues in the infants skin. I would then use Select>Feather maybe 3 or 4 pixels and click OK. Then I would create a adjustment layer of Hue/Saturation and reduce the saturation of the red to back it off a little. Kind of just decide by eyeballing it really. The beauty of adjustment layers being that if you don't like it - no harm done - delete the layer and start over or just readjust to taste.

I am afraid if you just try to desaturate the whole image that it will negatively effect the skin tones of the infant. Try my suggestion above and see what you come up with. clap.gif

Here is what I tried - selected and desaturated the red - corrected the reddish coloration of the white sheets that was troubling me also - increased the saturation in the blue of the irises. Looks something like this..... Is this better or worse?

• Options
    Thiago SigristThiago Sigrist Registered Users Posts: 336 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2004
    Tim,
    very nice photo! I love it myself!

About the red tones, you were right in desaturating it, but it must be done only on the red fabric (using perhaps an adjustment layer with a mask, in PS). The extra blue sat on the eyes is great as well, and I would try playing a bit more with the saturation on the skin tones, to try bringing up that warmth and blush usually associated with babies.

Thanks for sharing!
    Take care!

-- thiago
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2004
    Cute baby! I agree with the others on the "redness", although I think I would have desaturated the thing under the baby, instead of the dress. Since I'm in a waxy kinda mood, I also think the face is kinda soft. Can you sharpen it any or is it a focus issue?

Lastly, there are two colors that I stay away from when shooting people (including babies): red and yellow. Both of them tend to do weird things to skintones. But that's just me.

Keep shooting the baby! (stop it lynnma...I know what you're thinking).
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson