Options

Lenses/Tripod

FristlesFristles Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
edited December 24, 2004 in Accessories
I'm new at cameras although I've been taking pictures with "cheapies" for about 10 years, and now that I am able to buy nice stuff I am trying to learn how to work cameras. Any recommended sites?

I'm looking for an Tripod for my Dig. Canon Powershot and wondering if any would work?

Also looking for a new lense, any suggestions? I like taking close ups of people but also like far away pictures as well.

Thanks,
Fristles
~*~Fristles~*~
"Unexpected actions speak louder than words."

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,906 moderator
    edited December 22, 2004
    Fristles wrote:
    I'm new at cameras although I've been taking pictures with "cheapies" for about 10 years, and now that I am able to buy nice stuff I am trying to learn how to work cameras. Any recommended sites?

I'm looking for an Tripod for my Dig. Canon Powershot and wondering if any would work?

Also looking for a new lense, any suggestions? I like taking close ups of people but also like far away pictures as well.

Thanks,
    Fristles
    The lenses you're talking about are best purchased, if available, from Canon
    or another reputable source. I'm assuming you'd be using a thread on type
    for the Powershot--but if you give a model, we can probably make a better
    recommendation.

Tripods. You can find a variety of different tripods to meet your needs.
    Ideally, the legs would be tall enough that you can use the 'pod without
    using the center column. It would have enough weight to keep it from
    vibrating. And be light enough to carry around. Several people, myself
    included, use Bogen 3021's. This tripod (no head) is priced around $130.
    Depending on the weight of your camera, this might be overkill. But you'll
    have it for a long time.

The search feature (look on the menu bar) might help you with other
    tripod threads too.

Welcome aboard!

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2004
    Fristles wrote:
    Welcome Fristles, I don't think you'll find a better site to learn from than this one, post a few pictures or enter the challenges and you'll get a good idea of what I mean. There's such a wide range of people here (absolute begginners-pros) and they're all very willing to help. thumb.gif
  • Options
    TrevenTreven Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited December 22, 2004
    I have the Manfrotto 3001B Pro tripod legs with the 3030 head; bought it at B&H this past summer for about $180. It's good & solid and heavy - it's not gonna tip over in the wind.

thumb.gif
    Fristles wrote:

Thanks,
    Fristles
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2004
    $40 tripod for me...works great & i cant even feel the weight when im out with it as its so light. If it breaks then i buy another..no great loss.

Wind can be a problem but i dont really shoot in high winds.
  • Options
    FristlesFristles Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited December 24, 2004
    Thanks guys for answering! :D
    ~*~Fristles~*~
    "Unexpected actions speak louder than words."