Options

My Lens Woes... kind of

jsedlakjsedlak Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
edited December 4, 2006 in Cameras
So, my mom has asked for a new camera for christmas and my father has decided on getting her a black XTi! Yeah, the same camera as me. He has decided to not get her the kit and opt out for a third lens... He had picked out the Canon 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 USM. I had picked out the Canon 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM II not really knowing anything about either lenses. He was going to get "us" the 24-105 f/4L IS... but it is "too expensive" (and I quote him: "It costs more than the camera body!") and I would always be using it (god forbid).

So I know this is unusual because most people here do not shop for lower priced lenses but is there anything I (we) should know about either of these lenses...? The budget is basically less than $400 for the lens unfortunately...

And yes, I am trying to save up for the 24-105L by myself... I am getting their, albeit slowly! :thumb

Comments

• Options
    surlysurly Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited December 3, 2006
    28?
    28 on the wide end would really suck.
    Then again I like fisheyes too.
  • Options
    TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2006
    I realize that it was not a listed option, and that it is a bit more than $400, but Dad should look really hard at the EF-S 17-85. It's a GREAT walk around lens and the IS will make the whole package an infinitely better shooter.

My 0.02.

The 17mm (27mm effective) is wide enough for most people, and it could be easily complemented later with any one of several 70-210s or 75-300s (IS and non-IS) that Canon has available. How many? Five? Six?
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • Options
    jsedlakjsedlak Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2006
    Tommyboy wrote:
    I realize that it was not a listed option, and that it is a bit more than $400, but Dad should look really hard at the EF-S 17-85. It's a GREAT walk around lens and the IS will make the whole package an infinitely better shooter.

My 0.02.

The 17mm (27mm effective) is wide enough for most people, and it could be easily complemented later with any one of several 70-210s or 75-300s (IS and non-IS) that Canon has available. How many? Five? Six?

Yeah I had mentioned that one, but it was disregarded because it wasn't "zoomy" enough, ie it did not have enough on the telephoto end.

Never-the-less, I sent him the reviews (thank you) and he decided by himself and is not willing to tell me as it is a suprise now.

As for 28mm being sucky, I really like the wide end of the kit lens (18mm). Add to that the crop factor and 28 becomes 44mm effective on my camera.
  • Options
    erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2006
    Bob Atkins has a good rundown on all Canon lenses: http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/10d300dlenses.html

If you're looking for a cheap one-size-fits-all lens with a wide zoom range you may be better off with a Tokina or Tamron.

Erich
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2006
    I would not recommend any of the lenses you are considering as they are a bit old and optically not the best for the money in my view. Plus 28mm is not very wide on an XTi.

I'd recommend a Sigma 17-70 DC f2.8-4.5. Optically, it's a bit better than the Cannon 17-85 and has a wider aperature, which allows for a brighter viewfinder. It is about $350 from reputable online vendors like beachcamera.com. If she is interested in a 10x or so zoom, I'd recommend the Tamron 18-200mm, it's about $350 as well, but I'd avoid these mega zoom lenses unless she wants a 10x zoom that can do it all. Optically it'll be worse than the Sigma.

Check bobatkins.com for decent cannon lens reviews and check pricegrabber.com for online store prices and store ratings as well.

Good luck.